LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 12:19 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'

I looked in the FAQ but could not find anything.

My question is, for the years 98,99 and 00' Ls400s. Are there any changes or improvements throughout the 3 years of production? I am about to purchase one, but not sure which year I should get.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-12, 02:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/info/lschronology.html

generally, 99 and 00 are better bets as they come better optioned (HIDs and wood wheels/shifter far more common)
Old 01-01-12, 06:25 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

plus the tilt and tele system gave them trouble and had to be redesigned in 2000, most 2000 and some 1999's had this update. the 1998 models that I have seen, had the old style that you could repair with a washer. by checking dealer records you can find out if it got the update...... or you can spend $500 on a new one like I had to do..... the voice of experience.... dum-da-dum-dum.
Attached Thumbnails UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'-100_2316.jpg   UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'-100_2317.jpg  
Old 01-01-12, 09:33 AM
Lexuses71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geezus, Billy! A replacement unit was that much? My '98 tilt/tlescope is acting up. Freezes in one spot. only when car is warmed up and i turn wheel all the way in one direction will it drop to position I want. So, guess I now have to ask, where did you buy your unit? And did u install yourself?
Old 01-01-12, 09:34 AM
Lexuses71
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, John, didn't meant to jack your thread. But I have same issue as Billy and had to ask.
Old 01-01-12, 12:40 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexuses71
Geezus, Billy! A replacement unit was that much? My '98 tilt/tlescope is acting up. Freezes in one spot. only when car is warmed up and i turn wheel all the way in one direction will it drop to position I want. So, guess I now have to ask, where did you buy your unit? And did u install yourself?
I bought it at Sewell for under $300, tried to take it out and had trouble, so took it to a shop and had them do it, $200. BUT
BUT: the 98 is like the old 95-97, just a washer will fix it in a few minutes... look up wandawoods post to see how.

my 99 was the new (bad) style, but was out of warranty.
Old 01-01-12, 01:06 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i say stick with a 99/00. i have a 98. i dont hate it, but yeah 99/00 comes standard with hids/woodgrain wheel/woodgrain shifter/both side mirrors have autotitlt, etc.

my 98 thankfully came with the hid option as it was only an option. too bad i didnt get the woodgrain/woodgrain shifter. but i aint mad, my interior is pretty flawless for a 14 year old car.
Old 01-02-12, 02:50 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
plus the tilt and tele system gave them trouble and had to be redesigned in 2000, most 2000 and some 1999's had this update. the 1998 models that I have seen, had the old style that you could repair with a washer. by checking dealer records you can find out if it got the update...... or you can spend $500 on a new one like I had to do..... the voice of experience.... dum-da-dum-dum.
I purchased a 99" Ls last night and the steering column is not working. Would it still be under warranty? If not, can you share the linky on how to diy? Thanks
Here's a picture of my car. I must say, these cars ride so smooooth.
Old 01-02-12, 02:52 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
http://www.lexls.com/info/lschronology.html

generally, 99 and 00 are better bets as they come better optioned (HIDs and wood wheels/shifter far more common)
Thanks PureDrifter
Old 01-02-12, 07:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

look in the faq...
Old 01-03-12, 04:12 PM
VIPLexy650
Driver

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
I purchased a 99" Ls last night and the steering column is not working. Would it still be under warranty? If not, can you share the linky on how to diy? Thanks
Here's a picture of my car. I must say, these cars ride so smooooth.
somebody please give this man the "kinky" to the DIY on the steering column lol
Old 01-03-12, 06:36 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

^^^ lmaoooooo... linky* bro...hahahahaha
Old 01-03-12, 06:52 PM
VIPLexy650
Driver

haha. does your steering just not move? does it make any noise at all when you mess with it? i know people have had problems with the gear in them shaving down and i saw a diy tutorial how to fix it and guy used a zip tie for a spacer and worked fine.
Old 01-04-12, 10:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

copied from the forum:

Tilt

I have a 1999 LS400 and I was having the same problem with the tilt and auto adjustment of the steering wheel. The up-down function simply stopped working, while the in-out was still working. Of course, there are two different small motors that control these functions. I tried to adjust the tilt using the up down switch in the left of the column, but I could only hear a faint beep everytime I tried. I found information about the issue that was in the bulletin from Lexus, but obviously my car is already out of warranty.
What I did to solve it (and it worked!) was to manually move the wheel down and it seems some sensor reset, allowing the system to work fine again. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the plastic cover for the steering column. It has 3 philips screws.
2. Find the up-down motor and locate the threaded bar that goes out of this motor.
3. Find the electrical conector for this motor, it is orange and goes on the same side of the up-down switch. Unplug it to cut the power to the tilt motor.
4. Get a pair of long nose pliers and grab the threaded bar. Turn it a bit clockwise, maybe be half a turn. Remove your pliers.
5. Reconnect the power to the tilt motor.
6. Turn on the key. Voila!
7. Reinstall the plastic cover for the steering column.

In my case, the tilt motor started working fine immediately. I hope it stays that way for long time.

I saved $400 dollars for the motor, 1.5 hrs of Lexus labor but mostly I enjoyed doing it following the postings, ideas and suggestions!

BTW, if you want to leave the steering wheel in a fixed vertical position, adjust the desired postion and disconnect the power to the tilt motor before reinstalling the plastic cover. That is what I will do if it fails again.
maybe some of these will help
Attached Thumbnails UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'-tilt.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
T&T removal.doc (283.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-05-12, 10:06 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by billydpowe
copied from the forum:

Tilt

I have a 1999 LS400 and I was having the same problem with the tilt and auto adjustment of the steering wheel. The up-down function simply stopped working, while the in-out was still working. Of course, there are two different small motors that control these functions. I tried to adjust the tilt using the up down switch in the left of the column, but I could only hear a faint beep everytime I tried. I found information about the issue that was in the bulletin from Lexus, but obviously my car is already out of warranty.
What I did to solve it (and it worked!) was to manually move the wheel down and it seems some sensor reset, allowing the system to work fine again. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the plastic cover for the steering column. It has 3 philips screws.
2. Find the up-down motor and locate the threaded bar that goes out of this motor.
3. Find the electrical conector for this motor, it is orange and goes on the same side of the up-down switch. Unplug it to cut the power to the tilt motor.
4. Get a pair of long nose pliers and grab the threaded bar. Turn it a bit clockwise, maybe be half a turn. Remove your pliers.
5. Reconnect the power to the tilt motor.
6. Turn on the key. Voila!
7. Reinstall the plastic cover for the steering column.

In my case, the tilt motor started working fine immediately. I hope it stays that way for long time.

I saved $400 dollars for the motor, 1.5 hrs of Lexus labor but mostly I enjoyed doing it following the postings, ideas and suggestions!

BTW, if you want to leave the steering wheel in a fixed vertical position, adjust the desired postion and disconnect the power to the tilt motor before reinstalling the plastic cover. That is what I will do if it fails again.
maybe some of these will help
Billy, I am very thankful. CL members such as yourself is the reason why I love this community. I don't think any other forum is as helpful and friendly as ours. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: UCF21 Question: 98-99-00'