LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Valve cover gasket..anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 05:45 PM
Live4brew
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Valve cover gasket..anything else?

Going to replace valve cover gaskets due to a small leak. 98ls400 216k. Anything else I should pay attention to/attack while I'm doing it?
Old 02-26-12, 06:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

replace the pcv valve+grommet (do it when the cover's out), make sure you have some black FIPG for the corners, don't overtorque the vc bolts, check any of the vacuum lines to make sure they're not cracked/hard.
Old 02-26-12, 06:27 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you've done your timing belt/water pump, since doing the cam seals are right there too. The 98 motor IS an interference motor, so you should be doing your timing belt every 60k on Schedule A maintenence vehicle.

Just something to think about. Also you should at least see if you have any other leaks, but useually the valve cover leak tends to just make a mess and look like other stuff is leaking lower down the motor too.

Good luck! Where in NC are you located?

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 06:40 PM
Live4brew
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtamulis
Make sure you've done your timing belt/water pump, since doing the cam seals are right there too. The 98 motor IS an interference motor, so you should be doing your timing belt every 60k on Schedule A maintenence vehicle.

Just something to think about. Also you should at least see if you have any other leaks, but useually the valve cover leak tends to just make a mess and look like other stuff is leaking lower down the motor too.

Jeff
I'm in Durham. You? My timing was done 15k ago.
Old 02-26-12, 06:43 PM
Live4brew
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
replace the pcv valve+grommet (do it when the cover's out), make sure you have some black FIPG for the corners, don't overtorque the vc bolts, check any of the vacuum lines to make sure they're not cracked/hard.
FIPG in addition to the new gaskets? Why is that?
Old 02-26-12, 06:53 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

The fipg is good for getting into the corners which will lose some of the rubberyness over time. I like not only putting a small pea sized bead in the corners like it says to do in the service manual, but I will gently coat the entire gasket in fipg. It makes it much less likely to leak in the future. You're supposed to use fipg entirely AS the gasket on oil pans, so why not?
Old 02-26-12, 07:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Jeff
1-all xUZ engines are 90k mile schedule for timing belts, no exceptions. '95+ 1uz (LS) and '96+ (everything else) are all interference.

2-on all vvt-i engines doing the cam seals is a completely separate task as unlike in earlier (UZ) engines, you can't just pull the seal. you have to remove the cams to replace the seals. unless they're leaking (a LOT) just leave them alone.

Originally Posted by Live4brew
FIPG in addition to the new gaskets? Why is that?
the FSM calls for FIPG spots around the camshaft clearances at the front and rear of the heads.

Replacing the spark plug seals is a good idea if you're up for it, though it is both slightly pricey (~$40-50 for seals) and a real pain to do as you have to bend tabs out, push the old seals out (they still break and you end up chiseling/plying them out), lubing/inserting the new seals, and then bending the tabs back

now's also a good time to do spark plugs, you're in there anyways.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html same places for fipg and same torque specs.
Old 02-26-12, 08:56 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

1-all xUZ engines are 90k mile schedule for timing belts, no exceptions.
That is not true. I specified Schedule "A" (which is the category, I as a driver, fall under)

According to the 1995 Lexus LS400 Repair Manual Pub No RM405U1 (Lexus Factory service manual Volume 1):

Maintenance Schedule:
Page MA-2:

Maintenance Schedule A, as I specified earlier, states to replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles. He may not fall under that catagory, but it's at least something he should be aware of. Just trying to help.

I haven't worked on the VVTi Motors so I couldn't give my input on that. The original poster simply wanted what else to know while he was in there, and I thought if he hadn't had his timing belt done, maybe its another thing to check, since it's a interference motor, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 09:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

either yours is a misprint or you misread.

the only US-published spec for a UZ engine timing belt is 90k miles. it's the same in both my '95 FSM and my '99 FSM. Also the same in my '99 Owner's Manual (supplement, i forget) and my relatives '02 LS430 owner's manual.
Old 02-26-12, 09:47 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

either yours is a misprint or you misread.

the only US-published spec for a UZ engine timing belt is 90k miles. it's the same in both my '95 FSM and my '99 FSM. Also the same in my '99 Owner's Manual (supplement, i forget) and my relatives '02 LS430 owner's manual.
Mine isn't a misprint, and I read it correctly. But I decided to double check my other 1UZ manual, just to be sure. I checked my 1994 Factory Lexus SC Service manual, publication: RM364U1 Volume 1 Page MA-2:

Schedule "A" Service (as I specified earlier) requires timing belt to be replaced every 60,000 miles or 96k kilometers.

I only work on 1995 and older vehicles, so I don't know about the newer ones, perhaps they changed it for that.

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 10:09 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

I believe I found where you misread. I believe you were reading Maintenance Schedule B (Page MA-4), (not Schedule A, as I explicitly specified each time) which -does- allows you to run the timing belt to 90,000 miles on a 1UZ-FE engine.

But your statement of:
1-all xUZ engines are 90k mile schedule for timing belts, no exceptions."
is false and misleading. The exception is, in fact, Schedule A, just as I stated earlier.

Hope that helps to clear up any confusion.

Jeff
Old 02-28-12, 07:17 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

check any of the vacuum lines to make sure they're not cracked/hard.
Quoted for truth, that's a really good idea. I was working this morning on a car and it had a cracked vacuum line near the EGR giving me an egr failure. I almost never look at vacuum lines unless it's running funny, but what I thought was gonna be a huge pain (EGR replacement) was a quick 15 second fix. so I checked all the other lines, and one of the ones going to the power steering pump was also bad, and fixed that too.
Old 02-28-12, 07:23 AM
Live4brew
Rookie

Quoted for truth, that's a really good idea. I was working this morning on a car and it had a cracked vacuum line near the EGR giving me an egr failure. I almost never look at vacuum lines unless it's running funny, but what I thought was gonna be a huge pain (EGR replacement) was a quick 15 second fix. so I checked all the other lines, and one of the ones going to the power steering pump was also bad, and fixed that too.
Should I just buy some vacuum line before I get started??
Old 02-28-12, 07:38 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

No, just check them. It might make the car run a little rough, but it'd still make it to the parts store. And they could all be ok.

Last edited by jtamulis; 02-28-12 at 08:11 AM.