LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is my battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 10:41 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Is my battery dead?

Hey folks.

I have been working on my car for several month now and just got it out running.

I installed viper alarm with remote start. Subwoofer with amp and a powercap.

Well sometimes there were weeks and almost a month between upstarts and at a time it could not start. i had the doors open for a long time while installing the alarm and had to connect the battery to find the wires etc.

I used a big transformer charger to get the car started every week or so.

Well my buddy had a pro battery charger and i had it on for a day and it made an error like it did not work. but then we switched the charger to winter mode i think (will check up on the charger model etc). and the day after it was green light and the car startet. i still had some more things to do to the car so and the battery lost the power sometimes in between. Its not loosing all power. its somewhere about 11 volts so thats enought to not be able to start the engine.

Well now i drive the car for three days. yesterday i was cruising around for hours with a friend and had about 4 stop and starts with no problems but then suddently it was dead. luckely i had some starter wires so i got help from a woman nearby so we got it started with no problems with her car. I took the fuse for amp out if it should have something with the amp or powercap to do.

I went home and had the car staying for the night. Started perfect this morning and also when i should start it to get home from work. then me and my brother went for a cruise 2 hours later and it could not start. wtf..

Is my battery dead?

Im very low on money right now because of a huge brake upgrade that went overboard the budget too i would like to buy an optima in the future but like, not right now hehe.. i dont want to spend relatively many money on a "cheap" noname battery. the one i have now is a Varta 95A 680A.

I hope you guys have some clues to help me. This is not VIP for me right now
Old 08-01-11, 10:51 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your battery is dead/dying. Here in the U.S. a good quality battery will cost about $100 installed. I have no idea what it should cost in Copenhagen.
Old 08-01-11, 10:54 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Headlights

By the way, although I'm sure it's not a priority for you right now, please do post a DIY about your headlights when you get a chance.
Old 08-01-11, 10:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Charge the battery up and test it. How old is it? If it is newish, the next place is checking the wiring done up for the remote start and audio system.
Old 08-01-11, 11:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
By the way, although I'm sure it's not a priority for you right now, please do post a DIY about your headlights when you get a chance.
relevant much?

Originally Posted by RA40
Charge the battery up and test it. How old is it? If it is newish, the next place is checking the wiring done up for the remote start and audio system.
also, what kind of battery is it and what voltage are you reading after its been charging?
Old 08-01-11, 12:48 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

PD. Its a Varta 95A 680A. I will do some more checking on voltage etc.

Somnoboy, yes i know i will make a DIY but i'm still not 100% finished with them. But search for retrofit headlights and eagle eyes headlights and you will find some more info and tutorial.

But about the battery i think at least i'm looking for $300 plus for a good quality battery. I know from learning the hard way on working on cars for 9 years that it dont work in the long run buying cheap parts.

I dont know how old it is. maybe it says on the battery? I've had the car for about two years now so at least two years, but it doesnt look very old or anything.
Old 08-01-11, 10:50 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

this morning the car could not start. The volt was 11.37 i used my other car to get it started. I drove to work and checked the volt when i stopped the car and its on 12.58. I will check again before i start the car to get home.
Old 08-01-11, 11:12 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

install a new battery and do a charging system check to make sure the alternator is upto par.

if that checks.ok, then have a draw test done.

the alarm would be the first thing to check.
especially if its a pager type.
Old 08-02-11, 12:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

get voltage for when car is running pls
Old 08-02-11, 07:43 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

yeah its easy enough to just throw money into a new battery but i just wanna make sure that it is the source to the problem. Its expensive overhere.

The reading before i went home today was 12.38 volt and it started fine. Now im home and the idle reading is 12.90 and is raising slowly the past ten minutes upto 13.18v.
Old 08-02-11, 03:11 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Hey folks.

Well i got help from a friend who borowed a battery tester and the battery is dead. So i put in another one i had laying around. A smaller battery but runs perfect. Will be looking for what kind of battery and specs for a new battery. Im really looking into buying a Optima. Dont know if i should choose blue or red top.

But thank you very much for your help :-)
Old 08-02-11, 03:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

blue or yellow, especially if you have audio.
Old 08-02-11, 03:37 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Me and my friends have had bad luck with Red Tops in our cars (non-LS400) for what it's worth.
Old 08-02-11, 11:00 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

i had a red top in my corolla project car for years and it started everytime even if there were months between. But what was you experiencing when you say bad luck?

I was thinking og the biggest model of the blue top. But its too high for the engine bay. So im looking into another project with getting it installed in the back.
Old 08-02-11, 11:07 PM
Rey
Pole Position

I have yellow tops in all 3 of my cars and have had them in other cars in the past and they always worked flawlessly. Some of my cars dont get started for weeks at a time because of laziness and I was going through regular lead acid batteries left and right. Havent gone through a yellow top since.

Quick Reply: Is my battery dead?