LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

APX/Sensen Struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 06:29 PM
fcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APX/Sensen Struts

My 1995 LS 400 was still running on the original struts/shocks and clunked going over bumps and dips in the road, contributed to vehicle vibration at speeds between 55 and 65 mph, and also contributed to vehicle left-side pull when braking at highway speeds. At 183,000 miles, the shocks had clearly seen better days. I have been revamping the car and getting it ready for the next 100,000 miles with a full timing belt, spark plugs & wires, engine & transmission mounts, and power steering pump replacement.

I researched struts/shocks and came across APX struts on ebay at $150.00 for a set of 4 with free shipping. However, I did not find any reviews from Lexus LS400 owners who had actually used APX/Sensen struts. I am not afraid to use made in China products because not all of them are sub-standard (I've actually used some made in China electronics and herbal medication that worked as advertised). BMW, Mazda, and Nissan forums generally had folks who had tried these shocks and the vast majority had positive things to say so I decided to give them a try.

Well, I had 4 APX/Sensen struts and new strut mounts installed two weeks ago (I am not that mechanically inclined) and I must say that I am very pleased with them. Some say they are as firm as the KYB brand. I have no way to compare the APX/Sensen struts with other brands because I've always had the stock struts since I bought the vehicle pre-owned at 128,000 miles in 2005. They sure are firm because the car now barely bounces when you do the "bounce test". I love them! They come with a limited lifetime warranty (got to contact the company to determine what this entails). If the struts hold up well over time, then we clearly have a cost effective replacement struts/shocks on our hands.

I hope this helps others looking to take a chance on these struts but are on the fence because of the unknown factors. Give them a try!
Old 10-08-12, 06:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any updates on the Sensen Struts?

I am looking for a set of 4 for my RX300 too.
Old 10-08-12, 09:36 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might look into contacting the OP another way if you want to hear from him.
Hes posted 1 thing in 7 years and hasnt logged on since he made this thread 8 months ago
Old 10-08-12, 07:43 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ oh jeez!!!!!!
Old 02-20-13, 12:34 PM
jadfly
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 Sensen Struts

Recently bought a one-owner 98 LS400 with 170,000 miles with all records and original suspension parts. The steering and ride felt a bit loosey-goosey so I had my Toyota tech inspect everything. Although the struts weren't leaking, I figure they are probably weak at this juncture. I replaced the common wear items of lower control arm bushings, strut rods and transmission mount (OEM from Irontoad); hood struts (StrongArm); and a set of four strut assemblies (struts & springs super set) from APX. The upper control arm bushings show some movement, but not enough to spend $$$s on at this time.

I read as many reviews as possible and researched Sensen prior to making the APX decision. I was looking for more of a performance ride, and Sensen seemed to fit the description. I work at a mfg firm and Sensen passed the sniff test for quality products. I don't care about the lifetime warranty because its the labor that costs.

My tech said the APX complete assemblies were not a simple unbolt old/bolt on new process as APX claims; it was a process. The parts are not a direct match with OEM (the rear struts had a larger coil pan) and after installation, the car is a bit lowered (I guess that can't be all bad as it seems like a lot of folks lower their LS). When he aligned after installation, he maxed out on the camber adjust, so there is clearly a difference from OEM. Keep your OEM assemblies in case you want to "go back".

I just picked up the car and while I am not WOWed with the difference, the steering and ride are noticeably firmer. The front end is now quiet, most likely a result of the new rods and bushings. My total cost for all parts and labor for all of the above was ~$1800, not bad considering my buy price for a mint condition LS was under $6k and there's really not much more to do to it. You can't get this quality vehicle for under $8K!! If I have any Sensen issues I will report back. I did the APX aftermarket upper control arms on my prior LS and they creaked like crazy; use OEM only.
Old 09-08-14, 09:42 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely firmer than factory. Can't exactly give an evaluation on how their full strut assemblies are, because I'm using mine with UAS bags. All in all, $207 shipped got me shocks ($107 shipped) and new top mounts ($25 shipped x4) so it's not half bad for the price.
Old 09-15-14, 12:08 PM
fcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To update my original post, the APX/Sensen struts are still holding up over 20,000 miles later. I have had no issues with them. I've not posted for a while but I've been reading the forum very regularly. I bought a 2004 LS430 in September 2013 and have been spending a lot of time on the LS430 forum checking out stuff. It has paid off since I've been able to resolve a few niggling issues and braved the replacement of the spark plugs myself (no spark plug wires needed for the LS430). Remember, I stated originally that I am not too mechanically inclined. Don't be afraid to get the APX/Sensen struts.

Last edited by fcc; 09-15-14 at 08:38 PM.