LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TRAC/Brake Fluid flush with DOT 4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 07:07 AM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAC/Brake Fluid flush with DOT 4 ?

I am just in the process of performing the routine maintenance of flushing the brake fluid which I don't know the age of, but it looks nasty. Also, I am getting the TRAC light fault after the traction control has been used a few times. SOOOOO, my question is if it is advisable or not, to replace the existing DOT 3 fluid, with DOT 4? What would the advantages or disadvantages be? Are they interchangable if completely flushed/replaced? Is the TRAC compatable with DOT 4?
Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-21-11, 09:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you can use DOT3/4 interchangeably, 4 has a higher boiling point and is slightly less hydrophillic.

just don't try to use DOT5, that's a totally different (silicone) base and will screw up many a thing.
Old 11-21-11, 10:04 AM
LJBSJB
Rookie

Why wouldn't you just use the original DOT 3?
Old 11-22-11, 05:25 AM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LJBSJB
Why wouldn't you just use the original DOT 3?
My thoughts were 1) A higher boiling point might help the pressure problem with the TRAC system faulting out. 2) My understanding is that DOT 4 fluid was designed to be superior to DOT 3 in all aspects, and that it is supposed to be compatible as a drop in replacement for DOT 3. So, I thought it would only improve operation.
Old 11-22-11, 12:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

In the day-to-day grind, you won't notice the difference from DOT 3-4. With a TRAC error, it may be something else but with nasty fluid, give it a flush and see what follows.
Old 11-22-11, 12:35 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

I Have been Searching in many different Pages on ways to perform a Flush on the System. I Read that i am supposed to Turn on the Vehicle and Loosen the Bleeder that is located on the Nitrogen Canister Until the Fluid comes out Clear. After i am supposed to Repeat the Procedure on the TRAC Pump itself. but when i loosen the Bleeder on either location no fluid comes out. not even a Drop of it. Is there a way to make the pump work while the Vehicle is Idling?? Or is it supposed to be working on its on while idling??
Old 11-22-11, 05:10 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hilux22RE
I Have been Searching in many different Pages on ways to perform a Flush on the System. I Read that i am supposed to Turn on the Vehicle and Loosen the Bleeder that is located on the Nitrogen Canister Until the Fluid comes out Clear. After i am supposed to Repeat the Procedure on the TRAC Pump itself. but when i loosen the Bleeder on either location no fluid comes out. not even a Drop of it. Is there a way to make the pump work while the Vehicle is Idling?? Or is it supposed to be working on its on while idling??
From all of the searching I have done on all the forums. It appears that if you raise the drive wheels off the ground and put it in drive, then put on the brakes, it will sense different wheel speeds and actuate the pump.

BTW, from my searching, I believe that it would make sense for my particular issue to be caused by bad fluid in my TRAC and lines. I will elaborate on my TRAC fault issues once I have had a chance to change all the fluid.
Old 11-23-11, 11:33 AM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Im going to give this a Try. i hope it works. if not then its back to the Internet to search for a way to Make that Pump work.
Old 11-23-11, 08:39 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hilux22RE
Im going to give this a Try. i hope it works. if not then its back to the Internet to search for a way to Make that Pump work.
Please let me know if it works for you.
Old 11-24-11, 08:36 AM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Default Negative Results

Originally Posted by FireEMT978
From all of the searching I have done on all the forums. It appears that if you raise the drive wheels off the ground and put it in drive, then put on the brakes, it will sense different wheel speeds and actuate the pump.

BTW, from my searching, I believe that it would make sense for my particular issue to be caused by bad fluid in my TRAC and lines. I will elaborate on my TRAC fault issues once I have had a chance to change all the fluid.
So i just tried this Method.. and it does not seem to Activate the Pump..

Back to Trolling the Web..
Old 11-24-11, 09:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

if u turn the key to the "on" position and run the master cylinder dry of fluid....u just smoked ur abs unit! take it to a shop and dont attempt to save a dollar when it could cost u so much more!
Old 11-24-11, 09:13 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bleeding.htm
Old 11-24-11, 09:15 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As your TRAC light is already on and there is no fluid coming out when you open the bleed nipples on both the nitrogen canister and the pump it may be due to the fact the nitrogen accumulator is empty.
What TRAC fault code do you have? If it is the usual error 41 TRAC motor running for too long chances are it will be the accumulator.
Even with the engine off there should be enough reserve pressure in the nitrogen accumulator to push the brake fluid out.
I had the same problem with both the TRAC light on and unable to bleed fluid but after replacing the accumulator with a spare I had regassed all worked as it should.
Old 11-24-11, 10:11 AM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

I Don't have a TRAC Light on. My system Just Doesn't work. i Try pulling codes and i get Continuous Flash (No Codes). So if the Canister is Empty The TRAC System will not work?? Where can I get a Canister Re gassed??
Old 11-24-11, 10:38 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I read you were getting the "Trac light on when the traction control has been used a few times" so I assumed it was stopping on indicating a fault/code.
I had my accumulator done at a local hydraulic engineering company here in the UK, there is also a guy at the UK Soarer Santuary who offers a complete exchange rebuild with new seals for around $180.00 (120.00GBP) but I don't know if he ships internationally.
Could you not try pressure bleeding the brake system?

Quick Reply: TRAC/Brake Fluid flush with DOT 4 ?