LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

car wont crank but not fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 07:03 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont crank but not fuel pump

I downshifted to pass a car but when I shifted back to drive and pressed da gas, car stalled out and has started but ran ruff b4 stalling. Did I mess up my timing belt??? I checked fuel pump and its pumping.
Old 08-28-11, 07:10 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

*bites tongue and backs out of this one
Old 08-28-11, 07:17 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

what year? In order for an engine to run, it takes fuel, spark, and compression, at the proper time... so check your timing, and advise.
"started but ran ruff b4 stalling" that covers fuel and some spark, see what you come up with..
Old 08-28-11, 11:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Is this on your '95? If so you better prey it's not the T-belt or you might have some more serious problems on your hands. First thing to do is check the timing marks (all three) by turning the crankshaft pulley bolt, clockwise. If they don't line up do not try to start it. Are you saying it ran rough then died and now it doesn't start? When it died and you tried to start it did it sound like it wanted to start or was it a loud whinning like the belt snapped?
Old 08-28-11, 03:34 PM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Yes da 95. It sounded like it wanted to start. Ima break it down tomorrow but I'm pretty sure.its da timing belt. Dean...send me da schematics on dat, I kno u got it...preciate da info billy
Old 08-28-11, 04:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol if it was the timing belt you wouldn't get to running rough.

you'd get to a cacophony of sound followed by your engine DYING.

you say the fuel pump works, great, what about the REST of the EFI? or the entire ignition system? i can see why python stayed out of this, you barely troubleshot ANYTHING yet magically seem convinced its teh TB?
Old 08-28-11, 06:48 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by puredrifter
lol if it was the timing belt you wouldn't get to running rough.

You'd get to a cacophony of sound followed by your engine dying.

You say the fuel pump works, great, what about the rest of the efi? Or the entire ignition system? I can see why python stayed out of this, you barely troubleshot anything yet magically seem convinced its teh tb?
omg! Thank you for that
Old 08-28-11, 06:58 PM
python
Lexus Champion

car wont crank? if it turns over then it cranks..it has to crank to get to the "ran ruff" stage of procession...then you say u hope u didnt mess up the timing belt? if u did, it would....yea i know but here it comes anyways,and im going to say it....."crank" over really fast because it would not have compression...so i dont think u need any schematics on...dis...dat..or dos.
i suggest either taking it to a mechanic (a known good one), u can go to ur local napa auto parts and ask for a reputible shop to trouble shoot the car..its running i take it? check engine light on? when people make these types of posts its quite apparent they dont have the knowledge to fix their own car....nothing wrong with that but just know ur limits and move forward with the advice given here..good luck

btw cacophony?
Old 08-28-11, 08:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by python
btw cacophony?
do you have a better word to describe the sound of an engine chewing itself into oblivion?
Old 08-28-11, 08:06 PM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Yall gotta lot of sarcasm, but dats cool. Preciate all da info. I came to da conclusion dat it was da tb bcuz a mechanic listened to it and gave dat diagnostic. Ima break it down tomorrow to make sure. True, I have no mechanic skills, but I can follow directions and get the tools I need. @ python, I thought u was gonna bite ur tongue on dis one...Thnx for ur input
Old 08-28-11, 08:10 PM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

What other problems if its da t belt dean???
Old 08-28-11, 09:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

use.
proper.
grammar.
(and spelling).

otherwise people will be less inclined to try and figure out what the hell you're saying and simply not answer.
Old 08-29-11, 05:43 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Those r abbreviations and I'm doin this from my phone. What's grammar got to do with mechanic work...give me a break...or just don't even respond...somebody else sure would....
Old 08-29-11, 06:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i tap out, you're on your own.
Old 08-29-11, 07:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ezsls400
Those r abbreviations and I'm doin this from my phone. What's grammar got to do with mechanic work...give me a break...or just don't even respond...somebody else sure would....
What other problems if its da t belt dean???
If it's the T-belt the other problems are Valves, Pistons,.... oh hell,.... the whole engine would be a problem.
We like to read words because this is a mature car forum, it's not a tiny teens text phone. There's people here to help that are in thier 60s and 70s that don't even understand the text talk. Sure most people (younger) understand that garbage but when I'm seeing "da, dis, dat" it just sounds like someone that doesn't know how to talk yet. Like with this, "Dean...send me da schematics on dat, I kno u got it...preciate da info" Huh?? Are you asking or telling me? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
But anyway, if it was your T-belt, your engine would have eaten itself, like everyone said. If it was 94 and down, there'd be no problem if the T-belt jumped, or snapped. That's why I bought a 93, so I wouldn't have that problem. I've only seen one 96 where nothing happened when the belt snapped. (Very lucky) There is just so many things it could be why your car doesn't start and we can't diagnose it with little to no information. You need to eliminate things to find the problem. Instead of just changing a timing belt, maybe you should start by checking spark plugs, coils, fuel pressure, and everything else that would make it not start. (cheapest and easiest first) I mean, why would anyone just go ahead and spend $5-600 in parts and 10-15 hours changing the T-belt, without checking anything first, when it could be a $30 coil that would take 10 minutes to change? If you have spark at the plugs, or fuel at the injectors, that will eliminate alot and be easier for you to diagnose.

Quick Reply: car wont crank but not fuel pump