LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS400 - power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 03:10 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS400 - power steering question

Hi folks. I've read through the excellent PS bible and I have a question. I clearly have some kind of power steering leak, as I periodically need to top up the power steering fluid reservoir. But I have no leak spots/puddles under the car where it is parked. According to the previous posts, it seems that this would suggest a failure of the ACV valve. However, I do not have the cloudy/smoky exhaust on startup that is symptomatic of the failed ACV.

How do I know which it is? Is it a leaking power steering pump, or is it a failed ACV? And how much should I expect to pay to replace each at a Lexus store?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-21-11, 04:03 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

You may not see smoke. Pull the little hose at the front of the upper intake and check if it is oily.
Old 09-21-11, 10:02 PM
dsolis12
Driver School Candidate

I am having same issue.....and a high rev at start up, but no smoke. Let me know what you find out.
Old 09-22-11, 05:31 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Lextek

Originally Posted by LEXTEK1
You may not see smoke. Pull the little hose at the front of the upper intake and check if it is oily.
Lextek: Thank you very much for responding. I had a look under the hood and here's what I found.

1. I see two little hoses at the front of the upper intake. One very small hose that is not secured by a clamp, and another slightly larger one that is secured by a clamp. The larger one seems to run to the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. On the larger hose, I undid the clamp, but was unable to pull the hose off of the intake housing. I did not want to force it off for fear of breaking something.

2. While having a good look with a flashlight toward the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir, I noticed that the hose connections and associated hardware at the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir were quite obviously very oily, as if the there was a leak from the bottom of the reservoir.

Lextek, what do you think? I very much appreciate your lending your brain to this. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-11, 06:02 AM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

There is a small o ring at the bottom of the res. that usually leaks. You have 2 vacuum lines that run from the idle up valve to the top. One will terminate on the plastic tube of the intake horn and the other will go to the front of the upper intake. Check the one on the upper intake to see if it is wet inside. The hoses have probably become quite hard and it wont hurt to replace it. You will probably break it trying to get it off anyway.

The o ring is a simple replacement. Be sure to clean the screen inside very well when you have it off.
Old 09-22-11, 08:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
I clearly have some kind of power steering leak, as I periodically need to top up the power steering fluid reservoir. But I have no leak spots/puddles under the car where it is parked.
If you don't see anything under the car it's, more then likely, leaking into the alternator. Get the leak fixed ASAP and if it did go into the alternator you might need to change that in the near future.