LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ok so im new here

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 06:01 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok so im new here

Well like the post says i am new to this forum. Just bought the wife a 92 Ls400 that was missing like hell so we did a tune up (plugs,wires, disy caps, and wires) checked the coils checked out great. So i think we have narrowed it down to both cps's. The wires are all cracked with wire sticking out on both. Like i said new here but i have mainly been on supra mania because i have owned several mk3s. But any way is there a way to check them?

thanks for any info
Jeremy
Old 09-09-11, 04:10 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Well to update. Replaced both cam sensors and its still missing like crazy. Checked timing its good. Ran codes still getting 13, and 31 the afm im not worried about i have another 1 can steal from my supra.

Here is what has been done so far.
New wires
new plug
new cap new rotors
newer cam sensors

The bad
The crack head that had it totally ****ed up the exhaust. There are no cats and no 02 sensors. But ibk if that could cause this prob.

So im leaning towards the ecu next. Any other ideas?
Old 09-09-11, 06:58 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Did you check the crank sensor? That will also give you a code 13. I don't have the specs off hand but they're listed here somewhere, I know I listed them a couple times. The bad AFM will give you a hesitation but not a skip so that's not giving you the problem. Try the other AFM you have to see if it changes. How many of them do you have? You Supra guys steal them all from the junkyard so us LS400 guys can't get any. I've been trying to get one from the JY for over a year, they're all gone.
Old 09-09-11, 07:34 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Did you check the crank sensor? That will also give you a code 13. I don't have the specs off hand but they're listed here somewhere, I know I listed them a couple times. The bad AFM will give you a hesitation but not a skip so that's not giving you the problem. Try the other AFM you have to see if it changes. How many of them do you have? You Supra guys steal them all from the junkyard so us LS400 guys can't get any. I've been trying to get one from the JY for over a year, they're all gone.
Thank you ill try that next. Only have three lol. Its a bad habit to keep them around if i could id have about ten.
Old 09-11-11, 07:33 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Ok well yet another up date. I pulled the crank position sensor out it looked great. So after all my reading i don't think that is the prob or the car would not start at all (right)?
So i ordered a ecu got it for 50 bucks off eday. I know its a temporary fix but i plan on sending the other ecu to Arron at driftmotion to have it rebuilt. If it is not the ecu the only thing left to check is the harness right? If any body has any other ideas im open. Like i said its the wifes car so i need to fix it kinda of quick she is on my *** lol.
Old 09-11-11, 08:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

aaron does ecu rebuilds

ive met him a few times and don't recall him doing that sort of electrical work...
(DM is local to me and i know them through the supra community)
Old 09-12-11, 08:23 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Well crap no he doesn't. I talked to him today and he said he didnt do ecus. Im like you i have a 88 supra and i thought i was going with some one that i knew. So where is the best place to have a ecu rebuilt not repaired?
Old 09-12-11, 08:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

rebuilt=repaired... no?
Old 09-13-11, 06:55 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
rebuilt=repaired... no?
From what i have read most places just fix whats broken. I want it pretty much all new when i get it back. Thats the difference. And dm does do cap replacement to the ecu. If you don't believe me call him.
Old 09-13-11, 07:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

wait, so aaron does or doesnt work on the ECUs? you've posted both. frankly it doesnt matter to me since i don't have a first gen....
Old 09-23-11, 08:04 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

So i replaced the ecu. Still missing like hell. So i noticed the wire harness was totally chopped to hell on the right side of the motor( the one that controls both cps's the cam pos sensor and the coil on the right side) if you are looking at the motor from in front of the car. So i replaced the harness. still missing like hell and running way to rich. So i pulled the plug on the coil on the right side( if in front facing the engine) started and ran like crap but the coil still sparked like hell . so i pulled the one on the left coil and no start. But the coil on the right side fires like crazy when i have the plug wire is out of the coil.
Old 10-02-11, 02:25 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little more of an update, the LS is runing on only the driver's bank. all eight cylinders are sparking, leaving fuel.
Is there something else that would cause the injectors on the passenger bank not to get signal?
I've been looking at the schematics for the 1uz (have shop books for my sc400), and can't seem to find any reason that the passenger bank wouldn't get any signal for all four injectors, aside from no power.
Pulled the multimeter out, with the key to run (not started) it gets 12v on both pins?