LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

spark plug/wire nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 11:37 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug/wire nightmare

took my 96 LS400 to a local shop, (wifes friend) to simply take the old plugs out put new ones in. after the new plugs were in, the car wouldnt idle right or run right, lack of power, shaking, RPM jumping up and down. the mechanic said "you got a bad plug wire". uh ok, it was fine before, anyhow, 65 dollars later new plug wires installed, same problem, he says one of the new plug wires is bad, wont idle right, shaking like crazy. he seems to think it is a vaccum hose that is sucking air, he has one final chance tomorrow to fix my baby before it goes to the dealership, i dont care how much it cost i want it fixed. please help with your opinions guys.
UPDATE<><> so the guy was saying it was a vaccum hose, today he calls and says BOTH of the distributor caps were cracked, they were both fine before he got it,and new ones were needed, so the new ones were installed, and the guy actually says one of the new caps was bad, gotta replace it tomorrow. FOR REAL??? I called toyota and they refused to service it, but insisted it was a vaccum leak, Im frantically searching for a good auto shop to have it TOWED because it wont even start now. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A DREAM!!!!!!

Last edited by ccorogers; 06-06-11 at 10:00 PM. Reason: updated
Old 06-06-11, 12:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

find a mechanic that isn't clinically retarded and/or a thief...

if it worked fine before he touched it, odds are something he touched is off now...
Old 06-06-11, 05:26 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, its a certain its his work that caused your problem. perhaps misfiring got wires crossed or pinched one when putting covers back on. Go thru it again.
Old 06-06-11, 06:10 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

some people just shouldnt be working on cars
Old 06-06-11, 06:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by python
some people just shouldnt be working on cars
VERY TRUE. I think this so called "mechanic" crossed the wires when putting the first set back on. Then, when you got the new wires, he put them on the same way the old wires came off which means they're still crossed from the first time he reinstalled them. The problem is deffinately something that he did. Don't bring your car back to him again.
Old 06-06-11, 11:35 AM
Topher60
Driver School Candidate

Do yourself a favor and order the OEM wire harness for the Ignition wires to the plugs. They’re numbered (assembled) and ready to install. I'm dealing with a similar problem now. I got the wires crossed when I used a brand that came unassembled. I paid $130.00 and free shipping from Stevinson Lexus 303-772-5999. Ask for Audra Hames.
Part# 90919-22262 =1990 LS400

Last edited by Topher60; 06-06-11 at 11:38 AM. Reason: 96 LS400 might have a different part#
Old 06-07-11, 04:21 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

if u have one of those hand held diagnostic machines plug up to car. it will tell u exactly which bank is misfiring...if u crank car and put ur hand by ur tailpipe and u feel it sputtering, its either a plug or wire misfiring...while doin my tune up, i had to send back ONE spark plug 3 times becuz it was defective. GO OEM PLUGS AND WIRE, NGK laser iridium spark plugs. i paid like 8 bucks a piece...i put some other ones and they misfired evrytime.
Old 06-07-11, 08:07 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

oem wires are well worth the price
Old 06-07-11, 07:28 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Check and double check the right cables are on the right plugs (in the right order).
2. Pull of each one, one by one, and see if there is any detrimental affect in the running of the engine. If no effect, that wire or plug is not working.
Old 06-07-11, 08:31 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man this so called "mechanic" is just sucking your wallet dry! hate dirty people like this one.
Old 06-09-11, 10:00 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

Angry Ford sparkplugs in my ls400!!!!

title says it all, this is an update from sparkplug nightmare, he put ford plugs in my car and then it ran bad of course, the blamed it on plug wires, the distributor caps, the i got tired of his being a stooge and had the 96 LS400 towed to a shop specializing in foreign rides, the new mechanic is a drema compared to the other dipwad. the new mechanic say the ford plugs did something but is still searching. he says it getting good spark with the new ngk plugs, getting fire and fuel pressure. the car will start asnd run about three seconds then dies. he is saying the computer is shutting the fuel off, and that the cars computer isnt allowing him to communicate with his shop computer. i feel much better its in better hands but at 100 bucks an hour im nervous it did some major damage. any ideas?
Old 06-10-11, 04:39 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an experienced mechanic your guy should be able to determine if the problem is fuel or spark related.With it running for a few seconds I would say fuel.
Has he tried some ether or propane down the intake to see if it runs on that?
The wrong type of plugs can cause all sorts of problems including damage to the ECU and if the OBDII code reader isn't communicating there may well be a problem with the ECU.
Another thing is have the cylinder compressions been checked?If your Ford plugs were a longer reach they may have contacted the pistons and damaged them! Have a look at the nose/electrode of the old plugs for contact damage.
Old 06-10-11, 09:42 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Like steve said, it might have screwed up them pistons. Is he still gonna be your wifes freind? Sounds like you might have grounds for a lawsuit, depending on how much money you lose. If you do, make sure you keep all paperwork and take any kind of pics of anything damaged so you have documentation. It really bugs me that some people call themselves "mechanics" and they can't even read a number on a spark plug. Hope the new guy can figure out the problem that the old guy caused.

Last edited by deanshark; 06-12-11 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 07:10 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html

Look at this before going to dealer. That mechanic is a crook. Wife's friend? Incompetent at least, crook at worst.
Old 06-12-11, 03:25 AM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

Default sparkplug nightmare update. help please.

took my 96 Lexus LS400 has 184k on it to a local shop, (wifes friend) to simply take the old plugs out put new ones in. after the new plugs were in, the car wouldnt idle right or run right, lack of power, shaking, RPM jumping up and down. the mechanic said "you got a bad plug wire". uh ok, it was fine before, anyhow, 65 dollars later new plug wires installed, same problem, he says one of the NEW plug wires is bad, wont idle right, shaking like crazy. he seems to think it is a vaccum hose that is sucking air, he has one final chance tomorrow to fix my baby before it goes to the dealership, i dont care how much it cost i want it fixed. please help with your opinions guys.
UPDATE<><> so the guy was saying it was a vaccum hose, today he calls and says BOTH of the distributor caps were cracked, they were both fine before he got it,and new ones were needed, so the new ones were installed, and the guy actually says one of the NEW caps was bad, gotta replace it tomorrow. FOR REAL??? I called toyota and they refused to service it, but insisted it was a vaccum leak, Im frantically searching for a good auto shop to have it TOWED because it wont even start now.CAR WAS TOWED to a shop specializing in foreign cars. according to the new shop the first so called mechanic, he put ford plugs in my car and then it ran bad of course, then blamed it on plug wires, then distributor caps, the new mechanic is a great compared to the other dipwad. the new mechanic say the ford plugs did something but is still searching. he says it getting good spark with the new ngk plugs, getting fire and fuel pressure. the car will start and run about three seconds then dies. he is saying the computer is shutting the fuel off, and that the cars computer isnt allowing him to communicate with his shop computer. i feel much better its in better hands but at 100 bucks an hour im nervous it did some major damage. the mechanic at the new shop specializes in foreign rides, he finally got his shop computer to connect and my car computer is showing no codes, meaning no issues, it starts for only a second and dies. he has looked for three days and hasnt found any problem. has me wondering could it be a fuse? or resetting the computer on the car? im put 230 dollars so far and wondering myself what the issue is. thanks for any opinions. the new shop normally charges 100 bucks an hour labor but isnt charging me that, guess cause they dont know what the first guy did. please provide any GOOD ideas.

Quick Reply: spark plug/wire nightmare