LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

apx struts on ebay any good only $135.00 for all 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 04:56 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apx struts on ebay any good only $135.00 for all 4

Are apx struts on ebay any good only $135.00 for all 4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-00...Q5fAccessories

or should i get gabriel struts for 40 bucks more?

KYB's are too expensive and i don't wan't/need coilovers!

any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-10-11, 05:03 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

never heard of them..why not get KYBs, their so much better.
Old 05-10-11, 05:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

both are crap.

kyb is the best OEM-like replacement.
Old 05-10-11, 07:54 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

I remember seeing KYB for less than $400 on eBay. I bought a set for my Odyssey and remembered seeing the Set fir the LS is the same price.
Old 05-10-11, 08:02 PM
chasiu
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, reread your post and your stated price us for all 4. Anyway, like others have said, i would assume that the APX are pretty crappy quality wise from a pricing stand point. Plus labour charge for the install, not worth the risk. Even if you install them yourself, it's a waste of time.
Old 05-10-11, 08:17 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

have nothing against ebay shopping, do quite a bit of it myself, but $135 for 4 shocks?? Couldn't get me to touch them for as long as I can throw them. Never heard of them. You can get KYB's for as little as $75 each from the local parts store (provided they stock them). $300 for a set of 4 is more in line with market replacement pricing, for a GOOD quality product.
Old 05-10-11, 09:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You normally get what you pay for. Considering an alignment will nail an additional $75 and the time to install them, getting some good struts is the better way to go. For the 95-00, the Bilsteins are very good if not excellent. They are roughly $135 each. Mine have about 90K miles on them and I've been pleased.
Old 05-10-11, 09:21 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

I'm not a fan of people telling me it doesn't work because of how they feel. Maybe a general rule applies and maybe it doesn't.

Be a brave soul and try it, this way you can knowingly advise someone w/ experience. If they are genuinely crap, then this will come in handy. Obviously at that price you felt it was a considerable bargain, and possibly worth a shot, so pull the trigger.

"LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. REQUIRES A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL PURCHASE RECEIPT. FAILURE TO PROVIDE YOUR RECEIPT WILL LIMIT YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE TO 24 MONTHS.

APX warrants that our products are free from defects in material and workmanship when in normal use and service of the vehicle on which it was installed."

Originally Posted by google link forums.bimmer forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1545098
"i called the company and heard great reviews....the lady i spoke with said these werent kybs but were built on that design but better....they are sensen (sp) constructed and apx has been around overseas since 1985, and they use them on their volvos, mercedes, bimmers, and jags.....she also stated that they are very comprable to the bilsteins but at a fraction of the cost, and they are cheap due to the demand overseas for them, so its nothing for the company to sell for cheap because they make their money..they have a limited lifetime warranty, and they perform better the oem.
soooooo, needless to say i just bought these, and i will let everyone know how they perform"

"its been 1600miles for me and i love my suspension....i have b&g lowering springs on my vert, and the shocks are a lil stiffer than stock, but i love the way it rides. I have no complaints, especially with the messed up roads here in nc"

"No complaints so far with the Sensen shocks or struts"

Previous CL Request
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-135-a.html

Last edited by JDMJNKY; 05-10-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 10:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

great, you ever realize how much return shipping for a set of shocks is?
Old 05-10-11, 10:38 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

He'll have to ask these questions before he buys. Wouldn't you? I ship full coilovers for $50 Wst-Est. Shocks alone I'd say $20-$30.00 if that.
Old 05-11-11, 12:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

last time i shipped a set of shocks alone cost me ~$40 USPS insured for $350. that was 2 years ago, before gas got expensive and before the carriers raised their rates.

regardless, spending even say $30 to return a product that only cost ~$140 is ridiculous, more so when you factor iin the time/hassle/labor involved with swapping the shocks out. on the LS, the entire back seat has to come out too...
Old 05-11-11, 04:33 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they're made by Sensen, I'm 99% sure that the shocks Arnott is using in their replacement struts are made by Sensen. If this is the case, in my personal experience I'd stay away from them!
Old 05-11-11, 10:01 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
last time i shipped a set of shocks alone cost me ~$40 USPS insured for $350. that was 2 years ago, before gas got expensive and before the carriers raised their rates.

regardless, spending even say $30 to return a product that only cost ~$140 is ridiculous, more so when you factor iin the time/hassle/labor involved with swapping the shocks out. on the LS, the entire back seat has to come out too...
Don't mean to be dismissive or argumentative.... despite how much the shock cost, warranty shipping & labor is just that regardless of the product price for ANY shock.

Once upon a time ppl. said F&F, D2, & K-sport Coilovers were junk too. Someone bought them and reported the pros and cons, known with any shock. End result suspension comfort is perceptive. So if it's feasible for the OP to buy these and run them into the ground for what they are worth then do so. If that's his plan of course. You'll gain plenty data from an experience. Then and only then with such experiences can we properly help one another, again, that's if he wants to buy them. I have no quarrels with proven quality brands, but I do not feel calling something junk is fair if you've never used the "junk".
Old 05-11-11, 04:23 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
I have no quarrels with proven quality brands, but I do not feel calling something junk is fair if you've never used the "junk".
As I stated in my post right above yours, the Arnott struts are also made by Sensen. I tried these and they only lasted a few months before making strange noises (clicking / creaking). From someone who's installed them, driven on them and then removed them due to failure / quality issues, THEY'RE JUNK!

The OP can roll the dice if he wishes and try to save some money, but from someone who's tried them, I'm back to OEM...

Here's a link to my experience with the struts...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tt-struts.html

Last edited by JimsGX; 05-11-11 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 05:36 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Arnott is not made by sensen but by seimens. Two different companies.

Quick Reply: apx struts on ebay any good only $135.00 for all 4