LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Near blowout ruins Fuel pump relay and wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 10:18 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo1246
would you know what the wire is called?

wire ? or wire harness?

to get the exact wire harness you need, you need to understand everything in the wire bundle. the wire bundle is that whole entire wiring system that you have,and can see. some of the wires should go to a junction block somewhere in the car. the junction block will be a plastic thing with a bunch of pigtail plug-ins.

so, if only your fuel pump wire harness needs replaced, ask for exactly that. the fuel pump wiring harness. this wire harness should include everything from the fuel pump all the way to the junction block, and everything included in that wiring system.

and yes, when you go to the junk yard, you will have to cut the BLACK tape from the bundle to get just the required harness you need. it will be the same BLACK tape on your car's bundle.

you could get the whole wire bundle, again, every wire inside that bundle that has BLACK TAPE around it. this would include the airbag system.
be carefull removing it, do not just rip and tear, and pay attention to how it is removed, so its easier to re-install on your vehicle.

and while you are pulling the wire bundle from the junkyard car, you will notice that the separate wiring harness will be separated by BLACK tape. dont cut the BLACK tape. it all went in as one piece, it will come out in one piece..

so, just to be perfectly clear, the wire bundle in your wheel well that has all the BLACK tape around it, is what your after. everything you need is there including the airbag wire loom. follow that bundle and unplug everything it goes to. make sure you keep the rubber grommets that plug the holes the wiring harness run through the car. and dont yank on anything, just give a slight tug and watch for moving wires and look for the hang up.

its not as confusing as it sounds,its not,i promise.

and grab the airbag shock sensor while your at it..
Old 07-02-11, 10:22 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Mine happened 1st week of June doing 80. What make of tire and how old? Mine was Bridgestone and it was covered under Bridgestone's tread separation warranty less wear.
Holy S***! That's the set I have on my car! Never knew a $1200 set of rubber would have issues like this.
Old 07-02-11, 10:48 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Holy S***! That's the set I have on my car! Never knew a $1200 set of rubber would have issues like this.

proper maintenance is required on all vehicles.. tire condition and air pressure are as vital as oil level and or preeaure.

a lot of people take so many things for granted when it comes to their cars. all the stupid little dash lights are there for a reason. though the systems of today are far more complex than they were back in the early 90's, its all there for a reason.

like people with maintanance due lights on, want to reset the light but no oil change, and xome back with an engine tick or knock though they just went 6k miles on regular oil.

and people who have 5/20 oil cars give the ok to put 10/30 oil in their cars...no-no. causes engine knock and voids warranties.

heck, the toyota prius can detect the oil cap missing !

dont take anything for granted. these cars are designed and engineered the way they are for a reason.
Old 07-03-11, 09:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by emarknot
he doesnt have that shield
He's going to the junkyard to get an airbag and other things so I would hope he has the common sense to spend the extra $2 to get the splash shield b/c if he had one in the first place this never would have happened.
ramo1246; The only part of the airbag harness you need goes from the front (in the wheelwell) to the airbag computor, which is located under the center console.
I'm not sure what you, or your friend, is going to do with all this wiring but I'll tell you what I would do. I wouldn't get the whole harness all the way back to the fuel pump, and all the other 50 wires that are in that harness that branch off into another 10 different harnesses, I would save alot of time and labor by just repairing the wires that are in the wheelwell and whatever was pulled from the engine bay, like the fuel pump relay. Just think, if you change the harness you need to pull all the wires out of 2 cars. That involves all the trim, seats, and the carpet maybe. It seems like your friend can, and has, connected wires before so you're all set in that area. About the tape, for the last time, it doesn't matter what color. It's not like it's some proffesional job out of the factory, it's a repair job. So if anyone needs to work on it in the future they're not gonna think "well it's this color so it must be this voltage of this phase" If you buy some tape of course you're gonna buy black but if you have any other color laying around, use it. Why spend more money? If ya want any more of my advice I'll be glad to give ya some but PM me, b/c I'm done posting in this thread. Good luck fixing it, repairing it isn't hard, especially now that you have someone who has done wiring before. I hope you and your friend can get it figured out.
Old 07-05-11, 02:50 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

would you guys know what the wire is called?