LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Xxr 962s

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 12:08 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A high priority is getting a quality wheel that will be safe. Any wheel can fail though the better quality ones will have proven reputations and be strong for the application which it is being used. Look through some of the bent wheel threads from pot holes. Having a rim crack or spoke fail will result in a catastrophic failure. Most the wheels wind up with a bent barrel.

Some vids of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mSGlWLw48w
Old 09-24-11, 09:56 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary Sheehan of GST Motorsports
I run the rota dpt on my sti as well on hoosier a6 295/30/18 race tires. Recorded over 1.63 lateral g's, bounced around on bumpy lots that we sometimes autox at, caught air many times, and they are still going strong. Rotas are jwl rated as well, same as volks etc.

any wheel can break. its your money do whatever you want with it. if you can afford real wheels props to you but something happen, dont ***** about it. a frn said, dont be a retard by breaking the bank just because you can be socially accepted

having the right tire combo helps too.

REAL Wheels

Old 09-24-11, 03:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol saying you use rotas to compete then posting pics of jdm wheels that have very obviously been in bad accidents/on road incidents isn't really comparable...any wheel will crumple if you hit a curb going 40mph and arent running a super high profile tire.

also, i believe Sheehan was running Motegi Racing Tracklites at the time he won that event, they're 2 piece forged wheels. Regardless he is usually sponsored by wheeldude, a rota distributor.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-24-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 04:54 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So negative about xxr's haha. Only bad side to them is that they are heavy but strong. I had them for 3 years now and still look likr new.
Old 09-24-11, 05:50 PM
AerialAce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
also, i believe Sheehan was running Motegi Racing Tracklites at the time he wont that event, they're 2 piece forged wheels. Regardless he is usually sponsored by wheeldude, a rota distributor.
lol I remember on another forum that guy was speaking as if he was backing Rota but like you said he is sponsored, he could care **** all if his wheel was damaged carving an apex he would get another set free of charge...

At the very least that damaged AME can be repaired, maybe that Volk as well. It could be I just don't lurk enough but I can't remember anyone talking about repairing a damaged set of cheap cast wheels, just replacing them at full price. This was sort of an incentive for me to buy a good set of wheels cause mine did end up being damaged and it can be repaired for less than the cost of a single new wheel.
Old 09-25-11, 08:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Can't believe this is still going on and now it's getting to be nothing to do with the original question. The OP said he's not racing the wheels or anything like that and he just needs a "good looking" wheel, better then what he had. He already bought the xxr's, with tires, for 200 so even if, and I say IF, he breaks one and has to get another one he's still saving over 2 grand by getting these instead of some over priced wheels. This is just turning into a "which wheels are better" thread. (Which is already out there) Just like all the oil threads.

Hey filthyLS4; Do you have any pics of them on your car yet? I applaud you for getting these wheels and not going with "the crowd" and getting some over priced wheels. Being on a budget, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I like the looks of them way better then 90% of the wheels I see on here anyway. It's a whole different style, niiiice.
Old 09-25-11, 10:13 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

they are not staying pink...only put them on to make sure the fitment was good, im getting them powder coated white for free from a buddy that owes me a favor
Old 09-25-11, 10:15 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

btw theses were the rims that came with my car....i think they look horrible

Old 09-25-11, 12:02 PM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Filthy, that's a clean LS. Are you going to leave the lips polished?

She's looking good.
Old 09-25-11, 12:11 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree with you 100%, those wheels ya had are disgusting. The new one look decent, not as much eye widening as the gold on the black car but still good, and better. I'm sure they will look soooo much better once ya get rid of that pink. I can picture the white in my head and I like em. Good job.
Old 09-25-11, 12:29 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by Yotarip
Damn Filthy, that's a clean LS. Are you going to leave the lips polished?

She's looking good.
Thanks, im debating on color im thinking of doing them all white, or I might pull off that pink paint and seeing what they look like polished but im leaning towards all white guess im going to hvae to play around in photoshop a little bit lol
Old 09-25-11, 02:09 PM
tenchu
Driver

Wow, I really like those on there haha. A spacer would make them even better! +1 for white as well
Old 09-25-11, 04:18 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by tenchu
Wow, I really like those on there haha. A spacer would make them even better! +1 for white as well
yea I was thinking about spacers before I got them, but i think its pretty flush on the sides already

Old 09-25-11, 05:26 PM
tenchu
Driver

I think the fronts could be out a bit futher, but hey, thats just my opinion

ps- i also vote for white w/ polished lip, not all white
Old 09-25-11, 07:07 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh no don't let this turn into the don't powdercoat wheels thread too.

Good fitment if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Xxr 962s