LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 trying to find headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 03:37 PM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 trying to find headers

My passenger side manifold cracked and I'm trying to find headers.
I can not find anybody that makes them.
JC Whitney lists 6, but after calling them they told me that was an error and they actually had none that would fit.
I saw the 7 year old thread about JBrady's custom headers and those look AWESOME!
Does anybody know where I can get a set of new or used headers?
Does anybody even manufacture them?
I have a guy that is willing to make me a custom set for around a grand, but I'm looking to spend more like half a grand (plus or minus a little).
Old 01-02-12, 04:26 PM
Cashflo
Driver

PM Me. I may have some ideas.
Old 01-02-12, 06:27 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S&S Headers used to make them for our cars, but they went out of business back in '09 if I recall correctly. Finding a used set might prove difficult.
Old 01-02-12, 06:36 PM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
Finding a used set might prove difficult.
I've noticed.
Old 01-02-12, 07:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

nothing for 89-97 anymore, though PPE can make a set for the '98+ if you ask them. hit them up and see if they'll make you a set for your '95? header fitment is different though iirc.

www.car-part.com will help you find some used oem ones.
Old 01-02-12, 07:54 PM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
nothing for 89-97 anymore, though PPE can make a set for the '98+ if you ask them. hit them up and see if they'll make you a set for your '95? header fitment is different though iirc.

www.car-part.com will help you find some used oem ones.
I'm not really interested in finding oem manifolds because they look horribly designed.
If its going to cost me $400-$500 for stock manifolds, then I'd rather spend a little more for headers. Actually I'd be willing to spend a lot more, but I'd rather spend a little more.
Old 01-02-12, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you shouldn't be spending more than $100-150/manifold, maybe 250/set at most, shipped
Old 01-02-12, 09:01 PM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

you shouldn't be spending more than $100-150/manifold, maybe 250/set at most, shipped
Oh, I checked out Lexus first so... a little less than I thought.
Either way, these exhaust systems seem extremely inefficient.
I would be fine spending one to two grand replacing the entire exhaust system, but it has air suspension and guess what... its going bad.
I'm converting the suspension and I have to replace the windshield and driver side door handle.
I really want to dive head first into the exhaust, but these things won't let me.
Old 01-02-12, 09:05 PM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

Also, I've always referred to manifolds as passenger side and driver side, but all these websites refer to them as left side and right side.
Which one is which? It depends on the perspective. I assume it means looking towards the engine from the front with would be passenger/left & driver/right. Am I right?
Old 01-02-12, 10:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Are you planning on future performance engine work? To go through this exhaust work on a stock motor is spending $$ for minimal gains. With the AS needing replacement, your expenses may just be beginning if there is other corrective work needed. I'm just thinking you will be dropping some big $ and the practicality becomes a thought if the base needs lots of attention.
Old 01-02-12, 11:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

driver=left
pass.=right

you can always call and confirm.
Old 01-03-12, 10:24 AM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Are you planning on future performance engine work? To go through this exhaust work on a stock motor is spending $$ for minimal gains. With the AS needing replacement, your expenses may just be beginning if there is other corrective work needed. I'm just thinking you will be dropping some big $ and the practicality becomes a thought if the base needs lots of attention.
The car is in great shape, but to my understanding Lexus owners should avoid AS or if they can't avoid it convert it.
Not all of my air struts are going bad, but its a habit of mine that when one of my struts starts going bad I replace all of them. I'd much rather have some regular shocks and springs or even some coilovers than AS. It is going to irritate me having a height high/norm switch that does nothing.
The only other things wrong with the car are being replaced asap. The windshield, door handle ($139!), cd player, and antenna.
The antenna isn't moving like its supposed to, but I can hear the motor trying to move it. I originally planned on replacing this, but I'm thinking about converting the antenna to a shark fin. No moving parts seems much more appealing to me.

Also, I've always been a big fan of exhaust note. I don't care too much about power on a car this size. I did the same thing to a 96 4.6L Thunderbird I owned a couple years back, just for the exhaust note. I didn't think it would really help, but I did take a mildly built civic hatch my friend owns... then he brought out his GSR and well.

After looking at the exhaust system I do disagree that the gains would be minimal. It has several every restrictive spots. It almost seems like they designed the exhaust systems on these to specifically make it as hard on the engine as possible.

My long term plan is headers (obviously), relocate cats (any suggestions), remove resonators (assuming that's what the other two muffler looking things are called), get rid of Y pipe and make true dual, replace mufflers with magnaflows, then sit back and listen to the orchestra.

I would expect with this setup to gain 30-40hp at least. It really depends on the headers.

I was thinking about adding a custom twin turbo setup on it in a couple years, but from what I've seen these things can put out some pretty impressive power naturally aspirated.
I wouldn't be building it this year, I would have to get another car and since this is my fourth this year... I better wait awhile less I have divorce papers in hand.
Old 01-03-12, 10:28 AM
aspade01
Driver School Candidate

driver=left
pass.=right

you can always call and confirm.
You see that makes since to me too because from the perspective of the engine driverside would be left. Why can't these companies keep it simple?
Old 01-03-12, 12:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Go for it
Start up a build thread so we can see the progress.
Old 01-03-12, 01:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

it is simple. that site serves more than just the US, so driver/pass is more subjective than right/left.

a full exhaust + headers won't net you those gains, you would need some sort of fuel controller and a proper tune to get the most out of it.

Quick Reply: 95 LS400 trying to find headers