LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No Blinkers, No Dash Lights, No break lights, Cant shift out of park!! Help Me Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 01:19 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Blinkers, No Dash Lights, No break lights, Cant shift out of park!! Help Me Please

I own a 1994 Ls 400. My car sat for 1 year while I was away. When I returned i had a cluster of issues with the car no break lights, no blinkers, no dash lights, and cannot shift out park. First thing i did was check the fuses in the hood and under steering wheel. They were all good. Next I replaced the Brake switch but still did not solve any of the issues. I also cannot get into the trunk or pop the gas tank because those are electrical and i don't have the key to the trunk. I don't know but is it possible that my anti theft is engaged and causing all these electrical problems. The car starts and is drivable and only can be shifted out of park when i trigger the overide shift lever. This is overwhelming anyone out there have any ideas? PLease Help!!!!
Old 05-20-11, 02:00 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you must have recharged the battery? Recheck the 120A fuse link in the engine compartment fuse box,it may look ok but check with a meter,its failure has caused the same symptoms before.
Old 05-20-11, 02:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check under dash, under hood, and under car wiring, sounds like something small and furry got into your wiring.
Old 05-20-11, 04:14 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Yes i actually purchased a brand new battery. Car starts and runs fine. I really really hope no mice snacked on my wires because then i wouldn't no where to even begin looking. Would you happen to know where the 120 A fuse is
Old 05-20-11, 05:48 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You say "My car sat for 1 year while I was away." Were you away serving your country, or serving time? Hopefully your country. Just kidding.
Anyway, I agree with both steve and PD, alot of people have been having problems with fuses that look good but when tested with a meter they're not. Also b/c it sat some little animal might have made a home. I was thinking about the wire harness in the trunk that causes alot of electrical problems. If you can somehow get the trunk open, check this out. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 05-20-11, 10:00 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope its not an animal issue, my right hand drive Subaru got attacked by mice when I was in Iraq for a year... A year and a half later I still haven't gotten it running again ><
Old 05-22-11, 12:07 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Man thats unfortunate. To recap this, i gathered that a check of my 120 A fuse, alternator, and a cluster of wiring in my trunk are all directions i should go to narrow this nightmare down. So That is what I'm gonna do. I'll post what I find out. If anyone else has any other ideas please share them. And to those who shared theirs your help is highly appreciated
Old 05-23-11, 01:24 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Default Dose anyone know where to locate the 120 A fuse?

Can anyone direct me?
Old 05-23-11, 01:44 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Default Dose anyone know where to locate the 120 A fuse?

Help! please!
Old 05-23-11, 01:52 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

also known as main relay or alternator fuse
Old 05-29-11, 09:59 AM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

Smile Im back

Ok so I got fed up of the head ache so I found a really good mechanic who specializes in electrical work. he quoted me a crazy low price. I took the car to him and a day later he found the coprates to my car issues. There was a short in the alternator wire and some fried fuse terminals. thank god
Old 05-29-11, 11:45 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TrAPsTaR87
Ok so I got fed up of the head ache so I found a really good mechanic who specializes in electrical work. he quoted me a crazy low price. I took the car to him and a day later he found the coprates to my car issues. There was a short in the alternator wire and some fried fuse terminals. thank god
Well, glad ya got it fixed. Some times ya just gotta suck it up and have someone else take a crack at it. That's what I do with electrical stuff. (I'm a dumb dumb when it comes to electrical work) If I can't find a short, or something else, within a day or two I just pay someone else to hunt it down. What did it cost ya and how long did he take to find it?
Old 05-29-11, 03:45 PM
joeblo
Driver School Candidate

I have an electric problem the lights,windows,dash,nothing works. The car not getting no electric power so it don't wanna start . Any anwsers
Old 05-29-11, 06:03 PM
TrAPsTaR87
Driver School Candidate

I took the car to him on tuesday around 5:00 pm and picked it up around 5:00 pm wednesday. I cashed him out $170.00 out the door.

Joeblo: i would suggest starting with your fuse boxes if you havn't yet theres 2, one under steering column and the other under the hood. If that's not your problem then check your relays make sure there all functioning properly if all your fuses and relays are good have your alternator checked if your alternator is good then i would say you have got yourself a short. Hopefully this troubleshooting helps. Good luck
Old 09-02-22, 11:57 AM
briibri512
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TrAPsTaR87
I’m having the same issue with my 2001 Rx300, which fuse was bad?? I’m getting so frustrated lol.

Quick Reply: No Blinkers, No Dash Lights, No break lights, Cant shift out of park!! Help Me Please