LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My new UCF20 and an intro.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 10:45 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new UCF20 and an intro.

After hunting for a long time I have one. I looked on and off for 3 years with tons of anger involved. Craigslist sellers, People not calling back, calling on a car and they tell me how mint the car is and showing up to find not a god piece of interior and 30 holes in the 1/4...Yep it happened. I had people flake on meeting me not calling or answering..I bet i put 2000+ miles in to going to look....

I wanted black with tan but this came up and i couldn't pass it up. The guy who told me about it i believe is on here. I know him through wheeling. His GF's daughter had the car. From what she told me and the paperwork i have it was her grandfathers car and he was the original owner. He kept a log of everything. Bulb replacements, oil changes, you name it! Anyways she wanted to sell it to put money in to her Jeep. The car has mismatched tires on it, The lights in the stereo dont work, 4 dents in the whole car.. Seats are not torn but have wear and it was smoked in...Like seriously smoked in. it also has a CEL for knock sensor circuit malfunction. I ordered both sensors, the harness and just found out about the starter...Gotta order that and get it done to emission it.

Here are a few pics. I spent a few hours cleaning the interior and carpet. I haven't had a chance to scrape the tint, buff it or really give it a wash.

So i plan on using this as a daily driver for now. I want to paint it to get the dents fixed and im thinking if i spray the bottom it may update it a bit. I'm going to put hid's in it and put LEDs in side...I need to replace the tail lights cause ones cracked so im thinking about going aftermarket.

First things first make it a sound driver and from there suspension, lights, wheels and paint...Dunno what order it just will happen.

Some of my other cars and past projects cause i haven't posted before.

my 87 toyota. 3rz swap, SAS, lockers, gears, dual cases, 37's tacoma dash...Tons more but its going under the knife again so some of it will change.

yeah i use it.

92gti used to be my race car now going daily for the GF. vr6 swap no N/A with corrado dash

Past toys
93 corrado vr s/c

86 retro golf daily.

replaced with 92 slc

e36 318/m3 clone.

Ok i'm done posting old stuff..I have had TONS of cars and will change a few out over this build...Who knows it may get swapped for a newer one if the perfect one comes along. I hope not but the Toyota truck is the only thing in my stable that's not for sale.

Thanks for the great info on this site, With out this site i would have thrown in the towel months ago.

Russell
Old 02-15-12, 12:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

welcome, congrats on the pickup.

Please remember to use the stickies
Old 02-15-12, 06:12 PM
MyRolla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice collection and nice new car license plate in colorado is dope
Old 08-14-12, 01:23 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

WOW I was MIA for a while!

I Did a massive rebuild on the truck. Spent some time playin with it and am back for some slight mods and planning. Im going to rip in to the LS next.

Plans
HID headlights and fogs
LED interior stuff and fix the lighting in the stereo.
EGR tube fix or replacement.
Removing the resinators for a little bit of sound.
Mod the air box like i found in a sticky.
Replace busted tail light from PO

Im looking in to a lip kit/ bumpers. Also suspension and i have some wheels picked out. (19'' super RS)
That will come later after suspension and stuff. I wanna respray the car. My girl hijacked the car from me for a few months to daily while working 60+ miles away. It has its fair share of chips now and a few dings other then where the neighbor kid took his airsoft gun to the 1/4. I'm trying to find a wrecked newer style so i can just grab the full front clip and update it but Its impossible here.

and for those wondering what happened to the truck...

Added Raceline beadlocks and new kevlar MTR tires in 37/12.5/17
Diamond axle front and FJ cruiser rear its 11'' wider now
The armor and tire carrier and the black soft topper.
Brembo brakes and TRD FJ cruiser calipers....Tons of little stuff but thats the main stuff.
Old 08-14-12, 05:26 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Clean LS and that looks like a fun truck. What did u use to clean the interior?
Old 08-14-12, 10:10 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

glad to see you still around, wow that truck! reminds me of that 80s truck in back to the future III haha! i still want one. sweet collection of dubs as well!

be sure to replace the timing belt on the LS on the proper time interval, and she will give you years of great service. i love white LSs but i'm a bit biased . you have a great direction with yours, keep us updated.
Old 08-14-12, 11:34 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akitomk3
Clean LS and that looks like a fun truck. What did u use to clean the interior?
Thanks, The trucks been my main focus for a few years now. I have more to do to it but i need a brake.

The leather i used purple power diluted with a little water and a plastic tire brush. It cleaned all the smoke and crap off...Cant let it sit long cause it will make it too clean LOL You have to condition it right away. Make sure the purple power is gone. I use pure neetsfoot oil and a heat gun. I get the leather warm soak the leather and rub it in good to the point it wont take anymore and move to the next seat leaving it soaked. come back with a dry towel and get most of it up then buff the rest off with a clean dry towel. The leather inthe car is super soft now.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
glad to see you still around, wow that truck! reminds me of that 80s truck in back to the future III haha! i still want one. sweet collection of dubs as well!

be sure to replace the timing belt on the LS on the proper time interval, and she will give you years of great service. i love white LSs but i'm a bit biased . you have a great direction with yours, keep us updated.
Thanks, The truck is the same body style as the one from Back To The Future. In the movie they used 3 different ones tho. all the same color/body combo. Black xtra cab. One was Solid front axle meaning non turbo one was IFS xtra cab turbo and the other one i forget.

The timing belt was done 25k before i got her at a dealer. I have records back to the original purchase. It was an older man who wrote down everything. When he passed away he left the car to his daughter who wanted to sell it to put money in to her jeep. Her loss is my gain. She had smoked in it so i have had to fix a few burns and stuff.. The tint is trashed so im going to take it in and have it redone. i had to clean the living crap out of it before i even wanted to drive it with the smell of smoke...Im an ex smoker so it was really bad. Now the leather smell is so strong again i cant even put an airspencer in it and have it last a week. I do love the car and am glad i grabbed it. I looked forever for one and read and read and read about them. I do kinda wish i had found a newer one with the updated front end but i can always add that before i shoot the car.
Old 05-12-13, 01:01 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Well guys... I know this is an old thread but i'm not super active on forums anymore.

I have slowly been working on the LS but have been busy with the truck and house. Its time to get after it tho....

Here is what i have done.
Got rid of the stock stereo.

Stepped out of my old alpine bubble cause a friend suggested this. Put one in the truck too.

Crappy image but the picture quality of movies it pretty good.

Horrible pic but i added hid bixenon headlights and foglights. 35w in both 5000k in both...This pic looks horrible. Also added LED lights in the corners after this pic and plate light bulbs that match.

I also fixed the cracked tail.

Figured out my car has a cabin filter...and replaced it...i dont think the PO knew it had one either.

Now the car doesn't have that random smoke smell on hot days.

Also had the cats replaced. i had a bad one on the passenger side i found when we fixed the EGR tube a while back. I used OEM cats from a 2008 FJ cruiser they were slightly smaller and dont throw the cel. Also from what the muffler shop said work better. I had him remove the resonators too. The sound is great! its silent once warm and with little throttle you can hardly hear it. They seem to make noise on quick revs and under heavy load..Like cruising in say 3rd and it should downshift but you dont give it enough gas you get some tone. if the cars closed up you cant hear it tho!!! I love it. I could even stand a little louder and im picky as hell.

My buddy at the stereo shop hooked me up again. He had done this Viper in my truck a few months ago so i refinished his RS's for his jetta and he did the Python version so i didnt mix up remotes in the lexus. Remote start, keyless, trunk...Its been great.

I also have had a warped rear rotor from the day i picked this thing up. Its got much worse and i have been lazy and just didnt care for a while there. My chick had hijacked it for her daily and i had the FJ and my truck so it wasnt a biggie. Now I will be driving it for work some so i need it in good shape.....Plus it pisses me off cause its worse! I got Cross drilled and slotted rotors for all 4 and ceramic pads. (NO PIC YET)

So here is my plan. while its in the air i wanna inspect and replace any worn bushings. Im pretty sure the front bushings need replaced...I get a clunk when i go over big bumps kinda fast. The rear has kinda wondered the past few weeks on grooved asphalt worse then it ever has so i feel like it could use some rehab.

Here are my questions..

.Im planning on lowering the car this summer. Id like it camber correct or close Are there any arms, bushing kits i need to look at to make the rear adjustable that could be replaced rather then just bushings?

Where is the best place(price) for bushings. I don't wanna take away the luxury feel of the car. I know i will lose some of that with lower profile tires and coils but i want minimal loss. My buddy had D2 coils on his GS and it rode like stock...Is there nicer riding with out going air? I wanna be able to be kinda low but im hoping to offset the super low look with a bigger wheel (20) and a lip kit. I drive a lot so i need to have it kinda usable and not insanely low like i would love.

Im looking for the Version Select lip kit if anyone knows where i can find it new or used in good shape. If not maybe one similar. I like this one better then any of them i have found.

I plan on color matching the bottom when the cars shot this year.

I was hunting lastnight and like every idea i have with this car i found it done already. So im going to change it up a bit but color, lip kit and maybe tail lights i will do like this car. The wheels are super cheap too but im trying to do something like Work Euroline D2's or something with a dish and flat face OR 1" or so lip and a tight mesh...Like Super RS but im not spending $5400 on wheels for my daily...Plus no 20's so the car will be lower

I have been looking to change my tint. Its peeling and has a rip on the passenger glass. I want bronze tint but nobody has it. I want like 25% bronze. I dont know tint but im hunting..I know 3m guys that can tint but dont have bronze film like what i had on my max.

I have been looking for a grill and maybe a hood. Mines dented and id love a badgeless chrome grill or one like this but im not paying $600 for a grill

...sorry but my high hopes for the car and mod plans like i used to do have been trumped by.....this is painful.... my grown up telling me i need to put more money in to my work and a need for a dually and new trailer for the truck/buggy. I wanna bag a 2wd dually on 24.5 alcoas turned down as a tow rig. Also the GF wants counter tops and more tile in the house....Im still tryin to find a lot for the new house to go up....ok back to the car... Im looking for those parts and directions on that stuff.

Also anyone have a toyota # for badges that fit on the trunk and the grill for now? Tryin to decide if i wanna go chrome or gold again and my brakes will be color matched with the same stuff i will use outside.

Anyone try the EBAY seat cover replacements not the slip on covers but the kits you need to replace hog rings and stuff type kits? My driver seat has been cracking but no rips and the other day i notice a pin hole in the crack so i need to replace it.

Thanks guys...
Sorry its so long I havent been on much and ramble late at night.

Russell

Last edited by IwantLS400; 05-12-13 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-16-13, 11:24 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where i can find the lip kit?
Old 05-17-13, 05:16 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IwantLS400
Anyone know where i can find the lip kit?
http://www.autornd.com/category-s/8461.htm

Pick your poison, my friend
Old 05-22-13, 06:48 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sc0pe

thanks!!!! Gotta make a little room in the garage and will order it.
Old 05-22-13, 07:21 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Thanks for that link Sc0pe! I'd like to get that front lip at some point too. Sucks that it cost almost as much to ship as it does for the dang lip. IIRC I had previously sourced the VS lip from a company in Canada and the shipping wasn't anywhere near what it cost in the states. That doesn't make any damn sense.
My heart is still kind of set on the Wald executive line v2 lip.

Btw, Iwantls400, I'm jealous of your interior. My leather is pretty beat. That truck is bad *** too!!!
Old 05-23-13, 12:12 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
Thanks for that link Sc0pe! I'd like to get that front lip at some point too. Sucks that it cost almost as much to ship as it does for the dang lip. IIRC I had previously sourced the VS lip from a company in Canada and the shipping wasn't anywhere near what it cost in the states. That doesn't make any damn sense.
My heart is still kind of set on the Wald executive line v2 lip.

Btw, Iwantls400, I'm jealous of your interior. My leather is pretty beat. That truck is bad *** too!!!
Im still a newbie and havent seen the Wald lip. I tried to get a shipping quote and it wont let me so i will try again later...

Honestly im thinking about having it redone. The drivers seat now had a hole in the wear line. I found a place i can get all new covers for it done for $1099 or add custom suede inserts for $1299. i have an interior guy that is leather wrapping the truck but he said the Lexus style leather starts at $40 a yard. Im going to see if he will be cheaper but i doubt it. $1099+ hog rings and a few hours will be worth it. Plus i can fix the driver seat before it brakes.

Leatherseats.com

Im serious purple power and a scrubbrush worked wonders. Dry it well and use a heat gun to get the seat warm and rub in pure neatsfoot oil. I got a huge bottle for like $12 at a ranch store. Its for saddles and making them soft. Talk about soft leather! I need to do mine again but id rather replace it. I hate to say it but it may be more of a want then a lip kit. Cause i use the car for work id like the interior nice first.

The trucks my baby.. I have to say im tired of working on it tho. I hardly drive it. Its kinda nice driving it while the lexus is on stands getting brakes and stuff.

Last edited by IwantLS400; 05-23-13 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 09:15 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

This is the Wald lip kit. I was wrong and it is exchange v2 instead of executive line.
http://www.memoryfab.com/product/554
This Wald trunk spoiler is pretty high on the want list too. Or something similar. I believe Admiration makes one like it.
http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=718
I'll give leatherseats.com a look. And keep us updated if you pull the trigger on those seats!
Old 05-23-13, 09:45 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

double quoted for awesomeness

Quick Reply: My new UCF20 and an intro.