LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which is the better car
Mercedes S-Class
28.24%
Lexus LS430
71.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 09:11 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, I love to see that when it done. Take a lot of pics.
Old 10-02-02, 05:31 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If consider price, then my pick LS430
if not - S600.
Old 10-06-02, 03:18 PM
Justin_T.W.
Rookie

For me it is quite difficult to say I prefer the Benz/Lexus. I work at the DaimlerChrysler headquarter in Stuttgart-Möhringen, Germany and I have the possibility to drive the S-class. Well, this car seems to be perfect but some weeks ago I had the chance to drive with our neighbour`s LS430. Since then I can no longer say that MB is the best what you get on the market. I was really impressed by the Lexus - especially of the interior. If I had to choose between LS430 and S430 or S500 I would choose the LS but if there was any chance to get the S55 or S600.....well, Lexus wouldn`t have any chance. Then the S-class is in a class of its own.
Old 10-06-02, 06:45 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Justin_T.W.
For me it is quite difficult to say I prefer the Benz/Lexus. I work at the DaimlerChrysler headquarter in Stuttgart-Möhringen, Germany and I have the possibility to drive the S-class. Well, this car seems to be perfect but some weeks ago I had the chance to drive with our neighbour`s LS430. Since then I can no longer say that MB is the best what you get on the market. I was really impressed by the Lexus - especially of the interior. If I had to choose between LS430 and S430 or S500 I would choose the LS but if there was any chance to get the S55 or S600.....well, Lexus wouldn`t have any chance. Then the S-class is in a class of its own.
It's good, hearing that from someone at DaimlerChrysler.:eek:
Old 10-07-02, 11:52 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

I must say that even after just 4 days with my new S430, I must I say that I find it much more refined than my LS400, from suspension and handling to braking and acceleration and tranny. Also find the interior much less generic and more posh.

We'll see how I feel after some time has passed.

Also note that I bought a fully loaded model.
Old 10-08-02, 12:29 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I've driven a low-mileage 2000 S500 and something seemed off with the power steering. It feld and sounded like an old ford power steering pump at low speed turns

I also can't believe it took MB so long to put rack-and-pinion in their vehicles. Still, the body panels had a very tight fit and the overall styling is elegant. Now, I'll stop beating a dead horse.

Last edited by LexRX; 10-08-02 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-08-02, 05:02 AM
LexJunkie
Driver School Candidate

I hear that the new Chrysler Crossfire is going to have a MB engine in it, I wonder how long before MB starts putting Chrysler engines in their products??? When they do, then there won't by any competition between MB and Lexus
Old 10-11-02, 10:21 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Well, it will be interesting for you guys to note that my S430 has been in the shop for 2 days now to fix a few problems such as a window that goes up and down on its own, steering wheel goes up and down on its own, A/C problem, airmatic problem, etc.

I still find the S430 to be a superior drive than the Lexus products I have driven every one they made and owned a LS400 for a very long time) e.g. I never feel the Benz shift gears like I always found ALL of the Lexus products, quieter, smoother ride, no body roll or movement during braking or accelerating.
Old 10-11-02, 06:14 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by jahummer
Well, it will be interesting for you guys to note that my S430 has been in the shop for 2 days now to fix a few problems such as a window that goes up and down on its own, steering wheel goes up and down on its own, A/C problem, airmatic problem, etc.

I still find the S430 to be a superior drive than the Lexus products I have driven every one they made and owned a LS400 for a very long time) e.g. I never feel the Benz shift gears like I always found ALL of the Lexus products, quieter, smoother ride, no body roll or movement during braking or accelerating.
I wonder, how familiar are you with the new LS430? I have to admit, I test drove an S500 and an LS430, back-to-back with absolutely no familiarity with either car, and I found the Lexus to have a smoother shift, ride and less interior noise than the MB by far. I would admit, the overall driving excitement was greater in the MB, because you could actually hear the engine, you got better road feedback, but in terms of comfort and quietness, the LS430 won, hands down.
Old 10-11-02, 06:46 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

I actually pre-ordered a LS430 back in 2000 and when it finally came in, I was very impressed with the improvements over my '97, but very disapointed with the overall look as it reminded me of a Caddie.

Other than the pleasing note of the engine, I find the Benz to be a quieter and smoother ride. But that's my opinion.
Old 10-12-02, 04:20 AM
Dema
Pole Position

I did an interesting test. My wife has no clue about cars and can't distinct S from LS. So, I borrowed S and LS from friends of mine and drove her. She selected S without hesitation. I think S is women car in opposite to LS for men. You can do a similar test.
Old 10-12-02, 04:37 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by Dema
I did an interesting test. My wife has no clue about cars and can't distinct S from LS. So, I borrowed S and LS from friends of mine and drove her. She selected S without hesitation. I think S is women car in opposite to LS for men. You can do a similar test.
I don't think I completely understand what you're trying to say here. Your wife alone is enough evidence to suggest women are partial to the S-class, whereas men are partial to the LS430? That's interesting ...
Old 10-13-02, 08:20 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I drove the S500 next to the LS430 when we were shopping for my dad last year, I can't see how anyone would say the S500 is quieter or smoother, the LS is worlds quieter in ride and isolation, not a fault of the MB, it isnt designed to be as smooth or quiet as the LS430.
Old 10-14-02, 08:59 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Maybe there was something wrong with the LS430 I ordered? What about my '97 LS400?
Old 10-14-02, 02:10 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Originally posted by Dema
Brand name concept. The people who don't do their homework (when deciding on which car to purchase) often pick a car with a "brand name" to it. In this case, Mercedes Benz (although the Lexus name and image is still growing).

Quick Reply: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430