LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My new UCF20 and an intro.

Old 05-23-13, 09:55 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
http://www.autornd.com/category-s/8461.htm
double quoted for awesomeness
We should come at these guys as a group and try to get a group buy. See if they will atleast knock off some on the cost of shipping! For the front alone if comes out to $496.09 shipped to me in KY.
Old 05-23-13, 12:43 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
This is the Wald lip kit. I was wrong and it is exchange v2 instead of executive line.
http://www.memoryfab.com/product/554
This Wald trunk spoiler is pretty high on the want list too. Or something similar. I believe Admiration makes one like it.
http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=718
I'll give leatherseats.com a look. And keep us updated if you pull the trigger on those seats!

Im not a fan of spoilers but this is nice looking. I have seen this before just didn't know who made it. Its funny i searched for my car for 4 or so years and wound up going 100% different direction then planned. I wanted black with tan, slammed stock body no lip kit. huge dish blah blah blah...Now i have white with tan and am thinking a small lip, bigger wheel a small lip kit and not as low so i can still use the car. The wheels can and will change a million times before i buy something. Im cheap and wanna build them. Id like some chrome, some gold and some polished.
Old 05-23-13, 06:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1-a group buy won't cut into the shipping cost on big bulky items like this.
2-No more mention of a group buy unless it's from an authorized ClubLexus vendor, failure to heed this warning will result in closure of this thread.
Old 05-23-13, 08:35 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir yes sir.
I meant outside of CL, but I get your point.
Bahhumbug
Sometimes we all have to be reminded of the rules. Excuse my ignorance.
The last thing I want is for you to shut his intro thread down.

Last edited by TaffyK20si; 05-23-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-25-13, 12:20 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

My thread isnt a hot topic.. To shut it down over openly voicing you or other forum members would be interested in a GB would be stupid. vendor or not you should be able to express interest in wanting something like that to happen....Were not planning it...someone would still have to get a vendor to make it happen...

I had no idea shipping was that much....Do they bring it to you wrapped in gold bubble wrap and is installed by Melanie Iglesias in next to nothing? Maybe i dont need it that bad. Maybe a local guy can buy one and i can copy it in carbon.
Old 06-03-13, 01:06 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

I have been loving my LS the past few days. I modded up the airbox by cutting a section out of the bottom corner near the fender and sealing it all off to the headlight. The car has a little noise when your in it hard. I found the stock filter to be gross after only 2500 miles..I was about to change it and the oil so i replaced it with a K&N. The airbox mod seemed to be quieter with the new filter and I feel like it may be more restrictive cause it feels like it has more tq and response down low but doesnt pull like it did with the dirty filter up high even.

So this week im sending a ton of parts to be powdercoated on the truck and the lexus seems to have picked up on this and wants more love. I drove it today and it was hot so the AC was on and i had a drip on the driveway i noticed as i walked by doing yard work.... Figured it was moisture from the AC...Went to take the girl for icecream and when i got home i stuck my finger in the drip and its Powersteering fluid. I cleaned up the garage from the truck work and went to pull the car back in and i have another quarter size drip! i took it to the car wash and hosed it out cause its not leaking off the pump its on the inner fender. I spray it off get home....No drip DAFUQ? Im going to gut the airbox out of it tomorrow if it drips again and start chasing it. The driveway is sloped so maybe this car has a thing with heat and inclines? It never sat out before and recently with all the house work/truck work it sees a day a week in the driveway but this it its first drip.

Anyone have ideas? I thought it was a normal thing but looked in the faq and the leak is 98-00 not my body style.
Old 06-04-13, 12:57 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Well its not dripping at all now. HMMMMM

I picked up some factory chrome wheels like mine to hold me over for a while. My wheels are not perfect and i always thought chrome looked better. Well the chrome ones are not perfect but they shine!

The pic from the guys add.

I was kind bummed the L wont come off on the chrome ones cause i thought the gold ones ones from my old wheels would look pretty good. IF your local with gold logo chome caps and wanna swap hit me up! pics after i get my tires on Wed.

I cleaned em up a little but his tires were trashed.
my pics after cleaning them up a little.

Last edited by IwantLS400; 06-04-13 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 01:42 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bat cats

Besides the CEL, what other signs suggest a bad cat? Is the cat from the FJC a direct fit in the LS4? How much did you pay for the FJC cat? thanks
Old 06-05-13, 01:28 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dashan
Besides the CEL, what other signs suggest a bad cat? Is the cat from the FJC a direct fit in the LS4? How much did you pay for the FJC cat? thanks
Cel for the cat being blown out or poor running cause its plugged...IDK of any other indicators other then smog results.

The FJ cat was the same size The flanges were different due to the FJ cats being part of the manifold.

you can see em here. I used the top ones on the LS and the post O2 cats too. One on my crawler and it seems to work way better then my stock 2.7 cat and is about half the size...Plus it had a heat shield so its not burning my floor.

ok back to the LS....I went to a muffler shop and to do that and remove my resonators it was $204 with all new OEM gaskets. The guy does top notch work. My truck wound up being a work of art.

As for cost IDK I had a rolled FJ for parts. I sold the motor to a guy with a 4runner and this stuff was all different so i kept it. The muffler shop also told me he had options for replacements that wouldnt throw codes for $200-240 each. I know i had a FJ guy saying he found a guy selling his for $600each and if i didnt wanna sell mine thats what he was going to do cause the dealer wants 1300 or something. mine had super low miles so i figured id save some coin.

Wheel pics later!!!
Old 06-07-13, 12:58 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-30-13, 12:26 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Well I have been slacking!!! I did get a wild hair to spend some time and clean up the paint of the car. I also ordered bushings, an 8" sub for the stock location and some mids and highs. Got an alpine 5 ch amp for a little more sound quality.

Not bad for a 17yearl old car. Its been raining so i haven't taken it out at all but will get some better pics once its outside in the sun.
Old 10-30-13, 02:14 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IwantLS400
Well I have been slacking!!! I did get a wild hair to spend some time and clean up the paint of the car. I also ordered bushings, an 8" sub for the stock location and some mids and highs. Got an alpine 5 ch amp for a little more sound quality.

Not bad for a 17yearl old car. Its been raining so i haven't taken it out at all but will get some better pics once its outside in the sun.
Paint's lookin' fresh! I noticed your truck evolved And, just out of curiosity, what subwoofer did you choose? Based on your mention of Alpine, I'm going to infer that you might be running an 8" Type R

Also, you guys are all welcome for the link haha. I never realized how many people appreciated it
Old 10-30-13, 06:36 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Paint's lookin' fresh! I noticed your truck evolved And, just out of curiosity, what subwoofer did you choose? Based on your mention of Alpine, I'm going to infer that you might be running an 8" Type R

Also, you guys are all welcome for the link haha. I never realized how many people appreciated it

Thanks! Here is one more pic.

Oh and i guess the tint is new too! I haven't posted much at all.

I went with the Kenwood eXcelon 8" Shallow Sub. I know i may catch a little confusion on why....I have 2 of the 10's in my truck in a sealed inclosure and they flat out jam! They are not power hungry and have a solid sound. My plan is a sealed inclosure suspended from the rear deck so it takes up pretty much no trunk space. I had thought about taking one of the 10's out of the truck and making it fit but its more then i want in the car. Plus the truck gets played loud more. My buddy turned me on to those subs and i have to say the only thing i can complain about is i didnt use them sooner. He said hes had good luck with the kenwood excelon mids and highs too so for the cost of all of it i went for the 5.25s and highs and will mod the stock boxes in the door to fit them. If i dont like any of it its so cheap i cant complain and i can throw it all in my camper or save it for a beater car.

My trucks being torn down after i replace all the bushings in the lexus this weekend. Some pics from the last trip we took it out on. We ran penrose in Co.

I know some of you guys like that stuff.. Youtube Indy or patriot in penrose colorado. for some video.

ok enough truck stuff.
Old 10-30-13, 06:52 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IwantLS400
Thanks! Here is one more pic.
Oh and i guess the tint is new too! I haven't posted much at all.

I went with the Kenwood eXcelon 8" Shallow Sub. I know i may catch a little confusion on why....I have 2 of the 10's in my truck in a sealed inclosure and they flat out jam! They are not power hungry and have a solid sound. My plan is a sealed inclosure suspended from the rear deck so it takes up pretty much no trunk space. I had thought about taking one of the 10's out of the truck and making it fit but its more then i want in the car. Plus the truck gets played loud more. My buddy turned me on to those subs and i have to say the only thing i can complain about is i didnt use them sooner. He said hes had good luck with the kenwood excelon mids and highs too so for the cost of all of it i went for the 5.25s and highs and will mod the stock boxes in the door to fit them. If i dont like any of it its so cheap i cant complain and i can throw it all in my camper or save it for a beater car.
Ah, okay, that's cool. For me, I have a single, sealed 10 in the trunk and I can't get enough bass (not saying that I love it so much, I can't get enough, but the output is lacking). I have to boost it in order to get any actual kick out of it. Next setup I'm doing is a sealed Image Dynamics IDMAX (basically, a god-tier subwoofer) in the trunk, with the subwoofer as close to the opening of the old subwoofer hole as possible.
Old 10-31-13, 12:30 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Ah, okay, that's cool. For me, I have a single, sealed 10 in the trunk and I can't get enough bass (not saying that I love it so much, I can't get enough, but the output is lacking). I have to boost it in order to get any actual kick out of it. Next setup I'm doing is a sealed Image Dynamics IDMAX (basically, a god-tier subwoofer) in the trunk, with the subwoofer as close to the opening of the old subwoofer hole as possible.
i used to be in to loud...Actually my truck when i had it the first round was built for SPL haha. I have had loud stereos my whole life but the lexus is appealing because unlike a crazy stereo where you feel like tweaking it for different kinds of music or wanting more bass or whatever...The lexus is get in and jam. Its not as bass heavy as id like when i wanna listen to loud dubstep or rap, its ok cause its responsive for some metal but cant really cut it in the effect. Country its not bad and classical or jazz its not that bad. Im going for an all around better lacking system. haha. A tiny bit more bass...A little more clarity and the important part is that it will make a song before the speakers get hot and it starts to sound like crap. It starts out ok but goes down hill fast. Movies lack some effect too. My girl hates my driving some days and has to watch a movie so shes not pissing me off so it might as well sound good.

you will love the ID stuff. I used to run a set fo the 12's in my old 4runner. I gave them away before i was told they could be rebuilt. my bmw was loud and crystal clear..my friends hated that stereo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new UCF20 and an intro.