LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vibration on my 99

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 06:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rome99LS
So the dealer wants $149 to road balance my tires that's the cost of 1 or 2 tires I told him ok thanks. Lol
That's a rediculous price. I just checked the invoice and saw that my local Lexus dealer - Superior Lexus in Kansas City - charged $49.95 to road force balance my tires last time. I can only describe your dealer's pricing as "predatory". They don't want your business.
Old 11-10-11, 04:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas

I can't imagine taking an LS to Goodyear.
I agree with this, no way would I take my LS to them. I had Nascar tires from them on my Grand Prix and the only reason I ever brought it back to them for balance was b/c I had "lifetime" balance, every 4K miles. At that time it cost $20 for that service, good deal. But the LS needs to be too precise. Also, that $149 charge is a little outragious.
Old 11-10-11, 11:14 AM
tacsan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same issue. Have you been able to change the transmission mount? If so, did it solve the problem?
Old 11-10-11, 11:41 AM
imspencer
Driver School Candidate

If I may butt in, I have a '96 I bought last summer. I took mine to Discount tire to have new chrome wheels put on the tires that came on it and to have a road force balance done. This is where I buy my tires. When I asked how much, to my surprise they said it was free. I was in and out in 45 minutes. You might check this out. enjoy, =spencer
Old 11-11-11, 02:09 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imspencer2
If I may butt in, I have a '96 I bought last summer. I took mine to Discount tire to have new chrome wheels put on the tires that came on it and to have a road force balance done. This is where I buy my tires. When I asked how much, to my surprise they said it was free. I was in and out in 45 minutes. You might check this out. enjoy, =spencer
I'll check with them again...but I think they told me $125.
So I just called discount tires and they told me $25 for each tire...so basically $100 for all tires.

Originally Posted by tacsan
I have exactly the same issue. Have you been able to change the transmission mount? If so, did it solve the problem?
Naw not yet... Ima do The tires first...then go from there.

Last edited by rome99LS; 11-11-11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 05:50 PM
carguychar
Driver School Candidate

Default vibration ?

I have the same Vibration, getting ready to change the trans mount this week, As with most everyone esle, it does it when sitting in PARK also, that would eliminate any Tire problems I . Will let you know how mine does after I finiish.
Old 11-13-11, 09:01 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguychar
I have the same Vibration, getting ready to change the trans mount this week, As with most everyone esle, it does it when sitting in PARK also, that would eliminate any Tire problems I . Will let you know how mine does after I finiish.
Aight thanks bruh!!
Old 11-14-11, 12:49 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading this thread. Have the same problem. I bought a new trans mount last week and am hoping to put it in tonight. Hope it solves it!
Old 11-14-11, 01:27 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anarchyx34
Reading this thread. Have the same problem. I bought a new trans mount last week and am hoping to put it in tonight. Hope it solves it!
Wow...wat year is urs? Hope it does for u too.
Old 11-14-11, 08:11 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MIne's a 98. I just changed it a little while ago actually. WOW what a difference. The mount was shot to hell. I actually had to jack up the transmission a few more inches just to get the crossmember bolted up, it was sagging that badly. Problems it has solved that I've noticed so far.

1. Deep rumbling vibration between 40mph and 60mph. Gone
2. High frequency vibration at idle that I always felt through the shifter and steering wheel. Gone
3. Rumble/erratic vibration felt throughout chassis on hard acceleration. Gone.

The engine seems quieter overall as well. The car has been this way since i got it so this was a nice upgrade. Wow these cars really ARE quiet.

Oh and I just discovered the first aid kit under the driver's seat. I never even knew it was there this whole time. Everything seems unused. Even comes with scissors!
Old 11-15-11, 07:03 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh and I just discovered the first aid kit under the driver's seat. I never even knew it was there this whole time. Everything seems unused. Even comes with scissors!
I sure hope that everything is unused. Hate to have a bloody band-aid in there.

The tranny mount makes a HUGE difference. (so I hear) One of these days I'll get mine done.
Old 11-15-11, 05:30 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

MIne's a 98. I just changed it a little while ago actually. WOW what a difference. The mount was shot to hell. I actually had to jack up the transmission a few more inches just to get the crossmember bolted up, it was sagging that badly. Problems it has solved that I've noticed so far.

1. Deep rumbling vibration between 40mph and 60mph. Gone
2. High frequency vibration at idle that I always felt through the shifter and steering wheel. Gone
3. Rumble/erratic vibration felt throughout chassis on hard acceleration. Gone.

The engine seems quieter overall as well. The car has been this way since i got it so this was a nice upgrade. Wow these cars really ARE quiet.

Ok bet ill order my mounts ASAP. Lol and yea these cars are quiet and smooth. That's why I'm tryna get it fixed. Do I need 2jacks? And how long did it take you?
Old 11-15-11, 08:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Rome, I suggest you revisit the order in which you attempt to resolve vibration issues.

1) Have a set of high quality matched tires that are road force balanced.
2) Verify that there are no worn front suspension components -- especially strut rods if they have more than 75,000 miles on them.
3) If none of the above fixes the issue, only then consider replacing the motor and/or transmission mounts but only if they show signs of collapse or other failure.

This is not brain surgery.
Old 11-15-11, 10:49 PM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Rome, I suggest you revisit the order in which you attempt to resolve vibration issues.

1) Have a set of high quality matched tires that are road force balanced.
2) Verify that there are no worn front suspension components -- especially strut rods if they have more than 75,000 miles on them.
3) If none of the above fixes the issue, only then consider replacing the motor and/or transmission mounts but only if they show signs of collapse or other failure.

This is not brain surgery.
If he is having a vibration issue WHILE IN PARK why would his spend money going after issues that would give him a vibration only while being driven? I would look into the tranny mount and your motor mounts first as strut rod bushings and tire balancing will not resolve the vibration issue with the car in park.
Old 11-15-11, 11:44 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How difficult is it to replace strut rods? I guess if I have to ask, it's over my head. lol

Quick Reply: vibration on my 99