LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starting Problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 06:45 PM
nmarcks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem.....

Recently my 97 LS 400 started to have starting problems, since it has dropped into the 30's and 20's at night here in Wisconsin. Every morning or if the car sits for more then a hour it just clicks when I try to start it, like when the battery is dead. When it just sits an hour or so I turn the key and click, turn the key click and usually starts sometimes might take a few more times. Overnight it may take up to 20 turns of the key before it starts.

Any suggestions??? I'm thinking the starter but the only thing is it never does it if the car is warm. Battery is new.

I bought the car last year and have found there was a recall on something to do with the iginiton. Not sure if it was ever taking in for the recall. May this be the cause of it?????

Looking for suggestions???

Thanks to all
Old 10-22-02, 08:08 PM
chliansh
Rookie

Toyota\Lexus starters have brushes that tend to wear out over time. My guess is you just need to replace these in your starter at 2X$11.95 ea. What ever you do dont waiste your money on
after market junk starter

Last edited by chliansh; 10-22-02 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 08:46 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

First I would clean up the battry connections.Many times it is as simple as that.In finding a solution to a problem start with the simplest thing and work up to increasenly more difficult problems,If your starter is in the same place as on the older model ls 400s you have to pull the intake manifold to get to it.Not an easy job.good luck.Michael .Carpe Diem.
Old 10-22-02, 08:48 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a recall for the following: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:STARTER MOTOR

Make sure your car was manufactured between 4/95 and 6/97 by checking the date of production on the drivers side door pillar.
Most likely it was done since a notice went out to all the owners.

Sounds like you have a bad battary even though you say its new. I think you may just have a defective one. Have a load test done on it.

Here is the info:

Search for records on
Year: 1997
Make: LEXUS
Model: LS400
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:STARTER MOTOR

Recalls

Check to order research. Submit below. NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 98V016000
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:STARTER MOTOR
Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD.

Year: 1997 Make: LEXUS Model: LS400 Recall Date: 02/04/1998

Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 47525
Manufactured: 04/1995 - 06/1997
Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OF THE TERMINAL FOR THE STARTER MOTOR MAGNETIC SWITCH, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT CAN OCCUR IF ELECTRICALLY-CONDUCTIVE LIQUID, SUCH AS ROAD SPLASH WITH DEICING SALT, ENTERS THIS AREA.
Consequence Summary:
A STARTER MOTOR NO-START CONDITION OR AN UNDERHOOD FIRE CAN RESULT.
Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE MAGNETIC SWITCH.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-02, 09:13 PM
Lvangundy

Funny!

I went on a break from class, ended up knocking out in my car..

Came back a hour or so later, key in, click, click. AHH MAN!

I think the lights were left on for a few hours, luckily someone had some jumper cables! ;-)
Old 09-05-03, 01:14 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nmarcks- did you ever figure out what the problem was, I'm having the same symptoms. Unfortunately, my car was manufactured 7/97 and there are no recall campaigns on my car.

Thanks,
Sean Lewis
'97 LS400
Old 09-12-03, 02:53 PM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by selewis
nmarcks- did you ever figure out what the problem was, I'm having the same symptoms. Unfortunately, my car was manufactured 7/97 and there are no recall campaigns on my car.
Hi Sean. As rybikowsky mentioned, it's possible you have a loose connection at the battery terminal. Make sure it's tight and is a good connection. The times when the car 'clicks' do you notice whether your electrical systems work properly? For instance, radio, headlight, etc when you turn the key to the Accessories position? If they don't work, then they are not getting juice from the battery, either because it's dead or because of aforementioned bad/loose connection.

However, if your other systems do work, then it's surely the starter motor. Someone mentioned brush replacements for the starter--he's mistaken, and it's likely he is referring to the alternator. There aren't any brushes in the starter motor. Usually, starter motors fail because the contact point inside is not making a good electrical contact. If you hear the click, it means the solenoid is working and 'sticking' when you turn the key, but since the contact is bad/dirty it's a hit-and-miss whether the starter motor actually engages.

The starter motor can be cleaned and made to function properly again, assuming you are mechanically inclined, or can find someone who is.

Mike
Old 09-13-03, 08:24 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When the car clicks the accessories work fine, including the lights. I replaced my 18month old Interstate Megtron battery and made sure that all connections are tight and clean.

Every couple of days the problem occurs, always when the car has been sitting for at least 24 hours.

When it starts, the starter sounds fine and spins no slower than usual.

If you hear the click, it means the solenoid is working and 'sticking' when you turn the key, but since the contact is bad/dirty it's a hit-and-miss whether the starter motor actually engages.
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I'm experiencing.

The starter motor can be cleaned and made to function properly again, assuming you are mechanically inclined, or can find someone who is.
So what you are saying is that it's just a contact problem, not faulty/failing starter solenoid or motor?
I am pretty handy in the garage and have a decent home shop in there complete with air tools, torque wrenches, etc. I'm just not looking forward to tearing apart the top of my 6 year old engine.

I'm a bit dissapointed that a $55K car has this kind of problem at only 88K miles. I expect better quality from Lexus/Toyota. My 132K mile '94 Acura Legend still runs (and starts) like new!
Old 09-15-03, 11:27 AM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by selewis

So what you are saying is that it's just a contact problem, not faulty/failing starter solenoid or motor?
I am pretty handy in the garage and have a decent home shop in there complete with air tools, torque wrenches, etc. I'm just not looking forward to tearing apart the top of my 6 year old engine.

I'm a bit dissapointed that a $55K car has this kind of problem at only 88K miles. I expect better quality from Lexus/Toyota. My 132K mile '94 Acura Legend still runs (and starts) like new! [/B]
Sean, yes, it sounds like it is just a contact problem. When the starter solenoid engages, it pulls the center 'piston' and this should contact the surrounding posts on the starter motor. Most likely, the posts are dirty or worn down and don't reliably make a good enough connection to conduct voltage.

I've not yet had to make any repairs to my LS (I've only had it for 3 weeks) but you're right, it's likely to take a few hours to get at the starter. <--Understatement? If it were me, I'd have a replacement handy if I chose to do it myself, then based on the condition of the old one and the difficulty of the job, decide whether to repair or replace. Basically, it comes down to time and interest. If you have air tools, you must be mechanically inclined and more than qualified for the job, and there are few things quite as satisfying as tackling something new and saving some money too.

If / before you embark to DIY, I can't stress enough the importance of having a repair manual and researching starter motor overhaul so that you can get a working knowledge of what you're up against.

Good luck!
Mike

Mike