LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Very sad and angry about this.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 12:43 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an exact science as my car is UK based and a 1994 model but the insurers deemed mine a total loss for a lot less damage.Looking at yours I wouldn't hold my breath on getting it repaired.

The insurers gave me the car back for free plus a cash settlement so around $1200.00 later and it was back to this after finding a decent body shop.

Last edited by steve2006; 01-26-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 01:07 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great News!

The insurance was saying my car was totaled but, we fought and got them not to total the vehicle. We changed the tires and gave it a tune up which costed almost 2500 dollars in september and we sent them those bills and explained to them that the car was in good condition and the engine shows no signs of problems or anything. Even the adjuster told me when he saw the var that it looked really good(besides the fact that the front and back was damaged). They are offering $4500 to fix the car. I have a really good friend that has a body shop and said he'll do it for $4000. He found a junk yard that has most the parts we need like the hood, headlights(will have to check that they are clean), rear bumper assy, and the radiator and bumpers we are getting new ones. the the frame is a little bent in the back but he has a puller. and it only goes to the spare tire(good thing lexus offered a full spare). Well the car should be in the shop by friday and i hope to have it back by the end of Feb!
Old 02-14-12, 01:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

$4,500...wow
Keep us posted on the repairs.
Old 02-14-12, 01:47 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you WANT the car to be totaled - a wrecked car never drives the same nor will it have it's legendary Lexus reliability any more, no matter what you do - take the money from it being totaled and start looking a for another LS400 that is just as nice or nicer!

PS - I am an ex-race car driver and also an ASE certified master technician, I am not kidding about what I said above!
Old 02-14-12, 05:00 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Something about front ends just don't hold up. I ran into the back of someone once, brakes floored but still going a good clip. My Mercedes C230 looked like I hit a brick wall doing about 30mph. The Toyota Supra I hit didn't have a scratch on it.
Old 02-14-12, 05:59 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

I would try to have them total the car, then buy it back from them as a repairable, or to part out.
Old 02-14-12, 06:09 PM
MyRolla
Driver School Candidate

Damn that looks pretty bad, i think they will total your car, there's a chance you can buy your car back but i would take the value of the car and just find a new one, the front makes it look like the radiator support is destroyed and possible front suspension components, sorry and good luck also you have helped ease my pain of contemplating buying a 200k LS
Old 02-15-12, 03:29 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by ravig292
I was in an accident with my LS 2 days ago. Luckily nobody was hurt. It wasn't my fault. I was stopped by a light behind someone who had to stop on a green light because the person in front of him was trying to make an illegal u-turn at the light where there are no turns allowed. You have to keep moving forward. So i stopped and then all of a sudden some lady who wasn't paying attention rams me from the back then i go flying into the person in front of me. The back wasn't that bad maybe just the bumper and the exhaust i hope. But the front scares me. I think the insurance might total the car. I am really pissed off because the a**hole making the illegal u-turn got away and i couldn't get his plate number and now i may be dealing with a totaled car. The car was running smooth like it came out of the dealer yesterday. no engine problems or anything. I don't want to get rid of it i want it fixed and back on the road. I posted this to ask what you guys think, totaled or not?

Its a 2000 Ls400 with 268,000 miles(A lot but trust when i say its runs like new).
I doubt its a total. the bumper isn't even damaged that badly. Probably a radiator and fender and a few minor things. Tell the ins. co you want it fixed cause there is no where near 6-8 thousand in damage.
Old 02-15-12, 04:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you WANT the car to be totaled - a wrecked car never drives the same nor will it have it's legendary Lexus reliability any more, no matter what you do - take the money from it being totaled and start looking a for another LS400 that is just as nice or nicer!
I certainly have to disagree. Back in the 1990's, I had an LS400 repaired that had far more damage that this car and it droved great and looked perfect during the remaining four years I owned it. It was recently sold by it's next owner 170,000 miles after my wreck.

The body shop I used also brings back much higher end cars such as Ferraris. I great body shop can make even the most damaged vehicle like new.
Old 02-15-12, 05:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you WANT the car to be totaled - an IMPROPERLY FIXED wrecked car never drives the same nor will it have it's legendary Lexus reliability any more, no matter what you do - take the money from it being totaled and start looking a for another LS400 that is just as nice or nicer!

PS - I am an ex-race car driver and also an ASE certified master technician, I am not kidding about what I said above!
fixed
Old 02-15-12, 06:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

As a certified mechanic for over 30 years, I have found that wrecked cars lose their reliability, even systems on the opposite end of the car from where the wreck happened - not to mention that if it is much of a hit at all, the car will never drive like it once did!

yes, a good body shop can repair a car and make it look nice again, and it might even drive acceptably, but still not as good as it did before the wreck, and there is nothing ANYONE can do to restore the famed Lexus reliability after a major impact. Strange electrical problems, and other maladies will haunt a previously wrecked car for the rest of it's life!

This is why if I ever was involved in a wreck, (if it was more than a minor fender-bender) then I am SELLING the car immediately if it is not totaled. JUST NOT INTERESTED IN THE DRAMA of unreliability!

This is also why I get the CARFAX and would NEVER buy an automobile that has previously been wrecked, no matter how tempting the price, I have seen too many tales of woe from these cars and their owners. - Same goes for cars that have sustained a fire or a flood, they will NEVER be the same! (as far as reliability, especially)

A word to the wise!
Old 02-15-12, 07:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

As a certified mechanic for over 30 years, I have found that wrecked cars lose their reliability, even systems on the opposite end of the car from where the wreck happened - not to mention that if it is much of a hit at all, the car will never drive like it once did!

yes, a good body shop can repair a car and make it look nice again, and it might even drive acceptably, but still not as good as it did before the wreck, and there is nothing ANYONE can do to restore the famed Lexus reliability after a major impact. Strange electrical problems, and other maladies will haunt a previously wrecked car for the rest of it's life!

This is why if I ever was involved in a wreck, (if it was more than a minor fender-bender) then I am SELLING the car immediately if it is not totaled. JUST NOT INTERESTED IN THE DRAMA of unreliability!

This is also why I get the CARFAX and would NEVER buy an automobile that has previously been wrecked, no matter how tempting the price, I have seen too many tales of woe from these cars and their owners. - Same goes for cars that have sustained a fire or a flood, they will NEVER be the same! (as far as reliability, especially)

A word to the wise!
wrecked as in totalled (which in these and most cars requires either extensive cosmetic damage or frame damage such that is extremely difficult to repair properly?

a well equipped and experienced shop can save most cars and restore them to PERFECT driving condition, and only the worst hit ones should likely never be worked on anyways.
Old 02-15-12, 07:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yeah, this particular wreck may not be much more than a really bad fender-bender, but any worse and I am selling it!
Old 02-15-12, 07:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Body shops have some very nice technology on hand to do some remarkable repairs. I'd seen a 5 series BMW that was T-Boned. I thought it was pretty bad but the shop put it on their laser table and got it back to spec. It was gutted so that after the repairs were made, it would not be easy to tell it had undergone such extensive work.

One has to ask themselves if this baby is worth the expense and for some cars, definitely there is that value in $ and sentimental.
Old 02-17-12, 05:51 AM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The insurance company will just total it and try their very best to make you settle for less than it is really worth. Make the insurance company find a replacement car, not just offer a check.

Quick Reply: Very sad and angry about this.