LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster / Engine fails to fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 10:51 AM
Mfess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster / Engine fails to fire

1992 Lexus LS 400 -
My son was driving yesterday and the instrument cluster went out / black. The car still continued to operate normally the rest of the day. However, this morning he went out to start it and it would not fire. I went and tried it and it has a strong crank repetitively but just will not fire. My first thought is a fuel pump? Second thought is the two issues mentioned are linked and don't want to go down the rabbit hole. Strong new battery, Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, plug wires, radiator all replace year and a half ago. The car has been running exceptional until this. Could the two above issues be linked? I have not yet check the fuses etc.; I thought I would do some research first. Ideas?

Last edited by Mfess; 06-04-19 at 11:03 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 06-05-19, 11:41 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

We're not sure on the firing issue, but these instrument clusters do have a lot of issues including the total loss of lighting. If you determine they are separate issues and want to get the instrument cluster repaired, then check out our repair services at https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...luster-repair/

Let us know if you have any questions and good luck!!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-05-19, 04:54 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Cranking but no start could be a fuel issue, but it could also be a security system problem. I would start with the security system, since it is easy to check. I am not certain this will solve it though, considering the circumstances. The cluster failure may or may not be related to the no start condition.

With regards to the security system:

To note, a red light will flash on your dashboard intermittently if the system is active.

To reset the security system, turn the key to the lock position in the ignition, then lock all of the doors and exit the vehicle. Make sure the hood, trunk, and sunroof (if applicable) are closed, then unlock the car with the physical key in the driver's side door lock. From this point, try to start the car again.

Note that disconnecting the battery will not disable the security system, if it is active. It must be deactivated first by unlocking either front doors of the car with the physical key.

You can read up about the Security system in your owners manual, page 66:
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...pdf/1-7_68.pdf

This thread may get more attention if moved to the regular LS 1st gen forum, instead of the Build Threads section. A moderator can have it moved there.

If this reset does not work, you can check for spark and fuel pressure. There are other threads explaining how to do those here.
Old 06-05-19, 06:05 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 2000 LS400. I left the key in the ignition, and in the ‘ACC’ position. Subsequently drained the battery. After I jumped it, the car started right up, but the instrument cluster,
back-lighting, and the gauges were all inoperative.
Per instructions from this forum, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for five or six hours. After reconnecting the battery terminal, everything worked as it should. Problem solved. Thanks to all the guidance on this phone.
The following users liked this post:
TaninAuto (06-06-19)