LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Changed plugs on my 98 LS400 today

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-02, 12:35 AM
Slick_LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Changed plugs on my 98 LS400 today

Changed plugs today on my 1998 LS400 today. The car was running fine, but since I bought it with 47K on it, wasn't sure what kind of condition the plugs were in. The car now has 49K on it. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Purchased NGK Iridium factory plugs to install - part number IFR6T11. As someone on the forum stated before, the left side is fairly easy. You need a 10 inch extension, 10 mm socket, 16 mm deep socket , and I used a 3/4 inch ratchet. Remove the screw that holds the coil in place on each plug. Gently pull out on the "coil over" bushing and it will eventually free up, and you can pull it out about an inch - then disconnect the Molex plug. This plug was kind of stuck on some of the plugs and was difficult to remove, so I used a flat head screw driver and used a little leverage.

Once you unplug the Molex connector, the coil is free of any attachments and you can pull it all the way out - the each "coil over" is about 6 inches in length. Using your 10 inch extension along with the 16 mm socket, you can unscrew the plug. But because the 16 mm deep socket has no way to grab on to the plug once it's removed, I had to use a loose screw grabber and grab the spark plug by the top and pull it out. Rear plug on the drivers side is a little difficult, since the brake fluid reservoir is kind of in the way. So I used a 6 inch extension with a swivel adapter attached to the 16 mm Socket to loosen the plug.

Now comes the right side. The plug closest to the firewall is easy, since nothing is in the way. in order to get at the other 3 plugs, you have to remove the 2 screws holding part if the intake and undo the 3 hoses attached to it - along with undoing the clamp on the hose going into the air filter assy and the clamp holding on the air filter assy that leads into the engine.

Once you have removed this assy, you can remove and install the other 3 plugs.

NGK factory plugs list ~ 14 dollars apiece. I gaped each plug at 0.043. The guy sold them to me for 10.00 each The car runs great and has better acceleration. Also change the air filter and air conditioning filter while I was at it.

Next, I'll replace my front two rotors. Local dealer wanted $ 530.00 for this. Has to be a cheaper way :-)

Thought this might be useful for someone else.

Later
Old 09-23-02, 02:39 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Attn: Admin

Wouldn't this be a good article for DYI area.

Do we have such a area on this forum?

Last edited by LS007; 09-23-02 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 02:54 AM
SilverFlare
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next, I'll replace my front two rotors. Local dealer wanted $ 530.00 for this. Has to be a cheaper way :-)
Hi welcome!!!

I need to replace my front rotors, too but no luck on finding....

Brembo don't make them... is it possible to resurface the rotors in stead of replacing them even the rotor bend??

thankx
Old 09-23-02, 03:07 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SF..

did you look into that break group buy?
Old 09-23-02, 02:37 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bremb

There is not much of that rotor to begin with, so I would not recommend "turning" them.

Bradi is a division of Brembo , & should be available for $70.00
or so each.
Old 02-20-07, 08:58 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VideoNavi

This is definitely a great spark plug how to for 98-'00!
Thanks.
Old 02-20-07, 10:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

il add it to my faq and repost it later on when i do mine and throw some pics to his tut.
Old 02-20-07, 11:30 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VideoNavi

We'll add it to the FAQ PD has made.
Old 02-21-07, 12:43 AM
CrazyHawaiian
Driver School Candidate

About the rotors, they will need to be measured so you can find out if there is enough material left to be turned and still be within spec. Its very possible the rotors can just be turned and you won't need to spend the $$ on new ones, but it would depend on how your specific brakes are wearing (uneven wear will lessen the possibility of being able to turn them). If there is not enough material then you'll need to buy new ones. Getting rotors turned does not require special factory equipment, any shop with a lathe should be able to do it, my local parts shop does it for $10 per rotor. Getting the rotors measured should be free.
Old 02-21-07, 01:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its a 5 year old thread man
Old 02-21-07, 07:49 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I spent a good 1/2 hour searching for this tutorial....great to now have it at arm's length. Drifter, I plan to do the swap sometime this week, so if you want, I'll be happy to take the pics.

Another good thing to add is the spark plug type. I'm installing Denso IK20's (.4mm electrode) which is a higher performance plug (but may last only 30k miles).

Grand_LS & PD, thanks for keeping this site informative!

Last edited by lexusnutt; 02-21-07 at 08:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-21-07, 03:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I spent a good 1/2 hour searching for this tutorial....great to now have it at arm's length. Drifter, I plan to do the swap sometime this week, so if you want, I'll be happy to take the pics.

Another good thing to add is the spark plug type. I'm installing Denso IK20's (.4mm electrode) which is a higher performance plug (but may last only 30k miles).

Grand_LS & PD, thanks for keeping this site informative!
yea sure, take the pics and load them up to the gallery (you'l have to resize them, and do them 1 at a time, the gallerys been messed up for a while now ) and PM me the links to them.
Old 02-21-09, 12:02 AM
LS4LEX
Driver School Candidate

Great Post! Thanks for looking out!!!
Old 02-21-09, 07:12 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sticky please

This deserves to be STUCK...
Old 02-21-09, 07:19 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS4LEX
Great Post! Thanks for looking out!!!
guys this thread is years old...

www.lexls.com has a guide on doing your rotors etc...

we dont really need this thread.... not to mention the OP only posted once on this site.

Quick Reply: Changed plugs on my 98 LS400 today