LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Megan LP vs EZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 12:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My quick search, Megan 12/8 and the BC is 12/10. To soft up front or rear?

Some discussion here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ring-rate.html

If one is accustomed to the IS-F than yeah, this is going to feel like your couch let alone the stock springs.
Old 04-06-12, 08:56 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so the LPs and EZs have the same spring rates. Both have the ishue in the rear. Other than more dampening levels on the LPs with the same stiffness. Why should I buy the LPs over the EZs? Also, I'm lost on the whole drooping springs or dropping the preloads...
Old 04-06-12, 09:35 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
uhh idk where you guys get your info from, but the LPs and the EZs share the same rear mount design, both will slam the front and drop the rear pretty low.

the difference comes in valving and material choice.
Sorry, but the rears maxed out with a 3-4 1/2" gap between the threads and a 2 finger gap isn't low enough for me. I got my info from a fellow member here who also has a 98-00 and had LP's. He eventually switched them out for D2 coilovers, but now he's on PBM's. Guess who!

Last edited by xtremex626; 04-06-12 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 09:41 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by ocr
Ok so the LPs and EZs have the same spring rates. Both have the ishue in the rear. Other than more dampening levels on the LPs with the same stiffness. Why should I buy the LPs over the EZs? Also, I'm lost on the whole drooping springs or dropping the preloads...
Yes, LP and EZ has same exact spring rates. From what I am hearing, EZ has issue in the rear, LP has issue in the front. I can confirm this because I have EZ's and they have the issue in the rear and my buddy had LP's and he had the issue in the front.

Drooping the springs and dropping the preloads is essentially performing the same task which is basically letting the springs hang to go lower since the coils are already maxed out. You do this by unlocking the top 2 collars and lowering the whole spring perch down. Megan states to not droop over 3cm, but I've done 4cm and it's fine. Doing this will compromise shock travel and the rears will become more soft of course.

Not to mention if you are or want to be slammed, you're going to bottom out everywhere even with the max stiffness. I experience this everyday . You really do get what you paid for in the automotive industry.

Not trying to stray people away from Megan products, but I simply got the EZ's cause I'm on a tight budget. If I had money to shell out, I'd get PBM's. But then again, it really depends what your daily applications are.

Last edited by xtremex626; 04-06-12 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 10:47 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
Sorry, but the rears maxed out with a 3-4 1/2" gap between the threads and a 2 finger gap isn't low enough for me. I got my info from a fellow member here who also has a 98-00 and had LP's. He eventually switched them out for D2 coilovers, but now he's on PBM's. Guess who!
Vincent! LMAO!
Old 04-06-12, 11:56 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Not trying to stray people away from Megan products, but I simply got the EZ's cause I'm on a tight budget. If I had money to shell out, I'd get PBM's. But then again, it really depends what your daily appliyations are.
I'm on a tight budget also. Id much rather have a forward rake then a reverse rake. Idealy would be no rake at all. I like to ride low, but I also like halling *** around corners. I can play with tire sizes to close the gap in the rear and use a lip & side skirts to give the visual aperance of being rilly low.
Old 04-06-12, 12:08 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

On the ls and gs, youre more likely to see a reverse rake aka boated because the rear fenders are alot lower than the front fenders. If the gap between the front and rear fenders are the same, you will notice the overall car will already be raked. Most people dump the rears lower than the fronts to even out the rake.
Old 04-06-12, 12:19 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, LP and EZ has same exact spring rates. From what I am hearing, EZ has issue in the rear, LP has issue in the front. I can confirm this because I have EZ's and they have the issue in the rear and my buddy had LP's and he had the issue in the front.
possible that they were swapped, front to back between you two? i think megans all use the same shock cartridge length, and it's just the mounts and spring rates that differ from front to rear.
Old 04-06-12, 12:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

lol.. if you're looking to go "low", you'd want the LP's over the EZ's because if you get the EZ's like i did, you'll have to drop the preloads in the rear in order to be low. the rears maxed out on the EZ's is a two finger gap. the fronts however have no problem going low.

iirc, the LP's are the opposite of the EZ's. fronts can't slam but rears can. either way, the solution to this would be to drop the preloads. or you can avoid that by getting other coils beside megans.

^that's with 4cm of droop of the springs in the rear.
Sounds like a formula to mix them. Then as Vincent mentioned in the other thread, buy coils that drop more already.

So effectively, how much drop was achievable without adjusting the preload?

Having this info for the Megan EZ, LP, BC, D2 is good info for the suspension section of the FAQ. (This all varies with wheels/tires but as a rough indicator what we can expect is good. )
Old 04-06-12, 01:51 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by RA40
So effectively, how much drop was achievable without adjusting the preload?

this is the rear maxed out (not messing with the preloads) on a 35 series tire on an 18" wheel just for reference. if you went with a 40 series, that's a 1 finger gap, which still isn't low for some people.

Last edited by xtremex626; 04-06-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 01:57 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
possible that they were swapped, front to back between you two? i think megans all use the same shock cartridge length, and it's just the mounts and spring rates that differ from front to rear.
impossible for me since i double checked the spring rates before installing the coils onto the car. 12k f / 8k r .
Old 04-06-12, 02:39 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

LP and EZ feel like/are practically the same shiet, i prefer the blue color shocks cus it looks coooooooooooooooooolerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 04-06-12, 07:47 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the rear maxed out (not messing with the preloads) on a 35 series tire on an 18" wheel just for reference. if you went with a 40 series, that's a 1 finger gap, which still isn't low for some people.
damn thats not low at all lol i maxed out the rear and am tucking a bit of tire, im on 225/45/18s as well. maybe on the ucf10 it gets you a bit lower then the 20? or maybe just my tire size? haha
Old 04-06-12, 08:10 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Hmm.. if I could find someone looking for coils but not looking to go super low, id go halfs with em to buy both LPs and EZs and I'd take the EZ fronts and LP rears. Other person lot looking to go as low as what I plan on would get the LP fronts and EZ rears.
Old 04-06-12, 10:39 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by Do.Man
damn thats not low at all lol i maxed out the rear and am tucking a bit of tire, im on 225/45/18s as well. maybe on the ucf10 it gets you a bit lower then the 20? or maybe just my tire size? haha
Nah its your tire size. It would make sense that you'd be barely tucking on 45 series cause i stated previously that a 35 series is 2 finger gap, 40 series is 1 finger gap, 45 series is no gap/barely tucking.

Quick Reply: Megan LP vs EZ