LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

trans shift solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 09:54 PM
piratebron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans shift solenoids

hello, I have a 1990 LS 400 with 225K It`s in great shape but I am having the classic shift problems that mean the shift solenoid (s) is going out. Where is a good place to get new shift solenoids. Also is there a good tutorial out there (with lots of pics) showing how many, where they are, and how to replace them?
Thanks
Old 09-28-11, 04:15 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

The classic problems? I haven't heard of such a thing, enlighten me?

Did your car throw a code? Did you check said code? If not, how can you be certain that the solenoids are going out?

I just searched around and haven't found a tutorial. Find it in your heart and pick up a camera when you go to do it, help all of us LS owners out!
Old 09-28-11, 05:13 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shift solenoids are very easy to change. Same procedure as changing the trans filter. The most difficult part will be disconnecting the electrical lead at the solenoid without breaking the clip. If it breaks, tiny zipties can be used to secure the connection.
Old 09-28-11, 07:45 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

and yes, there is a diy on changing the shift seloniods
Old 09-28-11, 02:02 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my shift solenoids were beginning to act up...the symptoms were clear and more than anything, there was a constant CEL. Check your codes first to make sure its showing up the proper problem area.
I went ahead and replaced the trans-filter while i was at it. (not an expensive part) and finish replacing the solenoids. they were some itty-bitty little things.
I ordered from here http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...e=A340solenoid
After everything, the car has been running well (trans-wise).
It's the solenoid kit for the A341E transmission.
Goodluck!
Old 09-28-11, 09:16 PM
btruong1
Driver School Candidate

from the SC400 forum, but same trans and procedure

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...placement.html
Old 03-04-12, 02:05 PM
fasteddy50
Driver School Candidate

F I N A L L Y S O M E O N E P O S T E D P I C T U R E S. Thanks Man. Very helpful. Ed
Old 03-04-12, 03:05 PM
ariasuriah
Driver

Originally Posted by piratebron
hello, I have a 1990 LS 400 with 225K It`s in great shape but I am having the classic shift problems that mean the shift solenoid (s) is going out. Where is a good place to get new shift solenoids. Also is there a good tutorial out there (with lots of pics) showing how many, where they are, and how to replace them?
Thanks
Are you 100% positive it's the solenoids? I say check the wire in the trunk first to see if there is any damage to the harness at all. Trust me.
The solenoids are super easy to change if they do need to be replaced. Definitely have some mini zip ties handy for sure, as the harness connectors will most definitely snap 100% guaranteed. Be sure to change the filter as well. Good luck.

Last edited by ariasuriah; 03-04-12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 08:45 PM
305ls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by ariasuriah
Are you 100% positive it's the solenoids? I say check the wire in the trunk first to see if there is any damage to the harness at all. Trust me.
The solenoids are super easy to change if they do need to be replaced. Definitely have some mini zip ties handy for sure, as the harness connectors will most definitely snap 100% guaranteed. Be sure to change the filter as well. Good luck.

what cable in the trunk??
Old 03-05-12, 02:25 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 305ls400
what cable in the trunk??
you must be new here.....
do a search on trunk hinge wiring, or read the stickies
Old 03-05-12, 03:58 AM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Been talking to alot of Tranny repair shops and they seen these thing throw codes for the solenoids and it's usually something else Like a whole rebuild more like. Specially with 225K

Good Luck I hope it's just the solenoids and def do the Filter as well
Old 03-05-12, 11:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by atlls400
Been talking to alot of Tranny repair shops and they seen these thing throw codes for the solenoids and it's usually something else Like a whole rebuild more like. Specially with 225K

Good Luck I hope it's just the solenoids and def do the Filter as well
try talking to shops that actually know these cars.

i had a single solenoid replaced >40k miles ago (as the Wiring harness to it was dead and it was replaced as a precaution) and the car hasnt missed a beat since.
Old 03-08-20, 05:35 PM
hhadden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ariasuriah

What do you mean by check the wire harness in the trunk? I am having similar problems with my 1992 LS400. It runs great motor wise its just having shifting issues it is slow on the take off then it shifts weird a combo of hard and long. Sometimes you have to slightly let off the gas for it to shift . I fell its minor because its not slipping so to say and when you mash into it it drops down in the passing gear. I got it up to 70mph today on a test drive after i removed and cleaned the throttle body. Any clue on what my issue might be ????
Old 03-09-20, 09:30 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hhadden
What do you mean by check the wire harness in the trunk? I am having similar problems with my 1992 LS400. It runs great motor wise its just having shifting issues it is slow on the take off then it shifts weird a combo of hard and long. Sometimes you have to slightly let off the gas for it to shift . I fell its minor because its not slipping so to say and when you mash into it it drops down in the passing gear. I got it up to 70mph today on a test drive after i removed and cleaned the throttle body. Any clue on what my issue might be ????
Have you ever drained and filled the transmission fluid?
This is what he means when he says to check the harness.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-in-trunk.html

Last edited by sha4000; 03-11-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 09:57 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Transmission solenoid wire harness

Thanks
The 1999 LS400 A650-E transmission employs a fluid temperature sensor that is prone to diminish with age.

The A340 solenoid harness probably uses similar sensor.

Our transmissions shift differently when cold.

Said sensor may be a contributing factor if it cannot properly direct the ECU.

Quick Reply: trans shift solenoids