LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Keyless Entry, very happy now

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 05:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking Keyless Entry, very happy now

Well, after a month of putting up with the honking alarm(or walking to the passenger side), i finally ponied up the $$$ to deal with the problem once and for all. After being quoted over $500 by a Lexus Dealer to replace the door locks(The alarm would go off if I used the key to unlock the driver side door), I went to Best Buy and had the Viper Keyless Entry(no alarm) system installed. I paid $139 + tax, and had they actually honored their free installation promise(the last time i bought from them, they jerked me around). I've been pretty happy so far. The range isn't quite what I was expecting(maybe 15-20 feet, and you better not have anything in between you and the car). I like the auto trunk opener(although having to hold the button for 5 seconds sucks). Sometimes though the lights don't flash when you lock it. Don't really know why. I also don't like how the doors lock automatically after starting the engine. Fortunately I don't get out of the car while it's running that often, but i could see this being a huge problem in the future. I can understand an auto-lock that kicks in above a certain speed, but one that locks within 2 seconds of the engine starting is absolutely stupid.

But the long and short of it, those are very minor problems and I am really glad I did this. It is much more convenient and I'm not afraid to leave my house at night and wake up my neighbors(who already seem to dislike me because of the Firebird I used to drive.....). I would definitely recommend this mod for somebody who needs remote entry. I would NOT recommend it for somebody who is in the habit of parking somewhere and leaving it running for a few minutes. You will probably be locked out.
Old 06-05-11, 08:13 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the same system on my 92. Your right about the range. My doors don't lock didn't know it was a option on that system. My lights flash and horn honks if you hit it twice to lock it. It ties into the factory system so the red light will flash after a few secs. If you lock it and leave the window down and you open the door from inside it will start honking like the original.

Sure does beat the dealership way.
Old 06-05-11, 08:18 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no factory alarm key so I got a nice viper one with 1mile remote start n lots of other stuff
Old 06-05-11, 09:35 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont hate on the auto door lock. its a very wonderful feature. especially if you live where random car jackings are in order.
alot of newer cars have this as a factory option. it may be somewhat annoying, but its there for a reason. though the likely hood of a car jacking is fairly unlikely now-a-days, they do still happen.

but, just make sure that if you ever take it to a repair shop, that you let them know.

whenever I pul a car in...i roll down the driver window,put it in park and shut the car off.
some other people leave the car in neutral and turned off, but the windows are all up.

dont hate the auto lock.
Old 06-11-11, 04:58 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default think about that

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Well, after a month of putting up with the honking alarm(or walking to the passenger side), i finally ponied up the $$$ to deal with the problem once and for all. After being quoted over $500 by a Lexus Dealer to replace the door locks(The alarm would go off if I used the key to unlock the driver side door), I went to Best Buy and had the Viper Keyless Entry(no alarm) system installed. I paid $139 + tax, and had they actually honored their free installation promise(the last time i bought from them, they jerked me around). I've been pretty happy so far. The range isn't quite what I was expecting(maybe 15-20 feet, and you better not have anything in between you and the car). I like the auto trunk opener(although having to hold the button for 5 seconds sucks). Sometimes though the lights don't flash when you lock it. Don't really know why. I also don't like how the doors lock automatically after starting the engine. Fortunately I don't get out of the car while it's running that often, but i could see this being a huge problem in the future. I can understand an auto-lock that kicks in above a certain speed, but one that locks within 2 seconds of the engine starting is absolutely stupid.

But the long and short of it, those are very minor problems and I am really glad I did this. It is much more convenient and I'm not afraid to leave my house at night and wake up my neighbors(who already seem to dislike me because of the Firebird I used to drive.....). I would definitely recommend this mod for somebody who needs remote entry. I would NOT recommend it for somebody who is in the habit of parking somewhere and leaving it running for a few minutes. You will probably be locked out.
What year is your car? I have 94 I'm thinking bout getting that. I heard it lock if kept running for a while, if so ill keep a spare key in my wallet.
Old 06-13-11, 07:23 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine is a 92. I highly recommend it if you lost the factory remote. I got because the remote was lost AND the lock cylinder had issues. It would set off the alarm if you stuck the key in. Lexus dealer quoted me $300+ for a new remote/key, and $500+ to fix the door lock. Best Buy had the Viper for $139 +tax. That included free installation. Great service. Totally redeemed themselves from their dealings with me in the past. It has lock/unlock features(parking lights flash, if you push lock twice, the horn will chirp). Has panic button(you have to hold it for a couple of seconds), and an auxiliary button. They can hook that aux button up to a variety of different functions. That will generally cost you extra $$$$ depending on hardware/wiring that your car needs. I told them not to hook anything up because I didn't want to spend any $$$$. He hooked up my trunk and charged me nothing. It's nice to have the trunk opener.
Also, found out why sometimes the lights don't flash. If you leave the headlights in the on position, the lights won't flash when you lock/unlock the car.