LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

life that ended too early

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 09:04 PM
fatcat2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default life that ended too early

so these were the few photos I was able to snap while I was talking to everybody at once. It did its job very nicely, I had 2 infants, one was 2 years and the other was almost 1 year, my friend and I all in the car. This lady tried to cross the street where I had the right of way and she had a stop. I t-boned here in her rear right quarter panel. I was traveling around 30 mph and what i found was strange is that the air bags didn't deploy.

The only injuries in my ls were that my friend hit his leg against my dash. Both the children in their child seats where fine, just a little startled. The jetta on the other hand had its side air bags deployed. Herself and her two younger children had to go to the hospital. she was traveling very fast already which makes me believe she didn't even stop at her stop sign. Which is why I did not even see her.

Now the car hunt begins again hopefully i will find something a little better then what I had this last time. I think the worst part of it all is that I JUST got my alarm installed and everything. hopefully the other insurance company will pay for that as well.
Old 08-05-11, 09:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you are ok. The air bags should have deployed, I am aware that Toyota/Lexus mentions about a safety check at some interval but I forgot where...X years (?) Sorry to see the car go but it did the job.

BTW, want to sell the grill?
Old 08-06-11, 12:55 AM
fatcat2
Driver

sure but it looks pretty cracked to me?
Old 08-06-11, 02:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good to know you and yourr family got out alright, scary to think how it could have gone in hindsight.

the airbags apparently worked as designed, the impact was offset, with much of the crash energy dissipating into the hood and fender. the airbags (of which there are 2 types, front impact and side curtain) will only deploy under specific conditions (if you've ever been in an airbag collision, you'll understand why). if you had hit the car a few inches closer to the centerline of the car, at the point where a far greater percentage of the shock load would have travelled to your bodies (and consequently stopped the car faster) the airbags would have triggered.

my old '95 was killed in a similar way, with an impact that was driver's side but a few inches more inwards than yours, triggered the airbags as well (similar/lower speed but with an oncoming truck)
Old 08-06-11, 10:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

First off, Glad the kids and you are OK. The title scared me b/c of the little ones. If the only injury was your buddy's leg, be glad the air bags didn't pop b/c those make it worse sometimes. Hope the insurance takes care of you. Well, good luck on another car search. (so soon)
Old 08-06-11, 02:48 PM
fatcat2
Driver

ya im debating on what i want to get next. I really did enjoy this car but i want to spend a little more on the next one and get it perfectly the way i want it. hopefully the insurance takes care of me.
Old 08-07-11, 01:42 AM
fluxedup
Driver School Candidate

If they try to lowball your settlement , see if they will agree to purchase another of the same make model year and condition if you bring one to them. You find it, they haggle and pay. Sometimes thats a good deal for both parties.
Old 08-07-11, 11:18 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

if you are interested in selling any parts from your car please let me know!!!
Old 08-08-11, 12:33 AM
fatcat2
Driver

ya im not going to settle for what i paid for it, i got it for a great deal and i dont think im going to be able to find another one in the same condition for the same amount of money. Plus i just finished installing my alarm and that is going to suck if they dont pay for that since i will have to have it removed/reinstalled. ill give you guys an update tomorrow when i call their insurance company.
Old 08-08-11, 12:41 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My goodness that title scared me as well. Thank God that everyone especially the kids were okay. Good luck looking for another whip. Hopefully its a Lex.
Old 08-08-11, 01:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

insurance in cali tends to look at market and sale prices of similar cars (mileage/trim/age) and uses those to determine value.
Old 08-08-11, 07:59 AM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your lost but I am very pleased that you and your passengers were well ok. You can never under estimate life...
Old 08-08-11, 11:07 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pleased to hear every one is OK.

I had a similar accident around 3 weeks ago when a BMW 525d failed to stop at a red light junction and resulted in mine being a total loss.

Old 08-08-11, 11:15 AM
fatcat2
Driver

Originally Posted by steve2006

I had a similar accident around 3 weeks ago when a BMW 525d failed to stop at a red light junction and resulted in mine being a total loss.

wow yours looks way less worse then mine, and it was totaled out? i was taking a closer look and it was looking as if they only had to replace the front supports, radiator, bumper, hood, fender, liner, and a few mechanical parts. if i were to guess it would cost aprox 4k, which is a little under what im seeing 97's with comparable miles go for. so im thinking they might fix mine but im not positive. im about to call the insurnace and see if they will let me take my car to the place i want. my dad has taken his cars there every time something happens and they go the extra mile to make sure everything is 100% or better in your car before they return it. we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-09-11, 12:45 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2006

a hammer and a headlight would have fixed it

Quick Reply: life that ended too early