LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

suspension probleM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 03:49 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy suspension probleM?

recently my car start to shake when i go over 50 miles per hour the steering wheel shake and the whole car shake sometimes it stops but it definitly starts when i go over 50-60 miles per hour.. i got a alignment done.. i got the tires balanced.. yet it still does the same thing? i am thinkin it could be my tires are warped or the rim is bent.. but i highly thought it.. can anyone give me a suggestion on maybe what is wrong? axles? jointS? anythinG? i am really frustrated.. thanks alot
Old 10-14-02, 12:00 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check your bushings and engine mounts.
It might be time to change them, I know I need to.
Old 10-18-02, 12:02 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Default loule

Originally posted by loule
You might want to check your bushings and engine mounts.
It might be time to change them, I know I need to.
bushinG? engine mounts? are u sure that's why my car is shaking? or maybe it is? how much would it cost for me to change those out?
Old 10-18-02, 12:35 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot.

I remember on my dad's 98 LS he had a problem with horrible shaking at highway speed. We could never track it down until we replaced the tires, never came back.

Do you have a spare? Might wanna try swapping each wheel with it and see if you can identify the wheel that is scalloped. We had his balanced and rotated too, never helped for long.
Old 10-18-02, 03:19 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Default >>>?????

Originally posted by SW03ES
A lot.

I remember on my dad's 98 LS he had a problem with horrible shaking at highway speed. We could never track it down until we replaced the tires, never came back.

Do you have a spare? Might wanna try swapping each wheel with it and see if you can identify the wheel that is scalloped. We had his balanced and rotated too, never helped for long.
for some reason i do think its one of my rims.. just dont know why.. i mean i never ran them into anything.. or tires.. i dont know how they could have go wrong..
Old 10-19-02, 06:56 PM
rudylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helo,

A few months ago, i had the same problem with my ls 400 from 1998. First i put 2 new tires in the front, but the problem was not solved.
I did feel the shaking most of all in the steering wheel. So , i was very surprised when my official dealer told me the problem was on the rear wheel.
The cable of the parking brake, did not set loose on 1 wheel. So, this was activating the ABS, even without touching the brake pedal. The shaking was caused by the ABS that opend and closed the brakepads (high tempo).
After changing the cable the problem was solved.

Groetjes Rudy.
Old 10-19-02, 09:15 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally posted by rudylexus
Helo,

A few months ago, i had the same problem with my ls 400 from 1998. First i put 2 new tires in the front, but the problem was not solved.
I did feel the shaking most of all in the steering wheel. So , i was very surprised when my official dealer told me the problem was on the rear wheel.
The cable of the parking brake, did not set loose on 1 wheel. So, this was activating the ABS, even without touching the brake pedal. The shaking was caused by the ABS that opend and closed the brakepads (high tempo).
After changing the cable the problem was solved.

Groetjes Rudy.
only the steering wheel was shaking or the whole car .. i mean i can feel it just from my feet and the chair is shaking too..
any other suggestions
Old 10-20-02, 05:32 AM
rudylexus
Driver School Candidate

Helo,

I supposed the whole car was shaking, but because we hold the steering wheel whith both hands, we can feel it the there the most.
Strictly speaking it was the knocking of the brakes (ABS) you could feel, but the tempo was so high, you schould say it was a heavy trembling.
Also, when i slowly start, i could hear the brakes squeak a little.
Aftherwards it make sens, but in former days, i don´t care for it.

Groetjes Rudy.
Old 10-22-02, 12:16 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally posted by rudylexus
Helo,

I supposed the whole car was shaking, but because we hold the steering wheel whith both hands, we can feel it the there the most.
Strictly speaking it was the knocking of the brakes (ABS) you could feel, but the tempo was so high, you schould say it was a heavy trembling.
Also, when i slowly start, i could hear the brakes squeak a little.
Aftherwards it make sens, but in former days, i don´t care for it.

Groetjes Rudy.
very interesting rudy.. i have a couple of questions.. i dont ever use my parkin brake? can the abs still cause the probleM? does ur steering wheel shake when ur going 40 mph? becuase after i go pass 50 it start shaking .. steering wheel wise.. also.. u said that ur brake squeeze as u slowly stop.. mine does the same thing and its also problems in the rear? do you have any suggestions for me? this maybe the problem.. or it maybe not.. the hand brake cable u said that need to be replaced.. please help me out... give me a advice or something
thanks
Old 10-25-02, 07:01 PM
rudylexus
Driver School Candidate

Sorry cuteboy, i was out of town this week,

Sometimes the trembling started at 60 km/h (33 mph), sometimes it started at 80 km/h (43 mph).
My brakes did squeeze, because they did not come loose completely. If yours squeese too, it is a serious sign it is the same cause.
Yes, for me the problem was solved afther replacing the parking brake cable. I did not replaced it myself, so i can not explain the work.
Possible some oil could set the cable also loose, i dont now. The dealer replaced mine.

Groetjes Rudy.