LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So im gonna replace the Mechanical Engine Fan with an Electric Fan. 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 03:04 PM
bagyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So im gonna replace the Mechanical Engine Fan with an Electric Fan. 1 question

Thanks to you kind people here in CL, i've found out that that Big Fan MACK Truck Noise in my hood was a broke Fan clutch. So now i will be attempting to do the electric fan conversion because it seems easy enough to do, cheaper than buying and OEM fan clutch and will free up some HP on my 92 LS400 barge. LoL

So since i'm going to just tap the positive fan wire to the ignition wire under the fuse box as stated in the tutorial section on LexLS.com; My question is will the fan come on automatically and turn itself off as needed depending on my engine temperature??????? i really want to do this mod already because i hate the noise, but i want to make sure that it will work before i commute to work or drive it somewhere far and end up overheating somewhere. Thanks in advance CL people
Old 01-17-11, 09:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

before you do the fan clutch, did you try to refill the clutch with the silicone fluid it needs to work?
Old 01-18-11, 04:49 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
before you do the fan clutch, did you try to refill the clutch with the silicone fluid it needs to work?
most people don't have the knowledge, skills or abilities to do that.
Old 01-18-11, 10:37 AM
bagyo
Driver

Yeah i'm familiar with doing regular maintenance and some intermediate mechanic work but i only fix things as they go bad so this would be my first experience with a broken fan clutch. i really just want to do the conversion but i guess i can give filling the fan clutch with silicone fluid a try if it's easy enough, but if its more involved than slapping on an electric fan than i think i'd rather do the swap. Help someone! i just want to know, will the electric fan conversion come on automatically and turn itself off as needed depending on my engine temperature?????? I'm so annoyed by the sound of my car right now! LoL it sounds like a cross between a semi-truck and a big airplane Hahaha
Old 01-18-11, 11:03 AM
Ursus
Rookie

If you add a temperature switch to the circuit it will. make sure it touches both the radiator and ac condenser. or you can add one with an adapter to the coolant hose.
Old 01-18-11, 05:11 PM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would highly recommend that you power the fan thru a high amp relay. The electric fans pull alot of amps. It may overheat the ignition wires if you tap directly into them.
Old 01-19-11, 09:32 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replace the fan clutch, problem solved.
Old 01-19-11, 11:13 PM
Sololock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yotarip
I would highly recommend that you power the fan thru a high amp relay. The electric fans pull alot of amps. It may overheat the ignition wires if you tap directly into them.
im pretty sure you can also wire it to the fan relays. does the same as if it was wired to a temp sensor.
Old 01-20-11, 10:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by sdls
most people don't have the knowledge, skills or abilities to do that.
i make the contention that if you can't replace or R&R the fan clutch, you dont have the knowledge, skills, or abilities to properly select, install, and wire (with a redundancy in case the temp switch fails) an aftermarket electric fan.
Old 01-20-11, 12:56 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How much HP can you really gain from switching clutch to electric? 2.5 - 3 HP maybe?
Old 01-20-11, 03:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

less imho.
Old 01-20-11, 07:32 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd recommend sticking with the clutch fan, I really see no upside to converting to an electric fan set up. They usually don't pull as much air (causing cooling problems), will wear out your alternator and battery quicker from all the juice they require, and cost more money. To get an electric fan that can pull what stock clutch fan can, you usually have to spend big bucks, the "Pep Boys" type generic fans won't cut it. In my experience, electric fans are also A LOT more noisy.

To get a quality electric fan that can pull as much as a clutch and with all the accessories, you looking at around $300. An aftermarket clutch for your fan is around $50, and it will also be much easier to install.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3389&ppt=C0331
Old 01-20-11, 10:14 PM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend getting another clutch fan. I just replaced mine for 20 bucks.
Old 01-21-11, 06:18 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
less imho.
probably .5 HP - 1.25 HP then. lol
Old 01-21-11, 12:20 PM
bagyo
Driver

LoL ok you guys convinced me. i guess i'll just be replacing the fan clutch then. Thanks for yur 2cents eerbody Who needs a Haynes when you got CL

Quick Reply: So im gonna replace the Mechanical Engine Fan with an Electric Fan. 1 question