LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Show me your HID beam pattern

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 01:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Appreciate Xenon Depot being here to support us.
For purchase and support info there is PM and the vendor forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-save-big.html

Dubbayoo, when this is all wired up post some beam shots.
Old 05-31-12, 07:02 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What should you do to adjust the beams? Is there some standard method of parking x feet away from a wall and setting the beam n feet high or do people just eyeball it?
Old 05-31-12, 11:24 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

There are specific vehicle code limitations but largely for the masses, it will be an eyeball type of adjustment. With HID in a DOT housing system, you may need to aim lower to reduce glare for oncoming and cars in front of you.

This PDF is the basics:
http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf
Old 05-31-12, 11:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
What should you do to adjust the beams? Is there some standard method of parking x feet away from a wall and setting the beam n feet high or do people just eyeball it?
to me beam pattern is preference but the best way to adjust it is from about 20ft away from a wall, parked level, and adjust. i also check when driving behind another car to see if the beam isn't beyond or higher than the rear windshield (even at the edge it's already too high). of course it depends on what car is in front of you.

i find that i don't need to adjust the beam pattern from stock when the car is lowered (ride height), since the HID system does glare much more than the stock bulbs. the diffusing properties of the headlight lenses are meant to glare to light up road signs, and adding HIDs to them only increases this glare to oncoming traffic. this is the reason you are getting flashed with the HID bulbs. even at the stock setting, it's the glare that is bothering the opposing drivers. if you adjust them down you will remove the glare but will loose visibility on your end. this is just the nature of having diffused lenses.
The following users liked this post:
Dubbayoo (12-27-18)
Old 05-31-12, 05:41 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
to me beam pattern is preference but the best way to adjust it is from about 20ft away from a wall, parked level, and adjust. i also check when driving behind another car to see if the beam isn't beyond or higher than the rear windshield (even at the edge it's already too high). of course it depends on what car is in front of you.

i find that i don't need to adjust the beam pattern from stock when the car is lowered (ride height), since the HID system does glare much more than the stock bulbs. the diffusing properties of the headlight lenses are meant to glare to light up road signs, and adding HIDs to them only increases this glare to oncoming traffic. this is the reason you are getting flashed with the HID bulbs. even at the stock setting, it's the glare that is bothering the opposing drivers. if you adjust them down you will remove the glare but will loose visibility on your end. this is just the nature of having diffused lenses.
What about when you have EagleEyes. The HID conversion is most common on other cars that have clear lenses w/ reflectors in back of the housing.
Old 05-31-12, 06:44 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

You can put them in there. May have to still aim it down some to avoid blinding oncoming cars. Not as bad as it would be with original housing. I bought some cheapo HID when i got my eagle eyes and i could never get the fogs to work. I went thru every suggestion on this forum and no luck. I just chalked it up to cheap HID kit. Went back to Halogen.

Bought silverstar ultras work nice. I did have to chop off the 9004 sockets and put on H4 sockets for the eagle eyes.

HIDs work best in projectors for sure.
Old 06-01-12, 10:45 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by ocr
What about when you have EagleEyes. The HID conversion is most common on other cars that have clear lenses w/ reflectors in back of the housing.
i don't know much about eagleeyes but they should produce less glare as they have no diffusing front lenses.
Old 06-02-12, 02:16 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
here's what you seem to be not understanding.

your '92 LS originally came with 9004 bulbs for the headlights, later (93-94) LS' came stock with H4/9003 bulbs.

so if you want to run H4 eagle eyes on your car with HID you would need a hybrid HID kit, with ballast-side connectors for the 9004 plugs in your car, and H4/9003 bulbs. if you already bought a 9004 hid kit then all you need are some H4/9003 bulbs.
This is what I have done. What I have fits the car fine (it's already installed). I don't see any way for this to fit the Eagle Eye.

Here is the H4 bulb XD sent me. (I should note the receipt says 9007. I called back and was assured it's the same thing, even though the pictures of the 9007 & 9003 H4 look quite different).

Notice the connector has the two right angled plugs but the other connection side needs three smaller connectors all parallel to each other, almost in a line, like so.

How do these two sections come together? This is so frustrating I'm tempted to just leave the HIDs behind the stock headlights. I've even PM'ed people for clarification and gotten no response.
Old 06-02-12, 03:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

h4=/= 9007.

H4=9003.

call/PM steve aka XD, he'll get you sorted out.
Old 06-02-12, 05:56 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

websites are set up to sell MATCHED kits. you need to email/PM xenondepot to have them sell you the hybrid kit you need.
I called and was told that was not an option.
Old 06-03-12, 02:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I called and was told that was not an option.
did you miss this or?

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
It would not be a problem. You would need to order an H4 HID kit and request a 9004 harness. I can do that for you. Just send me a PM with your order number once it's placed and I will make sure it gets taken care of for you =)

Steve
Old 06-04-12, 01:01 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Dubbayoo: 9004 / 7 and H4 are completely different. Can you please provide me with your order number? I would like to give you a call to discuss. It may be easier to discuss over the phone as opposed to posting.

Steve
Old 06-12-12, 04:29 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

did you miss this or?
He said that on 5/22. My order was placed on 5/16, after I had called was told it couldn't be done.
Old 06-12-12, 10:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not sure who you spoke with but i would be more than happy to help you rectify. I'm personally finding all this back/forth confusing. Send me a PM With your phone number and I will give you a call so that we can sort this out =)

Steve
Old 06-18-12, 07:37 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

One call from Steve to the shop and my Eagle Eyes are installed. The difference between Eagle Eye/HIDs to stock lights/HIDs is significant. The difference between Eagle Eye/HIDs and all stock is nothing short of amazing. Anyone thinking about it should not hesitant....and unless you live in Bum***** Egypt you will not need the bright light option. It's oly $25 more but I can't imagine ever using it.

DEFINITELY go to XenonDepot.

Quick Reply: Show me your HID beam pattern