LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 5 speed swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 07:43 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-19-12, 07:53 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Crappy picture but it shows clutch fitting just fine.

Here's how it sits on auto crossmember and auto mount.

Neutral
Old 02-19-12, 04:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
Great. Trying to post a bunch of pictures crashes mobile browser.

This is how the shift linkage sat in neutral before getting it modified.

After the modification. Angle was retained, the straight section between the two bends was cut out.

Old design required modifications to front bearing retainer if you want to go with the t56 hydraulic throw out bearing setup. The holes had to be countersunk and bolts replaced with flat head bolts. And the throw out bearing guide tube cut off.
good progress, i need to call brandon but don't the newer/current T/o support plates not require retainer mods?
Old 02-19-12, 04:14 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Well I bought the kit in December 2011. Unless I misunderstood him, new design no longer requires modification.

But hey that was one of my first times using a drill press and I had the holes countersunk in under ten minutes. And the boss let me use his portable band saw to cut the throw out bearing guide tube. That took a few minutes. If you look close in the picture you can see where I messed up.
Old 02-20-12, 04:03 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Well here's what a SC300 clutch master cylinder looks like in a LS400. Modification was requires to get the pedal where I wanted it. Now when I take pictures of the pedals you'll clearly see if one was to go with a smaller brake booster and a SC300 manual brake pedal, cutting most likely would not have been needed.

On a side note, anyone know where I can get a 10mm x 1.0 to -4AN 45° swivel adapter?

Old 02-20-12, 05:26 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Well it got really cold really fast. I did not want to take these pictures tonight. You can see how much more room the SC300 manual brake pedal can give you when mounted about the same spot as the LS400pedal. Only problem is SC300 pedal mount will be needed. You can see the fuse box hanging down, it fits fine between where I have the clutch and brake pedal. I'm going to get the guy who lengthened the shift linkage to make me some brackets.

Old 02-26-12, 08:45 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Finally replaced timing belt and water pump. Now on to valve covers.This was my first time doing a water PNP/valve cover so I'm a little nervous. I did manage to squeeze in a little transmission swap progress though. Solved the clutch line problem with a banjo bolt.

Old 03-10-12, 05:19 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

It's just about done. I spent over a week cleaning grime off the valve covers and front side of the engine. It's not as clean as I'd like it to be, but enough is enough. I want to drive this thing. Timing belt, water pump, valve covers and a tune up are finally done. This thing will be ready for some fun if I didn't mess up.

Everything is done. I just need to get a driveshaft to get it driving. And I just need to get the ebrake in to pass inspection.
Old 03-10-12, 10:54 PM
ariasuriah
Driver

Cant wait....
Old 03-12-12, 09:37 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man! Could you make up a complete parts list of everything that's required? I would love to do this eventually one day but i dont want to start and then have to stop working on it because im missing a part.
Old 03-12-12, 01:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

its the little parts that would make the difference...
most of it is obvious.

W58 trans
extended shifter housing+assy.
1uz-w58 adapter plate
throw out bearing plate
throw out bearing
custom flywheel for 1uz-W58
pressure plate for said flywheel pattern
W58 clutch plate
hydraulic lines for TOB
Clutch master cylinder (mk3 supra or sc300 or IS300 should be fine)
smaller brake booster (SC guys use one off an old toyota truck)
SC3/mk3/IS3 brake pedal **
custom driveshaft

hey mike did you need to mod the rear trans support?
Old 03-12-12, 07:14 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

PureDrifter's list just about covers it. Now since I'm a stubborn idiot and refused to go with a smaller brake booster, there was no chance for the parking brake pedal to stay. But I wanted to change to a handle ebrake anyway. But thinking back, if you're planning a SC300 clutch pedal I'm pretty sure there's no chance of keeping the parking brake pedal.

If you have TRAC and are planning on keeping it, I recommend using the same style clutch master cylinder as Daft Innovations and Cashflo used on their conversions. Otherwise you have to relocate the pump and accumulated (or is it called actuator?), and run brake lines to them. Again, I'm a stubborn idiot so my car no longer has TRAC or ABS.

Depending on what transmission you go with, I assume ABS would give you no problems.

The fuse box has to get relocated. If I don't hurt my back, I'll post pictures after I get a mount made.

The manual transmission will rest on the auto crossmember with the auto mount, but it's not secure. I think the auto crossmember could work with the manual mount but you'll have to muscle the crossmember back a good 1 1/2" and I don't think the mount wants that kind of stress. A member on here is working on a custom crossmember, but that's not done because I keep forgetting to reply to pms.

Last edited by mikes7ke; 03-13-12 at 02:22 PM. Reason: fuse box not fur box lol
Old 03-13-12, 10:51 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information guys! Would it be easier to use a mk3 supra w58 or sc300 w58?
Old 03-13-12, 12:01 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

where did you get that shift ****?I can use a new one on my supra -.-
Old 03-13-12, 02:21 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

For a UCF1X I'm under the impression a w58 out of the earliest style SC300 is the easiest to use. 93 to 95 I think, but am not positive. Shift linkage is simple and easy to take off and lines right up when lengthened to correct length. Speedo connector plugs right in and reverse lights are two wires off the PNP connector. I don't know how different modifying the shift linkage would be with other styles. I think mk3 supras have cable speedos instead of electric. More info can probably be easily found on sc400 five speed conversions.

Shift **** is out of a 93 SC300.

bauceLS400, if you want to minimize down time, take care of the clutch master cylinder/ pedal, relocate under dash fuse box, and relocate ebrake before starting with the transmission removal.

The guy who welded my shift extension told me he'll have a driveshaft ready by the end of the week. He said it might not be balanced but he's making sure I have something to work with so I can't mess up when I go to order a driveshaft.

Quick Reply: 94 5 speed swap in progress