LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine Rot?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 11:42 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rot?????

I have come across a one ower 1995 LS400 with 147K on the engine who is selling the car for $4k. The exterior and interior is pristine since the car has always been garaged. Now the bad part is that it has a blown head gasket and the owner thinks that the ecm/ecu is shot. Getting these repairs done is not a big deal but my concern is this: The car has sat in the owners garage since June 2009 and all of the fluids are still in the car. Can a Lexus engine and all of the mechanical parts experience engine rot since it has sat that long? I hope that I am making sense and that you all understand me. Will it cost me more to replace/repair than the actual purchase price? What advice will give me on a Lexus like this?
Attached Thumbnails Engine Rot?????-ls-1.jpg   Engine Rot?????-ls-2.jpg   Engine Rot?????-ls-3.jpg   Engine Rot?????-ls-4.jpg   Engine Rot?????-ls-5.jpg  

Old 08-25-11, 01:20 AM
fatcat2
Driver

my opinion is that i would never pay 4k for a ls400 that isnt running, a stock one that is. i mean, i paid 4k for a 97 with just a little more miles and a few cosmetic flaws and i felt it was mechanically stable. i would talk him down a lot more then that if i were you if you are in love with the particular one.
Old 08-25-11, 01:24 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I tell you what I see:

It has updated wheels, exhaust and clear corners. BHG isn't as common unless it has had some neglect someplace. With the superficial mods, I suspect a younger owner who got it from mom-pops. I suspect it has been abused. If this car were necessary transportation, it would have been fixed ASAP. The driver went onto another car and the owner/family couldn't really care. Until now they may say, this has been sitting in our house for X, what are you going to do with it? With the the obvious repairs, I would say the car is worth more like sub $2K. $4k is for running ones.

Other concerns: aside from the possibly neglected coolant if it overheated. Then I wonder if it had regular drained intervals for other fluids: tranny, differential and PS. All those are big $$ repairs if neglected and the parts go south. In that case, you get a shell and lots of major components in need of maintenance.

Find out more, my thought is stay away at this point.
Old 08-25-11, 05:06 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I've ever experienced "engine rot". Inside the motor you have an aluminum block, forged crank, rods and pistons, rings are steel, head gaskets are MLS (multi layer steel), or graphite empregnated material, and intakes are both aluminum. With that being said, parts do fail from lack of maintenance or from the elements, either way it's not like if it was parked in a garage for 3 years the engines going to be worthless. If you suspect any issues, that it to get it diagnosed. If the check engine light isn't on, it's not blowing smoke, or any signs of overheating, than you'll need to dig deeper.... Did a shop say BHGs?
Old 08-25-11, 06:05 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

What advice will give me on a Lexus like this?
Do you really want our advice on this??
Unless you have plenty of money, and lots of time, find another....

Last edited by billydpowe; 08-25-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 10:30 AM
Rey
Pole Position

One thing that would concern me is all the seals from sitting for an extended period of time. I wouldnt pay that much for it though. Unless you feel confident in tackling all the issues it may or may not have then I wouldnt touch it.
Old 08-25-11, 11:03 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

if it has a bhg, and water is in any of the cylinders, that clyinder would have rusted to the moon and back by now. which means you need a new engine, or rebuild this one. if water mixed with the oil, it likely has destroyed the bearings as oil mixing with water becomes acidic and will eat away at metal if left uncorrected. which again means you need a new engine or rebuild this one. honestly, id tell them flat out it needs a new engine, and possibly ecu.

my advice, i wouldnt pay over $1k for it. and if you do buy it, replace the engine, and be sure all new seals go into the new engine along with new valve cover gaskets, timing belt, motor mounts, coolant hoses, etc.. so you wont have to worry about it for a LONG time.
Old 08-25-11, 11:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

would not touch for >$1000.

especially if you don't have a competent mechanic that isnt out to screw you on hand.
Old 08-30-11, 07:15 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

I just wanted to say thanks for all the responses and sorry it took so long to get back to you all. The good news is that it DOES NOT have a BHG. Had my mechanic look at it very detailed and he did say that the valve covers need to be changed. All of the fluids will need to be changed but I was going to do that any way. We started the car and there was no smoke coming the engine or exhause, no water in the oil, no strong gas smell coming from the exhaust, no check engine light or anything. He did test the ECU and it works fine. So after my mechanic and I did the inspection, I went back to the owner and said to him I would offer $3500 and he said he will give me an answer by Thursday, I said I would like 2 have an answer by 5pm on tomorrow-he agreed and now the waiting game begins...As always, I welcome your comments, and advice....

Last edited by NTRUDA; 08-30-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 08:12 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

good luck luck to you on several levels.
Old 08-30-11, 08:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's good that it isn't a BHG.
We'll be anticipating your deal.
Old 08-30-11, 08:48 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

I just diag'd a caddy with the northstar with a bhg yesterday.
symtoms ? half a gallon of coolant disappeard in about 2 days.
no overheating, fans working, everything seemed fine.

filled up the coolant, ran it for awhile. after 20 mins or so, coolant kept rising out of the overflow bottle. thought an air bubble, waited for it to atop. topped off the coolant. started the car, and the same thing happend.
okay, pulled the plugs....2,4,6,& 8. plugs were dry. so, out comes the videoscope.....down into the cylinders it went. 2,4,6......ok. cyl #8......whats that? yup...coolant along the edge of the piston and wall. put the plugs back in. then I got my dual chamber block testor.....started the car...pump,pump,pump.....green-ish yellow. both chambers.

all this with....no exhaust smell from the coolant, no smoke from the exhaust. not overheating. no driveability issues. just lost enough coolant to trip the low coolant level sensor.

food for thought, hope your guy is right.

not trying to scare you, but your giving up $3500 bucks ! hope your guy is right. if you doubt him for even a second......dump the thought and look for a different ls4.
if you get it, I hope its what your guy says it is .......sorry, I couldnt let it go..had to give my $.02

Last edited by emarknot; 08-30-11 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:55 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

did you get the car?
Old 09-06-11, 10:24 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

they stopped driving it for a reason. you need to figure that reason out before buying it.
Old 09-07-11, 09:29 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

IT'S A DONE DEAL FOR $2000!!!!!!

Talked to the owner earlier today and he agree to sell me the car for $2000. He reasoning for going so low is that HE still thinks it has a BHG and the ECU and that it has sat since 2009. I am glad but am I wrong for not telling him that it doesn't have a BHG and the ECU works ok??? BTW, he also mentioned that he never was in a hurry to repair the car nor was in a hurry to sell it. But I am glad that I was able to ****** it up at this price. I want to thank everyone for all of their comments and advice. I did mentioned to my mechanic that he has a lot of work to get done and that I am just cashing in my favor that he owes me. I do real estate and I was his agent that helped him to purchash his fabulous new shop for a real good price, so I am cashing in my chips to get this car fixed...

Quick Reply: Engine Rot?????