LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brakes went out

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 03:47 AM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes went out

I have a 1990 LS400 and all of a sudden the break peddle went to the floor and I had almost no brakes. They wouldn't pump up by repeatedly pressing the peddle down, so would that be the master cylinder? The fluid level was down just a little, isn't leaking anywhere I can see under the car. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-11, 05:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Before just saying "it's the master" you should take the tires off and check all the lines. Even though you don't see anything leaking under the car it could be leaking and spraying all over inside the rim but not dripping.
Old 11-03-11, 05:29 AM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. My son had the same issue and there was no puddle or drips under the car. Same symptoms as you. Very little loss of fluid in the cylinder but no pressure at the peddle. I took each wheel off until I found a small leak in a line. I cut it out and replaced it. I've been told that once one line rusts through the rest will follow soon, although I don't know if that's true or not. Something to consider on a 21 year old car.
Old 11-03-11, 07:38 AM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

I was under the car while my fiance was pumping the peddle and watched all the lines and calipers to make sure they weren't leaking, cause that was my first thought is that there was a leak. But with no leak found, I figure it's the master cylinder. Does that sound right? I haven't had a chance to diagnose break issues other than replacing pads when worn for quite a few years....
Old 11-03-11, 08:13 AM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know how to check the master cylinder. If no one chimes in here I'd google "how to check master cylinder". Did you look closely at the brake lines? The reason I ask is that on my son's car the brake line was wet for only about 4 inches even after I pumped the brakes in the driveway. If you have a leak in the lines it may not be very obvious. Look for anything wet, not necessarily dripping.
Old 11-03-11, 10:41 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by ImWildBill
I have a 1990 LS400 and all of a sudden the break peddle went to the floor and I had almost no brakes. They wouldn't pump up by repeatedly pressing the peddle down, so would that be the master cylinder? The fluid level was down just a little, isn't leaking anywhere I can see under the car. Any ideas?
When were the brakes done last? Aside from a line leaking, it could also be a piston moved in too far because the rotor was turned too thin. It happened to a friend of mine. If thats not it, you must have a leak somewhere. The master cylinder needs to be looked at but that would be too obvious. Look under the car and see if its spraying backward while you were driving.
Old 11-03-11, 01:40 PM
jb2wheels
Driver School Candidate

Could a bad booster cause this?
Old 11-03-11, 02:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no. bad booster would cause the pedal to stiffen, not drop.

you either have a MASSIVE air bubble, or a leak.
Old 11-03-11, 10:28 PM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I work graveyard so when I get home in the morning I'll get back under the car and see if I can see if there are any leaks, any wet spots again. I hope I can fix it with minimal trouble...
Old 11-04-11, 06:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ImWildBill
Ok, I work graveyard so when I get home in the morning I'll get back under the car and see if I can see if there are any leaks, any wet spots again. I hope I can fix it with minimal trouble...
Don't crawl under it to look, you wont see much that way. Take the wheels off so you can get your head right in there and look around everything. Also that way you can get a good look at the inside of the rims to see if it's sprayed in there. Did you try just adding fluid to see if the pedal came back at all, or try bleeding the brakes? That's where I'd start.
Old 11-04-11, 08:11 PM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with above about a thorough check because those lines can leak and be hard to find unless you put it up on a hoist to inspect, however if there is no leak evident then I reckon the master is probably toast, I have changed a couple over the years...
Old 11-05-11, 01:05 AM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Well, found a very small leak in the front passenger rubber line this morning, had to order the line. We picked it up this afternoon but couldn't install it due to having to get some sleep so I can work tonight.

I did add more fluid, it really wasn't that low just under the min line. I'll have the line swapped in the morning and bleed the breaks. I found while looking for the leak that the front drivers caliper isn't releasing all the way. It's still rubbing the rotor some so it looks like a new caliper will be needed sometime soon.... I'll swap it out when I replace the break pads in a month or so.
Old 11-06-11, 12:37 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Dang man, were you on the road when this happened? I lost my brakes once coming up to a red light on my way home from work......I don't think my butt has puckered so tight in my life. Was driving my 89 Firebird with a manual transmission. I shifted down and grabbed the handbrake.....slid through the intersection......didn't wreck thank heavens. There were 2 cops behind me, but they acted like nothing happened, lol.

Bled my brakes the next day and it worked out fine.
Old 11-06-11, 08:38 PM
Rey
Pole Position

Did your lines have cracks in them? Ive noticed cracks in mine, I think its time to upgrade to stainless.
Old 11-08-11, 05:38 PM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

The brakes actually went out when my fiance was driving home from work. I did have brakes go out on me when I still had my 77 El Camino, yeah it'll make your butt pucker up so tight you can't shoot a greased bb up there!

None of my lines look very old at all so I was surprised to find that leak, none are cracked.

Well the other day I replaced the front passenger line that had the pinhole leak in it, bled the brakes and I now have brakes again! Thanks everyone for your help, I'd have just replaced the master cylinder and still had no brakes without the input.

If anyone lives in the Kansas City area and wants to stop by for a beer and Chiefs football on Sundays just drop me a message!

Quick Reply: Brakes went out