LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brakes are squeaking 2 months after I changed my pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 12:18 PM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellaclean
I changed all four of my pads about 2 months ago and recently they started squeaking. I took them to a shop to get them looked at but they could not find anything. Basically they squeak when I first brake but if I let go and brake again the squeak goes away. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I drive a 93 ls400 btw..
Did you turn the rotors? If not, thats your problem. If you did its brake dust. Did you use semi metallic or ceramic pads? That can make a difference too.

If the rotors were turned, pull the pads out and lightly sand them and sand the rotors too. the noise should go away.
Old 06-05-11, 04:40 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave it! Squeaky brakes are a magnificent safety feature on a Lexus, which is otherwise a very quiet machine. Parents can hear you coming in a parking lot from hundreds of feet away.
Old 06-20-11, 11:15 PM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I got the brakes done again by resurfacing the rotors and getting new brake pads and the squeak got worse so now I am replacing the pads and rotors and I'm sure everything will be fine after that.
Old 06-21-11, 12:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what pads did you get...and they had all the shim hardware in the calipers, right...?
Old 06-21-11, 06:03 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you are doing it the hard way, use disc brake quiet on your pads.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-11, 09:45 AM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what pads did you get...and they had all the shim hardware in the calipers, right...?
The first time the shop ordered some ceramic pads. Not sure what brand and it had everything included. This time I just ordered some hawk hp pads.
Old 06-21-11, 09:45 AM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
you are doing it the hard way, use disc brake quiet on your pads.
Does that really work? I don't know what that is but I guess it doesn't hurt to look into it.
Old 06-21-11, 11:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'm talking about the anti squeak/rattle hardware that comes with the CALIPERS and not the single pad attached permanently to the backing plate of the pad.
Old 06-21-11, 11:53 AM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure if that is there but im sure it is or the shop would have told me
Old 06-21-11, 04:37 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hellaclean
Does that really work? I don't know what that is but I guess it doesn't hurt to look into it.
YES!! paint it on let it dry and install the pads... no squeeling.
just follow the instructions.

BG Stop Squeal works better but is hard to find
Most brake noise is caused by vibrations that occur when pressure is applied. BG Stop Squeal works on the simple principle of impregnating the brake pad with ingredients that reduce sticking between the pad and rotor. When pressure is applied, the vibrations are significantly reduced, thus brake noise is stopped or is markedly less noticeable.

Last edited by billydpowe; 06-21-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:19 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the CRC anti brake squeal. I never put brakes together without it and I never have any squeal. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with the type of pads or condition of your rotors. The squeal is caused by high frequency vibrations and will be controlled with the "anti squeal". It will also help to grease the "ears" on the pads with a light coat of brake grease and ideally, the posts that allow one half of the caliper to "float" should be cleaned and greased to prevent binding. All mounting bolts get a generous coat of anti-seize.

I am also a firm believer in organic pads. They resist squeal better than the others, don't destroy rotors as quickly, and have better feel. They also are usually the cheapest option although there are some high end organic pads available. They put a bit more dust on your wheels and they wear out a bit quicker but your rotors will last dramatically longer. I buy the cheapest ones I can find, run them for many thousand miles, then just pop in a new set and go again without having to turn or replace the rotors.

Don't forget that with new brakes installed (and hopefully fresh fluid), you want to make sure that the fluid level in your reservoir is right at the max mark. The minimum mark is your gauge for the wear on your brake pads. When you are beginning to approach the minimum mark, pop in a new set of pads and the fluid will return to the max line. If you get your oil changed at a shop, make sure to tell them NOT to top off your brake fluid.

I doubt if very many shops go to the trouble to use anti squeal when you get a "storebought" brake job.
Old 11-14-15, 07:22 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My 99LS front breaks sqeak with new rotors and new OEM pads, maybe a didn't use enough Disk Break Quiet, I am going to take it apart and and use moreof that Disk Break Quiet on shims.
They didn't squeak right after I changed rotors and pads, started a few months later, that makes me think not enough of the Quiet stuff.

Val
Old 11-14-15, 08:20 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

valex : BG Stop Squeal advantage:

YES!! paint it on the FACE and let it dry and install the pads... no squeeling.

Most brake noise is caused by vibrations that occur when pressure is applied. BG Stop Squeal works on the simple principle of impregnating the brake pad with ingredients that reduce sticking between the pad and rotor. When pressure is applied, the vibrations are significantly reduced, thus brake noise is stopped or is markedly less noticeable.
I used this in my shop for MANY years, never had a comeback... for squealing brakes
Attached Thumbnails Brakes are squeaking 2 months after I changed my pads?-t2ec16rhjf8e9nnc7qusbqgcwizyt-60_35.jpg   Brakes are squeaking 2 months after I changed my pads?-2-bottles-of-bg-products-stop-squeal.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 11-14-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 03:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Really on the face? Most stuff I have used is on the backing pad towards the caliper or piston.
Old 11-14-15, 09:19 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
valex : BG Stop Squeal advantage:

YES!! paint it on the FACE and let it dry and install the pads... no squeeling.

I used this in my shop for MANY years, never had a comeback... for squealing brakes
Thank you, Billy, I just ordered that stuff!

Val

Quick Reply: Brakes are squeaking 2 months after I changed my pads?