LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Re 97 lS400 new battery drain causes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 09:25 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re 97 lS400 new battery drain causes?

Hi all, my battery is 1 month old. Yesterday it started perfect as always, but w/in 1/2 block the antenna started making sounds like it couldn't go up or down, so I hit the CD button. That's when the radio went on/off, never switching to CD's. I drove 10 blocks to the store, went in for 5 min., came out to a dead car. Luckily, the mechanics shop was 1/2 block away, so I walked there, they followed me back, jumped it and I drove there where it promptly died so bad I couldn't even put it in park. They charged it for 5 min., told me to drive it for 20-30 min. to charge it. It made it (thank GOD) 25' before dying. I called them this AM and they said it could be the altenator. Could it be the CD changer/antenna? IF it's the altenator, how much? Thank you all in advance, since you keep "a little lady(ha!)" from being taken advantage of. God bless, peace.
Old 09-29-11, 10:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Hey Kim, it sure does sound like your alternator isn't charging at all. With a fully charged battery you would only be able to drive 20-30 minutes before the car just shuts off. The price for a new one from the dealer is about $290 as you can see here at Sewell; http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S400-1997.html I'm sure you can get one cheaper, maybe someone else would know on that. And for labor your mechanic shop will probably charge you for an hour to install it. Autozone has an alt. for $145 + $80 core charge which you get back by bringing in the old one. That all depends on if you want OEM or aftermarket parts. One of the reasons why the alternator on the LS fails is the power steering pump leaks fluid onto and into the alternator. Is your power steering pump leaking? If so get that fixed also or this will happen again.
Old 09-29-11, 10:33 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Hey Kim, it sure does sound like your alternator isn't charging at all. With a fully charged battery you would only be able to drive 20-30 minutes before the car just shuts off. The price for a new one from the dealer is about $290 as you can see here at Sewell; http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S400-1997.html I'm sure you can get one cheaper, maybe someone else would know on that. And for labor your mechanic shop will probably charge you for an hour to install it. Autozone has an alt. for $145 + $80 core charge which you get back by bringing in the old one. That all depends on if you want OEM or aftermarket parts. One of the reasons why the alternator on the LS fails is the power steering pump leaks fluid onto and into the alternator. Is your power steering pump leaking? If so get that fixed also or this will happen again.
Hey Dean, I knew you were out there somewhere, ( thank God!) and you would come through for me! As far as the PSP leaking on it, wouldn't the mechanic have seen that w/in 24 hours? Or is it not that noticeable? If the CD changer/antenna had been running non-stop, could that have anything to do w/it? Or could there be a short circuit somewhere? Thank you for your always helpful and timely reply. God bless, peace and rock and roll! PS. Just talked to "young guy" at the shop, who said"head guy" left for the day. I told him there's only 2 altenators in town and asked if they had checked to see if the PSP is leaking on it. He said no, so I asked him if this was an easy thing to check or not. He said it would have to be put on the lift to see. Sooooo, I asked has this not been done yet? He said no, soooo, I suggested that perhaps when the boss comes back tomorrow, that he might be impressed that he had checked it out. Is this a common problem that causes the altenator to go out? Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by lexuskim; 09-29-11 at 11:16 AM. Reason: new information
Old 09-29-11, 11:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuskim
Hey Dean, I knew you were out there somewhere, ( thank God!) and you would come through for me!
Yeah still sitting in front of the computor with no job. Soon though.
Anything is possible with these cars but if there was a short somewhere draining the battery it would only do that when the car is not running. If the alt. was good it would keep charging and everything would work normal. I don't think the radio/CD/antenna has anything to do with it, just a coinsidence. When the battery dies it does crazy things with the electronics. I'd bet if you charged the battery full, your CD and everything would work fine. As far as the PS pump leaking, your mechanic would actually only notice it when he started working on or near the alt. It would be completely covered, black fluid. Sometimes the alt just dies, not always b/c of the PS fluid.
With them charging the battery for only 5 min and then it died on you in 25' means the alt. isn't charging the battery at all. So it would either be the battery or alt. Does he have the car now? I'm sure he would test everything to make sure it's the alt. before he changes anything.
Old 09-29-11, 02:17 PM
lexuskim
Rookie

Hey Dean, good luck on the job search! The "young one" said "head guy" had to check 2 more things, but is pretty sure it's the alt. Is it just me, or should they have put it up on the rack by now? Anyway, again thanks for your help. I hope you're looking for a job as a mechanic!
Old 09-29-11, 02:36 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuskim
Hey Dean, good luck on the job search! The "young one" said "head guy" had to check 2 more things, but is pretty sure it's the alt. Is it just me, or should they have put it up on the rack by now? Anyway, again thanks for your help. I hope you're looking for a job as a mechanic!
Thanks for the good luck wishes, but nope, not as a mechanic, I insulate new houses and commercial buildings. (almost 30 years) Personally I don't like working on other peoples' cars anymore, (I've had too much of that in the past) unless it's one of my kids. They keep me pretty busy, I can't even do anything on my own car.

The mechanic, (just a thought) he might be doing your car between other jobs that he has there b/c they made appointments to have thier car there and yours is a "drop off and fix" job. But I can't think of 2 more things if he already thinks it's the alt. I mean, the first thing you would check is if the alt is charging.
Old 09-29-11, 03:19 PM
lexuskim
Rookie

Well Dean, I should find out tomorrow, but hey, if anyone needs insulation, it's in CT! I live in LA and Chicago, so I go from 1 extreme to another. I'll update tomorrow. Again, thanks, God bless and peace.
Old 10-03-11, 09:23 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Hey Dean,just got my car back yesterday. At the cost of $354. They said the altenator was $229? Plus 1 1/2 hrs @ $84/hr. I think that's high and told them I could have gotten the alt. for $145 minus the core price and saved money, but, of course they said it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Of course! Oh well, my baby's back safe and sound. Thanks for all the help
Old 10-03-11, 09:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

First, glad you got it back and it's in good condition. He probably said it wouldn't be under warranty meaning his labor b/c the alternator has it's own warranty through the manufacturer. And 1 1/2 hours is way too much, I really hate it when a female comes in and they see $$$$$. I did mine in about 15 minutes laying on the ground, not in the air on a lift like he has. But, at least it's fixed and you're back on the road.
Old 10-03-11, 11:10 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Sometimes I would like to dress as a man to see if I had different quotes. Even when I do my homework prior to going in, they still wear the "little lady" glasses! Oh well, I still have fun messing with them!