LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay $23.99 dash kit... X930BT?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 12:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

qualiity of hardwire is always superior to these wireless units.

those that had bleed had pretty much always used either wrong/cheap parts and/or had cut the wrong wires.
Old 07-08-11, 09:51 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the 98+ ls's. But i use that kit to install a single din in my 96 it it works really well. Fit perfectly and i like that fact that it could be a double din if needed, for me to upgrade later. That harness is a no go tho. But i so far can vouch for that kit.
Old 07-09-11, 05:38 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a PDF of the wiring diagram? I'd like to see what's so complicated about these systems.
Old 07-09-11, 06:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchyx34
Anyone have a PDF of the wiring diagram? I'd like to see what's so complicated about these systems.
Here you go ... wiring diagrams for both the Nakamichi and standard Pioneer systems in the 98-00 LS400. The Nakamichi isn't more complicated than the standard Pioneer system - just different.
Attached Files
Old 07-09-11, 07:28 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting that. The only thing I see that's a little funky is that the fader appears to be controlled by one wire (SE1), which is probably why the beatsonic adapter says that the fader will no longer work. Aside from that, nothing seems all that difficult, and I'm wondering what the beatsonic adapter does aside from attenuating the signal coming from the head unit so you don't overdrive the factory amp. If that's the case I already have something that does exactly that. I needed to use it on my BMW to interface with it's factory amp.

I also don't see any reason for the subwoofer not to work. Unless SE1 is actually the sub output, in that case, which is the fader?

There's only 2 reasons why I'm trying to get away from using the Beatsonic adapter. Firstly, I plan on changing the subwoofer anyway and driving it with a separate amp (so I can control it from the head unit), and secondly I don't like the fact that the fader wont work since I like to have the speakers faded forward to create a proper sound-stage. If that means replacing the factory amp entirely and driving the factory speakers with an aftermarket 4 channel amp, I very well may do that.

Last edited by anarchyx34; 07-09-11 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-09-11, 08:04 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The only thing I see that's a little funky is that the fader appears to be controlled by one wire (SE1), which is probably why the beatsonic adapter says that the fader will no longer work.
I think it was "Bob" at Car Stereo Repair in Florida who told me a few years ago that the architectures of the Pioneer and Nakamichi systems of the 98-00 LS400 are very different - specifically that some functions in the head unit of one system are in the amplifier in the other system. For example, I learned this first hand in 2003 when installing an aftermarket phone system -- the telephone mute (TLMT) function is in the Nakamichi head unit but in the Pioneer amplifier. And when the right channel audio of my Nak went out a few years ago and people on Lexus forums assured me that the amp was bad - nope, the problem was in the head unit.

Nakamichi systems seem to be common in the 98-00 LS400. I've seen a lot of 98-00 LS400's since I first test drove a new one in 1997 and probably at least a third have had Nakamichi. I'm surprised that Metra or another company hasn't come out with adapter harnesses for Nak equipped cars since they were so common but maybe it wasn't practical due to the Nak architecture. Does anyone know why for certain?
Old 07-09-11, 10:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the headunit and amp work together with a data connection, ie- they TALK to eachother. this is what causes problems when trying to run an aftermarket headunit.
Old 07-11-11, 06:15 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Well I already pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to need to run separate amps for everything. That's okay. I'm sure a cheap $90 4 channel amp would drive the stock speakers just as well as the factory amp (if not better). That only brings me to one other issue that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread. The antenna. I haven't seen any solid info here on how the 98+ antenna works. From what I'm gathering, it terminates in the trunk at the amplifier. What kind of trickery is it going to take to get that to work?
Old 07-11-11, 10:04 PM
rishi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i wish there was a harness for the nak stereo set up.... would love to run a 930BT pioneer head unit... still thinking about it though, what would i need to do? put all new speakers and and amp for the speakers and sub??

gosh, i would hate running wires throughout this whole car for speakers... (can't stand rattles..)
Old 07-12-11, 04:51 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Well you probably could keep all the stock speakers. It's just a matter of running separate amps for the speakers and sub. You probably could get away with running the speakers off the head unit. I might end up going the same route instead of running a separate 4-channel amp. As far as wiring? If you're creative you wont have to run any wiring. You already have wires going from the head unit to the factory amp, many of which wont be in use anymore after you change the head unit. You can just use those as speaker wires and bridge the connections at the factory amp's location. Granted I just got my LS less than a week ago, but I have a feeling I may be onto something.

BTW, can anyone confirm a few things for me?

-Location of the factory amp? I don't feel like tearing apart things just to find it.

-Does the antenna plug into the back of the factory head unit? Or does it terminate at the factory amp as per Beatsonic's info?

Last edited by anarchyx34; 07-12-11 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 07:34 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

-Location of the factory amp? I don't feel like tearing apart things just to find it.

-Does the antenna plug into the back of the factory head unit? Or does it terminate at the factory amp as per Beatsonic's info?
The amp is under the front passenger seat. Regardless of the instructions you see, I assure you that it easily removed and reinstalled without removing the passenger seat.

The antenna plugs into the back of the head unit. Spend five minutes to pull out the head unit and take a look. It's pretty easy.
Old 05-13-15, 07:38 AM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 LS400 Nakamichi stereo

I am replacing my Nakamichi stereo with pioneer AVEC 8100 double din unit but I noticed that there are two antenna jacks on the Nakamichi stereo but on the pioneer unit there is only space to insert one jack. Does anyone know which jack I need to insert and why are there two antenna jacks on the Nakamichi stereo?
Old 05-13-15, 12:35 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

IIRC, one is for the back glass and the other for the motorized antenna, if you have one.

You can find a Y adapter at Radio Shack, I believe.
Old 05-15-15, 11:11 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jumerle
I am replacing my Nakamichi stereo with pioneer AVEC 8100 double din unit but I noticed that there are two antenna jacks on the Nakamichi stereo but on the pioneer unit there is only space to insert one jack. Does anyone know which jack I need to insert and why are there two antenna jacks on the Nakamichi stereo?
Just plug the bigger connector into the AVEC'S antenna port and ignore the small connector. That worked fine on the double DIN Kenwood that replaced the Nak in the 2000 LS400 I sold last year.
Old 02-11-16, 07:24 AM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumerle
Daspyda and Kansas, thank you very much for replying to my questions.

So I now have a double-din unit installed. The navigation is not the best but with Android Auto I get to use Google Map from my phone so I can now just tap the Google icon on the screen and say: " OK google find me direction to the nearest college."
The AVEC 8100 unit also reads all my incoming messages and I just have to tap the google icon and say: "reply" followed by my message. No more texting and driving. I kept my Nakamichi amplifier but I must say the quality of the sound from the AVEC 8100 is not better than the quality I had with the factory unit.
While in traffic jam or waiting for someone I can just sit and watch movie. It's amazing that the unit sounds better when watching a movie, the surround sound will blow your mind. The subwoofer sounds like the bass you would hear when watching the movie jaws. The unit also warns me whenever I exceed the speed limit, and the warning comes through my speakers . I can just say: " call Kim's mobile" and it dials the number and I can hold a conversation without taking my hand off the steering wheel to accept a call or make a call. The reverse camera is also a kool feature. No longer would I have to worry about how close I am to any object behind me because the beeping sound gets louder the closer I get to the object. It could wake up a sleeping giant.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions on this forum.

Quick Reply: Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay $23.99 dash kit... X930BT?)