LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt possibly dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 02:05 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
Great thanks for the link - its for the 96 as you say.

This is the kit I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AJZMI8 It comes with the accessory belt too, and several assorted seals.

Maybe I should get new dissy caps and rotors, on 240K? I do hear some valve chatter these days, not sure if all this will help.
Oh yeah, that's a good kit, it has everything. And most of it (Maybe all) is OEM parts. Make sure you use the right WP gasket b/c that kit has 2. When I did mine I used the gasket and high temp sealer on the water pump. Don't use any sealer on the T-stat, it doesn't call for it and you don't need it. I'd suggest getting the caps and rotors if you can afford it, it's not that much more, you'll already have them off anyway. Then the only thing left would be plugs and wires, but those can be done afterwards.
Old 04-24-11, 02:25 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your original plan would have worked. You have to have the correct number of teeth between each mark. So if you lined it up exactly you would be okay. However being even one tooth off can mess up the timing.
Old 04-24-11, 05:10 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are there two WP gaskets?

lex2001 - sure thing there, lining up by teeth count, not by actual distance. I even heard of some belts with 2 more teeth than the OEM! WTF?
Old 04-25-11, 05:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

lex2001 - sure thing there, lining up by teeth count, not by actual distance. I even heard of some belts with 2 more teeth than the OEM! WTF?
The difference in the gaskets is probably for a wide variety of engines the whole kit can be used with, cheaper to throw in another gasket then to have seperate kits made up. Same thing with sparkplug wires, ya get 3 coil wires.
2 more teeth on a belt?? I never heard of that. It's supposed to have 209. If it has more teeth then the tensioner would have to come out more which, wont happen. My first belt I bought was a Dayco which stretched after 14K miles and the tensioner couldn't handle the extra 1/16 of an inch and it jumped. I can't even imagine an extra 1/2 inch. This time I got a Gates belt, we'll see how this one works out.
Old 04-25-11, 01:32 PM
lex2001
Driver

Here is a 1996 LS400 diy.

http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm
Old 04-25-11, 02:28 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note: The water pump is not included in the DIY link provided by lex2001.
Old 04-25-11, 02:40 PM
lex2001
Driver

Sorry about that. I just did a quick look to make sure it had pics. Yes definitely change the water pump while you are in there. Good catch Etex.
Old 04-25-11, 02:53 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

dont panic, 90-97 have 209 teeth, 98 & up have 211. just get your facts lined up.
Old 04-25-11, 04:42 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

So I have a metal gasket with a thin bead of seal, and a synthetic cork-like gasket. Same shape completely. Which one for the LS?
Old 04-25-11, 08:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

So I have a metal gasket with a thin bead of seal, and a synthetic cork-like gasket. Same shape completely. Which one for the LS?
mine just had the metal gasket
Old 04-25-11, 08:26 PM
chadr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone will have an opion, but permatex right stuff replaces about any gasket you need except those that surfaces in contact with fuel

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

I use this on my cars and dirt bikes. It is expensive compared to other permatex products but one tube will go a very long way. Best part is no time to dry, no need to do any special torque sequence. Just put it on and bolt down.

By the way, I used this for my water pump replacement last week. The lexus pump I purchased came with a tube of toyota/lexus form in place gasket material as well but I didn't use it. I now have two brand new tubes - the other tube I got was for the transmission pan but I won't use it. I'll go with permatex right stuff.

Not trying to start a debate over what to use, but pre cut gaskets and waterpumps didn't sound right for a ls400. At least not on my 93.
Old 04-25-11, 08:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

or a headgasket...

Originally Posted by chadr
I know everyone will have an opion, but permatex right stuff replaces about any gasket you need except those that surfaces in contact with fuel

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

I use this on my cars and dirt bikes. It is expensive compared to other permatex products but one tube will go a very long way. Best part is no time to dry, no need to do any special torque sequence. Just put it on and bolt down.

By the way, I used this for my water pump replacement last week. The lexus pump I purchased came with a tube of toyota/lexus form in place gasket material as well but I didn't use it. I now have two brand new tubes - the other tube I got was for the transmission pan but I won't use it. I'll go with permatex right stuff.

Not trying to start a debate over what to use, but pre cut gaskets and waterpumps didn't sound right for a ls400. At least not on my 93.
Old 04-26-11, 12:12 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey Dean, when I did my water pump I had the cork like gasket that came with it. I used that and sealer and it hasn't leaked yet, 15K miles. Maybe the metal type gasket is for the 95-97, Idk. In the pic for the kit you ordered, the two gaskets look different, not just material type. The link that Lex2001 and I posted does show the WP changed. I would read that one and the one on lexls.com for references.
Old 04-26-11, 05:08 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Ok cheers Dean, the two gaskets are actually the same when you hold them together - pic must be generic. I called the sellers and they said to use the metal one.

I've got both tutorials printed out. Just need some time now!
Old 04-26-11, 05:11 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

One thing I don't get - how to stop the crank shaft from turning to get off the bolt. Manual says to get their tool to hold onto the pulley. On my rover I put a bar into the flywheel housing to stop the thing.

I also saw a post somewhere that said you can hold the bolt with a breaker bar and turn over the engine?

Quick Reply: Timing belt possibly dumb question