LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 ls400 transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:26 AM
csperberg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 ls400 transmission issue

ok i have a 91 ls400 with almost 270k on it, bought it used no clue what has or hasnt ever been done to it. I had been starting to get a hard clunk noise if i let off the gas then would give it some. Then one day i was driving home on the highway when all of the sudden it pretty much seemed like it slipped out of gear, rpm's but not engaging and then it just went back into gear. The following night once again on the highway it does the same thing but this time it never goes back into gear.

I had it towed to a place, the guy just said i need a new transmission gave me a quote to get a used one, parts, labor, tax, etc $1415 ($650 for the transmission it's self). I didnt get into any specifics of why he thought I needed it, as in known broken parts etc. So I am not sure exactly myself what the garage saw during their inspection. I wanted to ask the mechanic who actually looked at the car today when I went to pay to have it towed back to my house, but he was gone.

Well anyway what it does is this, when i put it into either reverse or any of the drive gears you can hear it like spinning almost like it wants to grab a gear but can't. it sounds as if it is almost coming from the rear of the car, though I am not for certain i was trying to listen in the car. then if i try to put it back in park it makes a loud higher pitched grinding sound, as it's trying to stop. It will not engage any gears at all period. I am probably sure this isn't a very good situation.

Now what I want to know is should i try anything else before I spend money on it to get fixed? just from reading other threads seems like these are pretty tough transmissions and being I am not an expert in such things thought maybe replacing the tranny filter and old fluids maybe might be the issue, or if there might be anything else maybe not an entire transmission even. Maybe it would just be better to sell the car as a parts car to someone who wouldnt mind spending the money to fix it up or already has a 91.

I figure I would just throw this out there and give it a little while see if anyone answers and offers any suggestions or opinions. If I could salavage it so it works again for a much more affordable price I would, but if it is going to run that type of cash I dont see the point being I only paid $2500, that would be more than half of the cost i spent on the car. I could virtually spend just a little more get another 91 and then just this one as a parts car if i was to spend that much money on fixing it.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this. if any other questions from me are needed just let me know, i dont always get on to the site but i will try to answer back as fast as i can too.
Old 04-12-11, 11:42 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

did you check the transmission fluid level while the car is running and in park check the fluid level and the color if it is brown to black the fluid is burned if it is red the fluid is good I have 260,000 on my 1991 ls 400 and no tranny problems I pump the trans fluid through my trans cooler every 4 months 4 quarts at a time use type 4 toyota trans fluid or mobil one synthetic the type 4 is less expensive and it is what Lexus calls for. Good luck also if you buy another car probably more problems ????
Old 04-12-11, 12:16 PM
gambooby
Rookie

how often do you think you guys should replace the tranny fluid?
Old 04-12-11, 12:26 PM
csperberg
Driver School Candidate

fluid does look and smell like it could use a change, it's not totally black or brown but not nice and fresh red nor slightly warn pink either. I am just wondering if it is worth the money to spend on changing the fluid and filter, could this cause this major of a problem? I know far less than paying to replace the tranny, but any not needed spent money is good too. If though it would be recommended to give it a shot I would too. I am open to suggestions before throwing in the towel.
Old 04-13-11, 09:16 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have the pan dropped and clean the screen which Lexus uses instead of a cotton filter this will get rid 3- 4 quarts of fluid then after you do that and you drive the car for about 10 minutes you can change another 3-4 quarts by using the drain on the bottom of the trans pan. Do one or two more drains if this dosen't work then I suspect the trans is gone bad. Go to toyota and use type 4 toyota transmission fluid. I CHANGE MY TRANS FLUID EVERY 20-25,000 YOU CAN ALSO DRAIN FROM THE DRAIN PLUG UP EVERY 20,000 THIS WILL HELP KEEP THE FLUID CLEAN AND DROP THE PAN EVERY 50,000 TO CLEAN THE SCREEN THEY USE FOR A FILTER. I think you can use dexron 3 type transmission fluid to cut cost on the transmission fluid on the old lexus since it is so bad dexron 3 will work DONT FORGET TO CLEAN THE SCREEN AFTER DROPPING THE PAN GOOD LUCK
Old 04-13-11, 02:56 PM
csperberg
Driver School Candidate

thanks. I'll give it a go and see how it goes.
Old 04-13-11, 05:29 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I would have the pan dropped and clean the screen which Lexus uses instead of a cotton filter this will get rid 3- 4 quarts of fluid then after you do that and you drive the car for about 10 minutes you can change another 3-4 quarts by using the drain on the bottom of the trans pan. Do one or two more drains if this dosen't work then I suspect the trans is gone bad. Go to toyota and use type 4 toyota transmission fluid. I CHANGE MY TRANS FLUID EVERY 20-25,000 YOU CAN ALSO DRAIN FROM THE DRAIN PLUG UP EVERY 20,000 THIS WILL HELP KEEP THE FLUID CLEAN AND DROP THE PAN EVERY 50,000 TO CLEAN THE SCREEN THEY USE FOR A FILTER. I think you can use dexron 3 type transmission fluid to cut cost on the transmission fluid on the old lexus since it is so bad dexron 3 will work DONT FORGET TO CLEAN THE SCREEN AFTER DROPPING THE PAN GOOD LUCK
Dont use Dextron, use toyota type IV only. Dont clean the screen just buy a new one they are really cheap if you dont buy it from lexus or toyota. Let us know how it goes though.
Old 04-14-11, 05:48 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus 1 on T4 fluid..I soaked the old filter in gasoline and blew it through with compressed air..Perfect end result
Old 04-15-11, 11:08 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by gambooby
how often do you think you guys should replace the tranny fluid?
Depends how long you want to keep the car. My opinion is no more than 50K.