LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 ls400 radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 02:09 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I got lucky , when I changed the music in my other ls I never threw out my stock amp an radio , switched the radio cuz the display was messed up , pluged in the amp an wow..music to my ears..lol now just wish I could find the wire for my stock sub..
Old 06-21-11, 09:47 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

im having a similar problem, every time i plug a 20A fuse in to the Radio No.1 it instantly fries the fuse. I don't have a stock amp but i do got my own sound system in my other car, would replacing the stock radio with a new one fix the short or would the phone still be the issue?
Old 05-21-12, 06:32 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I should have mentioned that it is also possible for a defective Lexus phone handset to force the radio into permanent mute mode since there is an another audio system mute pin in the connector that the handset cradle plugs into. It would be a good idea to unplug the handset cradle from this connector which is next to and under the vent you see when the front armrest is raised.

Disconnecting the handset cradle will require removing the console wood panel, the front cupholder and then the console box. I think the procedure for your 1997 LS is the same as for my 2000 LS so I will attach photos from when I did it on my 00 LS some years ago.

Also attached is a photo of the connector that the 95-97 LS400 phone handset plugs into. The yellow wire you see sort of plugged in the handset cradle connector is for an aftermarket Parrot Bluetooth phone kit that "Blake918" on lexusownersclub installed in his 95 LS. It a perfect place to connect a phone kit's mute wire so that it automatically mutes the audio system when a phone call is in progress.

You will also find an antenna coax connector near the handset cradle connector. It can be used to link the imprinted phone antenna on the rear window to an aftermarket phone charging cradle by connecting together the two phone antenna coax cables in the trunk.
I had the exact same issue on my '96 LS400, and all I did (after reading your comments) was disconnecting the cable that's held onto the module in the trunk by 2 screws, and as soon as I unpluged that "printer" looking cable the sound came back.
Thank you for the info.
much appreciated
Old 05-01-15, 08:13 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I assume your phone ECU is under the false floor on the right side of the trunk like in the 98-00 LS400 and looks similar. In the attached photo you can see the two sets of large white connectors I'm talking about.

Unplug all connectors leading to the phone ECU and plug two large white ones (that are part of the phone harness of the car) together. You might as well remove and toss the phone ECU -- it's analog and worthless.

On cars without a dealer installed Lexus phone, the unused phone connectors are attached to a white plastic bracket at the bottom of the plastic receptacle that the tool kit slides into.
not sure if I can even bump this, but had this happen to me. radio was dead for a couple of days. thought it was my radio since it was started to static a bit, then it just died. found this thread and bypass the phone ECU, now my radio sound works!

VERY HELPFUL! thanks

EDIT : don't plug the phone ecu connectors together. (two big white connecters) at first I plugged them together and my AC fan speed would stay on LOW. then I unplugged it and my radio still worked and I was able to control the fan speed

Last edited by k7q; 05-09-15 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 07:16 PM
pohlmanj
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation of Alpine sound system.

I installed an Alpine sound system in my 95 LS400 complete wit CD changer, capacitor and 500 watt subwoofer amp. When I drive with everything on battery doesn't have enough in it to start the car after 10 miles. I replace the alternator with a rebuilt of the same ampere of 80A. Had the syatem check everything's fine. I had a 91 LS400 with system in before getting this car and I had no problems but it had a 100 amp alternator with less electronics. I want to put a higher amp alternator in but I seeing a 120 amp fuseable link in the system with the battery lead of the alternator. I want to install alternator with at 160 amps output. Any thoughts?