LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thanksgiving story (Tire related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 07:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Post Thanksgiving story (Tire related)

Happy Thanksgiving
Yesterday afternoon I heard, and then spotted, a screw in my back tire. Alot of you know I've been out of work for a while but I finally found a job and start on Monday. (been out for over 2 years and VERY stressed) So I think "I can't be late for my first day if this is flat on Monday morning". (my spare is also flat) Being low on cash, I went to Town Fair to get it plugged for $4.20 b/c everyone else wanted $20. Well, they take it off and patch and balance the tire instead of just throwing a plug in it. So I figured it wont be balanced correctly but I'll worry about that later. They were real busy, the guy says "It will take about 30 minutes" so I said "do it", I paid the $4.20, and I sat down. Well, 2 1/2 hours later, the guy calls me up front and says it's done and they brought it around front. The only thing he said to me was "your carrier arm bushings are shot" and he hands me the key. Being dark out, and I was pissed for waiting that long, I didn't even look at the tire. Plus I figured it was just a screw anyway, what could they "screw" up? The drive home was fine and felt pretty balanced and smooth. (actually very smooth)

I go out to the car this morning b/c, of course, I forgot to get something for Thanksgiving dinner. Something looked different about my car. I stopped and looked at it and thought "That looks clean, maybe from the rain". As I got closer to the car my eyes got wider and wider and my mouth dropped. This must be a dream.......I have 4 brand new tires on my car. I can't believe it, 4 new tires for $4.20. How stupid can these kids be down at Town Fair? They must have mixed up someone elses paperwork with mine and I got their tires. I don't know if I'll get a call from them if they ever figure it out but it couldn't have come at a better time. Holiday season, my birthday is Saturday, new job, and I'm broke. Happy Birthday to me!!! Thanks for reading my happy story and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old 11-24-11, 08:36 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Wow! I am sure you will keep us updated on what happens later. Have a good holiday.
Old 11-24-11, 09:02 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Mr Deanshark,
From our records it shows you were at our Town Fair depot yesterday and due to an invoice mix up your Lexus LS400 which you brought in for a puncture repair was fitted with 4 brand new tires.
Could you please return your car to us so we may correct this error by removing the tires and refitting your own, as a gesture of goodwill and with it being Thanksgiving we will refund the $4.20 paid and also give you a voucher for another puncture repair for future use.

Many thanks,

I.AM.Stupid.
Town Fair

Last edited by steve2006; 11-24-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 10:06 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

congrats on their mistake...but karma might come into play someday.
Old 11-24-11, 10:46 AM
PointABE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grats on the free tires, maybe it's a Thanksgiving special haha
Old 11-24-11, 11:07 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steve2006
Dear Mr Deanshark,
From our records it shows you were at our Town Fair depot yesterday and due to an invoice mix up your Lexus LS400 which you brought in for a puncture repair was fitted with 4 brand new tires.
Could you please return your car to us so we may correct this error by removing the tires and refitting your own, as a gesture of goodwill and with it being Thanksgiving we will refund the $4.20 paid and also give you a voucher for another puncture repair for future use.

Many thanks,

I.AM.Stupid.
Town Fair
Oh yeah, I'll come right down, is it ok if I come during my Thanksgiving dinner? LOL
Actually I'm not even going on that side of town for a while. I highly doubt they can do anything anyway, what can they prove? But, I got an idea anyway. The tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A and I really don't want a high performance tire on my LS, it doesn't need performance. (maybe I should go back and ask if they can switch them) I already talked to a friend of mine who has a set of Goodyear Tripletred I might trade. I had those on another car and they were awesome.

Originally Posted by python
congrats on their mistake...but karma might come into play someday.
Believe me, I've had my share of bad karma. Karma has been killing me for years,I know all about karma. This is the first good thing that has happened to me in over 2 years, actually since I bought my LS400. Bought the car, 2 days later got laid off and been out of work since, until Monday finally.
With my birthday Saturday I just figure I got tires and a job for a present. Happy days are on the way.
Old 11-24-11, 11:22 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

What you are doing is commonly referred to as "theft through failure to return lost or misdelivered property."

Once you discovered the mistake, you have an obligation to make a "reasonable" effort to return the merchandise. I doubt you want to risk your new job with an arrest for theft. A mistake was made, man up, do the right thing.
Old 11-24-11, 11:54 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow...that is quite unexpected.
Looking at Tire Rack, the 225/60-16 is $159/each.
Old 11-24-11, 11:58 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is too legit man! haha
Old 11-24-11, 01:57 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by midwest2
What you are doing is commonly referred to as "theft through failure to return lost or misdelivered property."

Once you discovered the mistake, you have an obligation to make a "reasonable" effort to return the merchandise. I doubt you want to risk your new job with an arrest for theft. A mistake was made, man up, do the right thing.
I made a reasonable effort, I actually drove down there about an hour ago. Ooops, they're closed, too bad.
Do the right thing??? I am, first thing tomorrow morning they're getting switched with my buddy's tires. As of 9 A M tomorrow I'll be many miles away from here so I can't do anything even if I wanted to, which I don't. It was a mistake, people make those. His boss probably expects mistakes like that. That's what happens when ya pay someone minimum wage.
Old 11-24-11, 02:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i think you at least owe them the phone call dean...you know, during business hours. obviously they're going to be closed on thanksgiving....
Old 11-24-11, 03:24 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

yes..they wont make u take the tires off,they cant! they are urs to keep, i was a manager at pep boys for years and i had the exact same thing happen...let them know,u look like an honest person and u will feel better about urself as well.
Old 11-24-11, 04:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i think you at least owe them the phone call dean...you know, during business hours. obviously they're going to be closed on thanksgiving....
I know they're closed on Thanksgiving, that was a LOL type of thing.
And yes python, I am an honest guy. I only have one problem calling them about this b/c as python said, they can't make me take them off. I don't want the kid to get fired over this. Who knows, it might be the last straw which pushes the manager over the edge and kicks him out. Mistakes are made, by everybody. Maybe this kid has a wife and kid(s) of his own and if he gets fired who's gonna feed his family. I know exactly what it's like to lose your job at the worst time.
I think I will call them tomorrow, when I'm not driving, and tell them what happened but I will not say who it is or when it happened. That way I can just tell them to watch their employees better and the kid keeps his job. Honestly, I don't feel bad, or dishonest, about keeping the tires but I'd feel really bad if he lost his job. Thanks for everyones opinion on this.
Old 11-24-11, 10:18 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Yeah I'd feel kind of funny if that happened to me. At least give them a call and go from there. Don't swap tires with your buddy until all lights are green.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 11-25-11 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 06:52 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

This is the same as when a bank makes a mistake and credits your account with money that is not yours. If the situation was reversed you would be down there pounding on their door.

They may decide it isn't worth the effort to go after you, but it seems the total bill would have been something over $600 (a felony in many jurisdictions). If they let you off the hook---then good for you.

However, I'd caution you there is an equal chance they won't. If you play hardball and they get the police involved you have the potential to lose far more than a set of tires.

I have seen this type of case before! If you get a call or visit from your local friendly police investigator and tell them to **** up a rope, you could easily become someones "project" for the day. If they can gather enough evidence against you, It goes down hill from there.

You say you don't feel bad or dishonest, but you are going to switch them with a buddy and hide them? Now you are thinking like a criminal.
If you are right sport them babies for all to see!

The advice you have gotten that they "can't make you take them off" is laughable. When push comes to shove they will come off, and it will likely happen at the police impound lot.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I hope it all works out for you.

Quick Reply: Thanksgiving story (Tire related)