LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Im stumped!!!! Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 05:38 AM
Privateer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just bought a 94 LS4 with 185k on it. And I just went through this exact same issue. The rotors were 180* out. I had replaced everything you could. TB, WP, Cam seals, Crank seal, pullies, tensioners, etc. took me three tries to get the TB right, since the belt didn't come with proper marks on it. Started Monday, got it wrapped up Wednsday night... wouldn't start. The next morning I tore it down enough to change the Rotor orientation, runs like a champ now.

And for the record, there were no notches on the back of the rotors. That could be the brand however, B&M I purchased them at Orielly's.
Old 05-14-11, 05:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Privateer
I had just bought a 94 LS4 with 185k on it. And I just went through this exact same issue. The rotors were 180* out. I had replaced everything you could. TB, WP, Cam seals, Crank seal, pullies, tensioners, etc. took me three tries to get the TB right, since the belt didn't come with proper marks on it. Started Monday, got it wrapped up Wednsday night... wouldn't start. The next morning I tore it down enough to change the Rotor orientation, runs like a champ now.

And for the record, there were no notches on the back of the rotors. That could be the brand however, B&M I purchased them at Orielly's.
Every one I've seen had a notch, OEM and aftermarket. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...882381125____# It fits over the key for the camshaft pulley.
Old 05-14-11, 05:36 PM
paulwall86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen it is a sensor in front of the engine. I fogot which one but do the research. I hope this helps.
Old 05-16-11, 08:51 AM
Cashflo
Driver

Originally Posted by Privateer

Yeah mine had no notching, but again, I followed a write up on an earlier model UCF10, and the rotor orientation differs.
Old 05-16-11, 04:43 PM
Mach1speed
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear you got her running. Glad it wasn't anything serious. if you plan on keeping the car I would suggest getting a manual, only one Ive found is the lexus 2 part manual, it comes in handy and is well worth the money. the manual comes in handy for the big jobs
Old 05-23-11, 06:02 AM
moodylu
Driver School Candidate

Glad you got it started.

I know this might sound crazy, but I wanted to share my experience with other owners about my LS400 not starting.

What happened to me. My 1991 LS400 wouldn't start for the first time since it was new. I had it towed to the nearest car dealer, which happened to be a Saturn dealer. It was flooded. They siphoned out the extra gas and it started back up again.

A few weeks later, same problem. Car wouldn't start. This time, it was also a simple fix. The battery was dead. I can't remember now which way this happened ... whether it was the battery dead first or the car being flooded first.

But I figured out really happened ... I had been starting it twice first thing in the mornings so I wore down the battery. Then I flooded it when the battery went completely dead trying to start it.

Mea culpa, not the car!!!! So sometimes, it's just the little things. I tend to panic because the car is so old, that I forget to figure the easy things...

Last edited by moodylu; 05-23-11 at 06:08 AM. Reason: clarity