LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

perfect fitting 91 rubber floor mats? how to adjust headlight level? Blower motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 11:51 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfect fitting 91 rubber floor mats? how to adjust headlight level? Blower motor?

I have a 91 ls400 and love it...161K and spent $1750 on it...new tires and a/c charge and cleanup later..she purrs for $2500

I want some good all weather rubber floor mats that fit the inside of the LS better than just * standard universal sedan fit*...I have seen hundreds listed for sale...whats best?
if you bought some for yours and they fit well can you tell me where to get them? My color is grey inside

also..how do I adjust the height of my headlights?...They are both pointing so far down right now I use my highs without getting flashed and they still arent high enough. A picture or diagram would help a lot!...I have ZERO idea on these and am bad at figuring things out I guess if I can't find the adjuster screw on it by myself

Also if anyone knows how to get to and disassemble the blower motor for the cabin please let me know..Mine sucked up a leaf or piece of trash paper and makes a loud sound....

ANYWAY!
thanks all
Old 09-28-11, 01:38 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-on-ls400.html

It's actually the A bolt (one closest to the parking light) that moves the headlight up and down.
Old 09-28-11, 02:31 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

As far as the floor mats go...

http://www.weathertech.com

boosh.
Old 09-28-11, 07:35 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Lexus Headlight adjustment (reposted from others)

I have a '97 LS and just tonight finally figured out how to adjust the headlights. It is an easy DIY. Don't take it to your mechanic. I am assuming that a '96 has the same headlight setup as my '97. Anyway, this is what I discovered with the screws behind the headlight. My headlight aim left to right was fine, so I didn't have to adjust that, but I'll tell you how to do it just in case you need to do it. You will need a small 1/4 inch ratchet with an 8mm socket or something equivalent.

I did this in my garage with an old towel hanging down in front of the headlight that I was adjusting. The headlights were on and I made a mark on the towel showing the top of the brightest part of the beam. That way I would know if the beam was adjusting up or down. Now, here's the riddle of the screws on the back of the headlight. When standing at the drivers side of the car, looking down at the back of the drivers side headlight, you will notice that there are two screws on the upper right side of the back of the headlight. One philips screw is embedded in a small gray round plastic cog. The teeth of this cog interlace with the teeth of a hex screw about an inch below it. This lower hex screw is the adjustment screw for left to right on the headlight. Turn this hex screw with your 8mm socket. Once again, this will adjust the headlight from left to right.

Now for elevation adjustment. Like yourself, this is what has been bugging the out of me for some time now. Once again, standing at the drivers side of the car, looking down at the back of the drivers side headlight, you will notice another hex screw at the upper left side of the drivers side headlight. This will NOT adjust your headlight. I do believe it adjusts the fog light elevation, just FYI. Look below this screw and about 4 inches below it, toward the bottom left side, you will see another hex screw sticking out of a hole surrounded by black plastic trim. This is the headlight elevation adjustment screw. Turn it lefty loosy to raise your headlight beam or righty tighty to lower the beam. It will be a tight fit to reach this screw. I had to remove the battery hold down bracket for more room. Once you do this, adjusting the passenger side headlamp will be very similar except the position of the screws on the back of the headlamp will be reversed. Of course, to access the passenger headlamp, you'll have to remove the air cleaner assembly.

AC BLOWER
So here's the fix:
My AC blower motor only ran in low speed no matter what settings I used. Turns out the AC blower motor is tied into the over all Mute system for the phone and the stereo. Last week my stereo sound quit. I could barely hear the music when I cranked the volume all the way up. I did some searching here and discovered a fix by bypassing the phone ECU, and that would bypass the mute system for the car. When I checked out the phone unit in the trunk (passenger side well) I found it full of water, and there were the connectors laying in the water, and they had been doing it for a long time. There were two red wires that were connect, they rusted a part. So rather than re connect the wires I just re plug the main cables to bypass the phone cuz I wanted to take the phone out anyways.
Tuesday I noticed the AC blower would only run on low, so that was the beginning of this new search for answers. I posted here first and waited to see if anybody ever had this problem, but I guess nobody has since I never heard anything.
So today I ripped the glovebox out and started checking all the usual suspects, I even went to Lexus bought a new motor, and blower motor control ($500). They didn't fix it.
So on my way back to Lexus to return the parts, I decided to go back into the trunk, and hook the phone back up, and connect the two rusted red wires, well sure as hell everything is working properly again.
So the Mute system in the car shuts down the stereo, and it lowers the speed of the AC blower motor too. Who would have thought the stereo system and the AC system are connected some way.

So here are two fixes:

If you lose volume in your factory stereo, reconnect the two red wires that rusted out in the puddle of water in the passenger side well of your trunk.

And if your AC blower motor only runs at low speed, check out the cables that are in the puddle of water in the passenger side well of your trunk.

And if you have not had either one of these issues yet, check the passenger side well of your trunk to see if you have a puddle of water down in there with your phone cables wallowing in there, cut the zip ties and rout them up higher in the trunk well, and pop the little rubber plug out to let the water drain.

Hope this helps somebody out.
Old 09-28-11, 10:15 AM
Patsum
Pole Position

I ordered the weathertech mats for $115 shipped for the whole 4 set. I hope these are great quality and it looks like it. Thank you for the advice!

I will do the headlights this weekend as they are pretty useless right now..... I need to take that yellow glass out of my fog lights so they all look white and I can see the road better....I sure wish someone had done a good Projector Mod for these headlights...the first gen ones seem to really stink. thank you for the advice again.

For the blower.....I am confused as to why we only have three fan speeds for the cabin cooling heating....low mid hi....strange... most cars then and now had at least 5 settings between low and hi if not completely variable....
Anyway I dont think I made my comment too clear. There is currently something stuck in the blower itself I need to get to get take out. It doesnt seem like an easy take on a 1st gen 1991.....any help or ideas?

Patrick
Old 09-28-11, 12:11 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

idle thought..... SURELY you have removed, checked, or cleaned the "cabin filter" in your LS...
if you have not, you need to do that FIRST.
Old 09-28-11, 12:40 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

correct me if I am wrong but my 1991 does not have a cabin air filter. if so..where the heck is it? I have been restoring this thing for a few weeks and found no sign of it..... only an engine air filter of course

I am 99% sure my Gen 1 does not while your Gen 2 does. otherwise it would not have sucked up a leaf or trash or whatever it is in there now...

EDIT:
quick parts search shows the 1991 does not have a cabin air filter and the first year to have one was 93 I think

Last edited by Patsum; 09-28-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 04:42 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Patsum
correct me if I am wrong but my 1991 does not have a cabin air filter. if so..where the heck is it? I have been restoring this thing for a few weeks and found no sign of it..... only an engine air filter of course

I am 99% sure my Gen 1 does not while your Gen 2 does. otherwise it would not have sucked up a leaf or trash or whatever it is in there now...

EDIT:
quick parts search shows the 1991 does not have a cabin air filter and the first year to have one was 93 I think
YOU are so right, my boo boo. sorry. but this might help:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=27874
Attached Thumbnails perfect fitting 91 rubber floor mats? how to adjust headlight level? Blower motor?-blower_motor_removal.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-28-11 at 04:52 PM.