LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 02:19 AM
nap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ls400

hi,well i am new to the LS400,i just picked up my 1993 car the other day.as i know very little about them i hope you can help with a few things.
as said,its a 1993 in white over silver with 159000 miles on the clock.to look at its mint apart from the wheels and the black leather is all in great condition,i love white cars after my white R32GTR so i had to go white again.to be honest i drove the car back 155 miles and all was good but since then i have had no chance to have a good look over the car with work and snow so i hope you can help with a few things.
the speedo needle does not light up ? is this like the mk1 toyota aristo and all i need to do is replace the needle or is there just a fuse ?
allso i hope you dont think i am a little thick but i Know on some of the LS400 round the 1993 they had air suspunsion,how can i tell if mine has it ?
i hope to just get away with lowering springs at this time as i have a old set of 19in alloys off my mk2 aristo,and very little cash at this time,when cash flow picks up i will look at this more but i have a few things planed for the car but parts are hard to get hold of in the UK and with the price of importing them from the USA just bumps it all up.
Old 02-05-12, 02:20 AM
nap
Rookie

when the weather worms up i will post a few photos up,thanks.
Old 02-05-12, 04:54 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

First, welcome to the club......
but you need to read the stickies at the start of the posts, nearly every question you can come up with on a 90-94 LS, has been covered and you can see how others solved them and choose the one you like best.
start with PureDrifter's
Old 02-05-12, 06:00 AM
moat
Driver

Originally Posted by nap
hi,well i am new to the LS400,i just picked up my 1993 car the other day.as i know very little about them i hope you can help with a few things.
as said,its a 1993 in white over silver with 159000 miles on the clock.to look at its mint apart from the wheels and the black leather is all in great condition,i love white cars after my white R32GTR so i had to go white again.to be honest i drove the car back 155 miles and all was good but since then i have had no chance to have a good look over the car with work and snow so i hope you can help with a few things.
the speedo needle does not light up ? is this like the mk1 toyota aristo and all i need to do is replace the needle or is there just a fuse ?
allso i hope you dont think i am a little thick but i Know on some of the LS400 round the 1993 they had air suspunsion,how can i tell if mine has it ?
i hope to just get away with lowering springs at this time as i have a old set of 19in alloys off my mk2 aristo,and very little cash at this time,when cash flow picks up i will look at this more but i have a few things planed for the car but parts are hard to get hold of in the UK and with the price of importing them from the USA just bumps it all up.
Welcome to CL. You need to do a few things:
1. change all 5 fluids. Very important to use only Lexus recommended fluids (or else you will have problems)
2. take your instrument cluster out and mail it in to have it repaired (search here on CL for who to mail it to)
3. your power steering and rack and related tubes are mostly likely leaking. you should fix that.
4. find out when the timing belt was last changed. If it's too many miles ago or too many years ago, then it's time for that work.

Finally, next to your shift if you see two buttons for sport and height adjustment then you have air suspension, otherwise you do not. If you have boat loads of money try to keep the air shocks. I replaced my with regular coils & shocks and I miss my air shock ride from 19 years ago.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-12, 08:39 AM
nap
Rookie

thanks moat,look like i dont have the air ride witch is good for me as i want to lower the car.the weather had picked up today so went outside to give the aristo a good wash off ,so so mutch fun i allso started on the LS.when i picked up the LS i thought it was off white but after a few hours with the clay bar and wax the colour looks bright and white with a great shine to it.
thanks for all your help,will start work on the car this week with oil and plugs and go from there.
Old 02-06-12, 11:44 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

the single best thing you can do for your car is get familiar with the search function. it will be a rare day when you come up with a question that hasn't already been answered. the timing belt/water pump is real important if it wasn't done at the recommended 90k mark, but this is a non-interference engine, so you get stranded if it snaps, but you don't ruin the engine. any power steering leak may actually be more important to get to first, because it leaks onto the alternator, and you end up replacing that, in addition to fixing the ps leak.