LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Head light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 09:20 PM
Norbecke
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head light assembly

Hello,
My wife was driving down the highway last week when she had a piece of tire tread get knocked up and smacked into her headlight. It caused a nasty crack now i have to replace the whole assembly since you cant just replace the lens, the car is a 1999 with factory hid lights. Other than the dealer where would be good place to find another head light, i tried a few wrecking yards but no luck there any help would be appreciated. btw the dealer wants like 650 otd.

thank you,
Erik
Old 03-02-12, 09:48 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Norbecke
Hello,
My wife was driving down the highway last week when she had a piece of tire tread get knocked up and smacked into her headlight. It caused a nasty crack now i have to replace the whole assembly since you cant just replace the lens, the car is a 1999 with factory hid lights. Other than the dealer where would be good place to find another head light, i tried a few wrecking yards but no luck there any help would be appreciated. btw the dealer wants like 650 otd.

thank you,
Erik
Try ebay,parts.com, amazon, & Craigslist.
Old 03-03-12, 12:13 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

definitely not worth it to buy a new headlight unit, which costs 1k+. use car-parts.com, its a very good source! it will direct you to specific junkyards that have it.
Old 03-03-12, 03:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

car-part.com

make sure you get one that's from another HID-equipped car. and make sure the auto-levelling works.
Old 03-03-12, 06:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Norbeck, do you have "comprehensive" insurance coverage? Damage from something flying through the air should be covered by comprehensive - not collision coverage. This kind of event is why I carry a zero deductible on comprehensive. (I have the highest allowable deductible on collision.) Zero deductible on comprehensive is usually just a few dollars more a year and claims on comprehensive coverage usually don't affect rates.

I had $4000 in repairs done last year after a semi bounced some sort of large unidentifiable plastic object into my lane - new bumper cover, fog light, turn signal and the left side of my car repainted. Cost to me = $0. It was a bad day for insurance companies - countless cars hit the same object.
Old 03-03-12, 06:53 AM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Norbeck, do you have "comprehensive" insurance coverage? Damage from something flying through the air should be covered by comprehensive - not collision coverage. ....
Best explanation I've seen:

"Collision coverage pays for damage when your vehicle collides with another car or stationary object. Many people think that collision coverage only covers damage from crashing into another car, but if you scrape your car on the side of the garage or back into your neighbor's mailbox you would file a collision claim.

Comprehensive coverage, sometimes called "other than collision" coverage, pays for damage to your vehicle caused by means other than collision. Losses resulting from theft, fire, vandalism, animals and falling objects are covered by comprehensive coverage. Damage caused by natural disasters and broken glass--like windshield damage--are also covered under comprehensive coverage."
Old 03-03-12, 09:00 AM
Norbecke
Rookie

No she don't have comp on her car. I, have been telling her for months to get it. I will try car-part.com. Looks like after a fix this I will be adding this onto her, car when we combine insurance.
Old 03-03-12, 09:15 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my headlight assy's recently and they were the same ones like yours with HIDs. If you want junkyard headlight unit then you can go for it. But I wanted brand new lens and housing. If your ballast, level motor and bulbs are fine then all you have to do is order the lens and housing for HID type. Which is what I did. I got the lens and housing from 1Aauto.com for $222.00 each(make sure you choose the one that says HID on it). They ship really quick too and they offer a 3 warranty if there turns out to be any defect in the unit. Once you receive the it all you have to do is take the motor, ballast and bulbs out of your cracked assy and put it into the new one and you are ready to go.

P.S if you do this be careful when you're taking out and installing the motor, it is very fragile.