LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Charcoal canister question / power door lock actuator motor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 10:53 PM
LSproject
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal canister question / power door lock actuator motor.

Hi I have a few question for the lexus gurus, please shine me some light :P

As I was driving the other day my charcoal canister fell off (underneath the front bumper), SO I went on a cap off the line that goes into the canister as it was giving me some major vacuum leak. So is it SAFE and would it affect the mileage if I would keep the line capped off? Because there's a hole in my old canister.

Next question. My power door locks does not work for the passenger, and two rear passenger doors. Yet the switch works for the driver. I took off the panel and splice power into the wires to run the motor manually, and it would budge a little but will not completely lock. So does that mean that the motor is bad? If so is there anyway to purchase/rebuild the little motor in the actuator? As a USED actuator at the junk yard costs around $75.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-11, 09:34 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1993 LS400 and the driver's door wouldn't lock/unlock with the switch. This past weekend I ended up disassembling the entire door/removing the window/etc to get the latch assembly/door lock actuator out and tested it. While it worked, it wasn't strong enough. I ordered 2 motors from ebay and they should be in any day. There is quite a bit of discussion regarding this on the site, esp the Sticky post in the 2gs forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html

Short of it; search 280PT-22125 on ebay should bring up what you need, approx $8 each shipped.

I will say it was my first time taking a window/tracks and latch/actuator out and I didn't find it pleasant at all. I've figured out a way to get the track up/out of the way enough not to have to do a window removal again. I also figured out how to put the latch mechanism back together, that wasn't very pleasant either but at least when the motors arrive I can do it quicker than the first time lol.
Old 05-18-11, 01:19 PM
LSproject
Driver School Candidate

THanks for the post, that's definitely going to save me tons of money. Guess it's time to put in some elbow grease. I've dissembled doors on my 240sx before, it wasn't too hard but I'm not so sure with the lexus, bunch of sensors / electrical.
Old 05-18-11, 01:38 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an easy job but satisfying,the contact brushes on the motor wear out,make sure all the springs go back I left one out when I did mine and the door wouldn't latch on closing.

Last edited by steve2006; 05-18-11 at 01:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-18-11, 01:45 PM
LSproject
Driver School Candidate

So I went on ebay and saw alot of those motor for sale. None of them have that brass worm gear attachment to the end of the small shaft, where would i go about buying that small gear? Or do I have to remove that from the old ones?
Old 05-19-11, 08:21 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You take the worm gear off the old one and transfer it over, it shouldn't take too much effort to remove.