LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which is the better car
Mercedes S-Class
28.24%
Lexus LS430
71.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 12:47 AM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc

Let's not forget the LS430 is a lot faster than the S430, has more standard options than the S430 (including HIDs ), has more cabin and trunk space than the S430, has a quieter interior than the S430, a smoother tranny than the S430, is way more reliable than the S430*, and much more interior ammenities than the S430----all for LESS than the S430!

* check out S-class/MB reliability issues direct from the lion's mouth: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=15777

I would say you made a very wise choice HoleInOne
I bought a brand new LS430 which comes with a "rainy day syndrome", i.e., the computer module goes dead after driven in rainy condition for a couple of hours. I can bring it back by turning off engine and restarting it. Lexus Canada still refuses to deal with the problem other than changing the battery. I will have to go to the court to get this problem resolved. Watch out for your LS430.

Old 10-16-02, 12:48 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by LS430-Cda

I bought a brand new LS430 which comes with a "rainy day syndrome", i.e., the computer module goes dead after driven in rainy condition for a couple of hours. I can bring it back by turning off engine and restarting it. Lexus Canada still refuses to deal with the problem other than changing the battery. I will have to go to the court to get this problem resolved. Watch out for your LS430.

My dealer called me today, and said my LS430 is here; that's really troubling, considering how I'm taking delivery of the LS430 on Thursday!
Old 10-16-02, 02:52 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dads ls430 has never done that, even after a day of driving in rainy weather...
Old 10-16-02, 10:33 AM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by E55AMG

My dealer called me today, and said my LS430 is here; that's really troubling, considering how I'm taking delivery of the LS430 on Thursday!
Perhaps you should ask for a written guarantee that Lexus to refund it if similar problems developed. You may want to try it in a rainy day at highway speed for around 150 miles before taking delivery. Good luck.
Old 10-16-02, 10:50 AM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EGainer
my dads ls430 has never done that, even after a day of driving in rainy weather...
Hmm.... Maybe you are luckier. Did you try it at highway speed in a rather wet condition? Splash the engine compartment from underneath may do the trick.
Old 10-18-02, 03:34 AM
blitz
Pole Position

celsior is da japanize-mafia style~we all ride with vip styles~

...kekeke.

Last edited by blitz; 10-18-02 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 07:48 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jahummer
I must say that even after just 4 days with my new S430, I must I say that I find it much more refined than my LS400, from suspension and handling to braking and acceleration and tranny. Also find the interior much less generic and more posh.

We'll see how I feel after some time has passed.

Also note that I bought a fully loaded model.
You guys will find it very interesting that I have owned this S430 for 14 days now but have only driven it for 4 days as it has been at the dealer service for 10 days with no eta for repair completion

I hardly rember this car

Anyone have their Lexus out this long? (service only, not body work)
Old 01-23-03, 03:29 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Just posted this on MBforums for the heated debate!

Everyone talks about S-Class being roomier and bigger. If you look at the FACTS, you will see:

LS430 Front Headroom : 39.6
S-Class Front Headroom: 37.6

LS430 Front Legroom : 44.0
S-Class Front Legroom: 41.3

Yes, the length of the S-Class is longer, but the actual inside demensions of the Lexus are close if not bigger in most cases. Please do your homework before postiong messages that are not true.

And to be honest, I'll take the reliability of a Lexus anyday. I dunno about you guys, but there's not much prestige involved in being stranded at the side of a roadway in your unreliable S-Class while everything fro Corolla's to Kia's zip by you on the freeway!

Just look at Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers. For gosh sakes, J.D. Powers is sickened by the lack of reliability in the S and M classes. Consumer reports says that the S-Class predicted reliability based on the last 13 years of data for S-Class is :

....drum role please.....VERY POOR. Over 15% of drivers will experience MAJOR hardware failures and likely multiple minor problems.

I don;t make the statistics...I just do my homework and don't spend my hard-earned money to get other people to "look at me" in traffic.
Old 01-23-03, 03:37 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Also, just posted this on another one of their threads at MBForums. It's time these people get out of dreamworld and understand that they have been caught up to in every area in the last 10 years by the LS430. And by 2006, they will have even less of a leg to stand on. Here's my other post:

I was just driving home in my new LS430, thinking about the how both cars are a tribute to modern day technology, conveniences, and luxury. Both are great, each has it's distinct advantages. Another thing I can' understand is why Benz Owners even feel the need to compare "Toyota" to Mercedes. If Lexus is SO lowly, what's the point?

The line can be drawn like this:

LS430 - Price (Big time), Dealer Service, Reliability, Sound System, Performance, Smothness/Quietness. (And, IMHO, most user-friendly GPS)

S430 - Prestige and Presence, Handling/Sportiness, Styling, Resale Value.

I'm no idiot. I'm a 21-year old self-made millionaire. I did my homework. There is absolutely no LOGICAL reason to pay an extra $20k for a nameplate. It's insane! IMHO, driving an S-Class means that the person is trying to make a statement that "I've made it". Driving an LS430 says "I've made it, and I'm not going to squander it all on some three-pointed star".

The qualities the Benz has on it's side are a result of 114 years in the business. Since they are equals in many ways, let's level the playing field and give Lexus another 100 years to catch up. Then we'll have an accurate starting point.

Just my 2 cents.

drink300
Old 01-24-03, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I always have problems with the thought of getting a car just to get people's notice. They are admiring YOUR CAR, NOT YOU.

As for it being a status symbol, there are people that avoid buying Mercedes/BMW just for that reason, depending on how you look at it.

I think mercedes has the best exterior styling in general among all luxury brands right now. I almost always stop to admire a clean shiny new one when I see it. But I can never justify paying the premium price for one although I can easily afford any model, since they do not offer an acceptable level of quality and customer service for the prices they charge.

For now, I am happy just to admire and get a ride on other people's Mercedes.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-24-03 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 04:49 AM
momentum
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Just posted this on MBforums for the heated debate!

Originally posted by drink300
Everyone talks about S-Class being roomier and bigger. If you look at the FACTS, you will see:

LS430 Front Headroom : 39.6
S-Class Front Headroom: 37.6

LS430 Front Legroom : 44.0
S-Class Front Legroom: 41.3

Yes, the length of the S-Class is longer, but the actual inside demensions of the Lexus are close if not bigger in most cases. Please do your homework before postiong messages that are not true.

And to be honest, I'll take the reliability of a Lexus anyday. I dunno about you guys, but there's not much prestige involved in being stranded at the side of a roadway in your unreliable S-Class while everything fro Corolla's to Kia's zip by you on the freeway!

Just look at Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers. For gosh sakes, J.D. Powers is sickened by the lack of reliability in the S and M classes. Consumer reports says that the S-Class predicted reliability based on the last 13 years of data for S-Class is :

....drum role please.....VERY POOR. Over 15% of drivers will experience MAJOR hardware failures and likely multiple minor problems.

I don;t make the statistics...I just do my homework and don't spend my hard-earned money to get other people to "look at me" in traffic.
I checked out jd power's survey and they ranked the s class in the top 3 in thier premium sedan category.They don't sound sickened to me.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=2383
Old 01-29-03, 09:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The S class ranked in that J D Power report is for initial quality, that is build quality, not longer term reliability.

The S class is ranked poorly by Consumer Guide/Report, and Mercedes cars overall is ranked below average by J D Power among ALL brands, not just luxury brands. (Read all their different reports for different criteria)
Also check this out:
http://mbspy.com/mbquality.htm

That looks pretty pathetic for the premium price they are charging. It's just too bad, because I love the styling of their cars

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-29-03 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 03:18 PM
turnne1
Driver School Candidate

I am currently the owner of a 1992 S Class(140 chasis)...although I have had many problems(most covered under extended warranty at the time of breakdown a few years ago) I still love the car..I have two different LS 400's before I bought the last two cars and one thing the LS was sorely missing was passion..realiable yes..but about as fun to drive as using a a sewing machine...it still has a "loaded toyota" feel to it
As for picking as LS430 over a S430..I have not driven the LS430..but the S430 is a marvelous car...handling is remarkable and I love the teutonic german feel of the car...something the Lexus cars never had
I think a more fair comparison is to compare the LS430 to the new new E500..very close in price

..but then again if you look at a 10 year old LS400 and a 10 year old 400E..both cars were priced similiarly new but the Eis worth a substantial amount more on the used car market...
you ask why?....does that mean the used car consumer considers it worth more.... and/or ..does that mean the MB was a better investment to buy initially.....I would say yes to both

my .002
Attached Thumbnails MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430-1992-300sd.jpg  

Last edited by turnne1; 01-29-03 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 04:35 PM
momentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by turnne1
I am currently the owner of a 1992 S Class(140 chasis)...although I have had many problems(most covered under extended warranty at the time of breakdown a few years ago) I still love the car..I have two different LS 400's before I bought the last two cars and one thing the LS was sorely missing was passion..realiable yes..but about as fun to drive as using a a sewing machine...it still has a "loaded toyota" feel to it
As for picking as LS430 over a S430..I have not driven the LS430..but the S430 is a marvelous car...handling is remarkable and I love the teutonic german feel of the car...something the Lexus cars never had
I think a more fair comparison is to compare the LS430 to the new new E500..very close in price

..but then again if you look at a 10 year old LS400 and a 10 year old 400E..both cars were priced similiarly new but the Eis worth a substantial amount more on the used car market...
you ask why?....does that mean the used car comsumer considers it worth more. and/or ..does that mean the MB was a better investment to buy...I would say yes to both

my .002
Your sig looks familiar.:P
Old 01-29-03, 09:48 PM
momentum
Driver School Candidate

the s class now offers all wheel drive for added traction. Does lexus offer all wheel drive?

Quick Reply: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430