LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 05:07 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Rear brake question

The other day I started hearing a metal to metal sound in the rear just like warn brakes. (you know, the rivots into the rotor sound) Well, I took the tires off and the brakes look decent and the rotors are nice and smooth. I know it's the back and it's the brakes. Now, my question is; does the emergency brake (shoes inside the rotor) work with the rear brakes when ya hit the brake pedal? I wouldn't think it would but I'm not familiar with this set-up. The E-brake doesn't work if I push the pedal down while driving and there's no scraping when I do that either. Weird, only when I hit the brake pedal. I'll be looking at it more tomorrow when the rain stops but I was just looking for ideas on how these brakes work. Also, seeing how I'm talking brakes, when I do change the brakes do I need to use new shims or are the old ones reusable? TIA
Old 09-29-11, 07:24 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I just reused the old shims. if pads are not worn, just take them off and break the glaze.
the EB is independent . you might want to check the EB shoes and make sure the cable pulls and releases properly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
br-8.pdf (12.1 KB, 591 views)
File Type: pdf
br-42.pdf (27.3 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-29-11 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 05:46 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Thanks Billy, I got the manual but I thought maybe I was missing something. I just can't figure out why I have the metal to metal sound when I hit the brake pedal. It's only when I'm just about stopped, like 3 MPH to a stop. Right when ya push on the pedal harder to stop. It's not all the time so I'm thinking maybe something is bent in there. I'll take it apart soon. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-11, 07:39 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dean, it could be the pads themselves.
my new pads with 6k on them make this sound, pretty much exactly as you described. only difference is that my noise is in the front.
I had thought about swapping them out with the old pads. I saved them being they were only about 50% worn.

and I dont have any noise untill the pads are warmed up.

another thing to check, is the rotor surface. if you have the "rust rings" around the rotor's edge, and the hat of the rotor, it could be the pads surface is hitting the rust, thus causing your noise. I have seen it a few times, and sometimes just machining the rotors will solve the issue.
Old 09-30-11, 12:52 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I found it, actually my 3 year old granddaughter found it. There was a big piece of rust stuck between the pad and the rotor. I didn't see it yesterday when I took a quick look. Today I'm out there, had it up on jack stands ready to take it apart and my granddaughter was playing in the yard, she comes over to see what gramps is doing. So I explain to her, all the time knowing she don't understand, all of a sudden she yells out "grampa , grampa, look dirt". And there it was, a 1" piece of rust. So I'm thinking do kids really understand mechanics at 3 years old? Anyway, I took the caliper off, got the rust out and no more noise now. I am gonna change the rear pads this weekend anyway just to do it. I probably would have needed them this winter, so I figured now is better. I didn't have them when I pulled it apart or it would already be done. I just bought the cheapest ones I could get for now seeing how I'm broke. New pads and rotors in the spring. But, good for now, and it's quiet again.
Old 09-30-11, 01:25 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Thanks Billy, I got the manual but I thought maybe I was missing something. I just can't figure out why I have the metal to metal sound when I hit the brake pedal. It's only when I'm just about stopped, like 3 MPH to a stop. Right when ya push on the pedal harder to stop. It's not all the time so I'm thinking maybe something is bent in there. I'll take it apart soon. Thanks again.
BRAKE replacement
I am not up on brembo rotors, but I replaced my front rotors and pads the end of may, 2010, and my 99LS drives and stops smooth and solid.
I got a set of TRW rotors and ceramic pads for it.. $90 bucks for everything...
They were made by TRW, I got them at BrakeOverstock:
(this is from them)

There are millions of dollars of surplus automotive parts inventory available in the United States. Brake Overstock specializes in the purchase of surplus name brand brake parts below wholesale prices. We pass the savings on to you with prices up to 40% lower than your local auto parts store. We only sell premium quality brake parts from reputable brand names. Our mission is to exceed your expectations, and earn your business again and again. Our team is dedicated to 5 Star performance. Have questions? Customer service representatives are available M-F from 8:30 to 6:00 pm CST.
You can call us at (888) 441-8808 or e-mail us at brakeoverstock@gmail.com

And I am familiar with TRW, having owned my own garage for 30 years.
you can check them out here: http://www.trwauto.com/

good luck on yours... hope this helps.

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-30-11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 01:57 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my brake pads from autozone. Cost 50 bucks for both rears and fronts. They told me it has a lifetime warranty, as long as the the pads arent down to the metal or uneven wear, you can exchange them for new ones. I dont know how good the warranty is but the autozone pads works perfect for me. So far no complaints.
Old 09-30-11, 02:20 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bauceLS400
I just replaced my brake pads from autozone. Cost 50 bucks for both rears and fronts. They told me it has a lifetime warranty, as long as the the pads arent down to the metal or uneven wear, you can exchange them for new ones. I dont know how good the warranty is but the autozone pads works perfect for me. So far no complaints.
Yeah that's what I did for now, $22 for Duralast just the rears. I've always had decent luck with them on my other cars but I just don't like the dust they put out so later on I'm going with much better. Like I said, these are just til spring. I'll just have to wipe down the rims alot more.