LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 5 speed swap in progress

Old 12-07-11, 02:41 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx10
Subscribed!!! I actually just ordered the w58 adapter plate from a seller on ebay. I hope to swap my 92
How did you get the sc clutch pedal in there?
Remove the two lower pads below the driver's side on the dashboard. Remove the parking brake assembly. Remove the fuse box. Remove the theft deterrent computer. Line up, make measurements where you want the clutch pedal. Mark where you'll need to drill.

If the car has TRAC, you will need to remove or relocate TRAC for the master cylinder to fit. Keep in mind TRAC is tied in to ABS.

The master cylinder barely doesn't clear the wheel well so a small hole will need to be made for the tip of the cylinder to drop. I also bent the lower support for the clutch pedal mount and then later changed my mind and I think I bent it back to the original position.So the support may or may not need a slight bend. the fuse box will have to be relocated. There's enough room and enough slack in the wires to reposition the theft deterrent computer out of the way.
Old 12-08-11, 04:13 PM
onyx10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
Remove the two lower pads below the driver's side on the dashboard. Remove the parking brake assembly. Remove the fuse box. Remove the theft deterrent computer. Line up, make measurements where you want the clutch pedal. Mark where you'll need to drill.

If the car has TRAC, you will need to remove or relocate TRAC for the master cylinder to fit. Keep in mind TRAC is tied in to ABS.

The master cylinder barely doesn't clear the wheel well so a small hole will need to be made for the tip of the cylinder to drop. I also bent the lower support for the clutch pedal mount and then later changed my mind and I think I bent it back to the original position.So the support may or may not need a slight bend. the fuse box will have to be relocated. There's enough room and enough slack in the wires to reposition the theft deterrent computer out of the way.
Any pictures of the install? This is the one issue I haven't been able to find a definite answer on.
Old 12-08-11, 05:40 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I haven't taken any pictures yet but will eventually.

If you're dead set on doing this and if me posting pictures will motivate you to immediately start, I'll go take a few pictures.
Old 12-08-11, 08:00 PM
onyx10
Driver School Candidate

lol im in the process of gathering parts now. daft innovations as well as quantum auto i believe make a kit with most of the parts for about $1400 but im trying to source the parts a bit cheaper. the lexus is also my daily driver so i cant afford too much downtime right now so im trying to get all the ducks in a row to avoid any hiccups along the way.
Old 12-09-11, 05:49 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

That's steep. I'm getting the kit sold at toyotav8.com. This kit + shipping, clutch/pressure plate, and driveshaft modification will probably be less. Unless I decide to get something I really don't need for clutch/pressure plate.

I call the car my daily driver but I walk to work and walk to go grocery shopping. And I forget how it feels to rely on a car. If your car doesn't have TRAC, you'll have less down time. If it does have TRAC, you'll have to relocate the pump/accumulator, delete TRAC and ABS, or delete TRAC and swap in ABS from a non TRAC model (I have no idea what all would be needed to do this). The part that took me the longest was relocating the under dash fuse box. After I install a hand lever parking brake I'll let you know how long the install takes me.

After the above is taken care of the car is drivable and you'll have sufficient room to install the pedal. Now I may end up eating my words but from what I've read about removing a LS400 transmission and installing a manual transmission on a SC300, the work required is involved but really not that bad. I don't think this swap is going to be nearly as difficult or complicated as searching implies.

I may be making progress sooner than I thought. Thanks to ten hours of overtime this week, I'll be buying the toyotav8 kit, and also a clutch/pressure plate plate(if I can make up my mind) next pay check.
Old 12-17-11, 07:01 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Minor update. I ordered a few parts - the w58 swap kit from toyotav8.com and a SC300 hand brake which I'm going to make work. As soon as I make up my mind what exactly I want I'll order a clutch disc and pressure plate.

In the meantime I still need to make measurements for the shift linkage and the driveshaft.
Old 02-04-12, 01:13 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Well finally I made some progress. The automatic transmission is out, and the shift linkage extension was made. I had it extended 6 1/2". It was long enough, but clearance is close to the shifter hole in the chassis. I'm very happy with the results but another half inch would be perfect. After I change the engine mounts, the transmission will be going on for real (test fit it a bunch of times to waste time and for a bit of practice).

I haven't decided what exactly I'm going to do about the ebrake, under dash fuse box, and driveshaft.

If everything goes my way, it's only a matter of weeks before yet another running and driving LS400 with a manual transmission.

Oh and I finally took a few pictures. Someday I'll get around to uploading them.
Old 02-05-12, 09:23 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

This thread makes me happy I purchased a model without TRAC. Good luck with your build, I cannot wait to see pictures of it. Subscribed.
Old 02-06-12, 05:47 PM
FinalDrive
Driver School Candidate

I am gathering parts for this as well! I know how most of this is going to go down but it would be amazing to see some pics of your progress as well!

Subscribed!
Old 02-07-12, 01:54 AM
ariasuriah
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
I'm very happy with the results but another half inch would be perfect.

This is why Rich extended the shift linkage by 7'', Fits perfectly in the stock shifter location, I saw this in person during the procedure.
Old 02-07-12, 03:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just buy any sprung disk ACT clutch and a regular or HD pressure plate.

extreme is massive overkill unless you have a built block+FI
Old 02-18-12, 03:55 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Lucky you with no TRAC. I had a big fiasco with summit, ordering lines and adapters, because of an incorrect item description.

Yeah about the shift linkage, I had to learn the hard way.Do you remember what Rich decided to do for a shifter? I had someone cut out the short straight section between two bends and now the shifter can select all gears just fine.

I went with an Exedy stage one "organic" clutch.

Rear main seal replaced, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and transmission are all on.

Gotta motivate myself to mess with some wiring tomorrow. If all goes well, driveshaft will be done before I'm done replacing the timing belt and water pump.

I'm having scrolling problems and forget if I mentioned I'm trying to upload photos. It's taking forever from mobile. If anyone would be kind enough to upload and post for me, pm me and I'll email you what I have.
Old 02-18-12, 04:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

is your flywheel drilled for the 3S-GTE/2VZ pressure plate? If so, did you have Exedy send you a clutch kit made of a W58 clutch disk and a 3SGTE pressure plate?
Old 02-18-12, 04:53 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

The flywheel is the one sold with the w58 kit on toyotav8, so that should be a yes. A buddy stopped by with a clutch kit. Everything lined up, so I stopped by the local supplier and ordered it. The part number was 16803A.

Now from my understanding of the application chart, the disc shouldn't line up with the input shaft splines. So either I was wrong about what works with what or Exedy sent the wrong product twice.
Old 02-19-12, 07:32 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Great. Trying to post a bunch of pictures crashes mobile browser.

This is how the shift linkage sat in neutral before getting it modified.

After the modification. Angle was retained, the straight section between the two bends was cut out.

Old design required modifications to front bearing retainer if you want to go with the t56 hydraulic throw out bearing setup. The holes had to be countersunk and bolts replaced with flat head bolts. And the throw out bearing guide tube cut off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 5 speed swap in progress