LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ls400 fender liner removal question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 07:06 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ls400 fender liner removal question!

so i maxed out my megans on some 18s and whenever i hit a bump hard my tires would rub on the top part of the fender liner and my uca would hit the body of the car. The uca problem i know how to fix, my question is with all those harnesses and wires under both front fenders of the ucf10, what did you guys do with them? did you cut and extended them or tuck them up higher?? or what?? im just afraid that the tire will chew them up after a while.

please help! haha i have been searching, but all i found were diys on the sc and etc.

TIA
-alvin
Old 03-28-11, 09:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'd recco trimming the portion from ~10 o clock - 2 o clock with a fat razor (or a dremel, hot razor will leave a cleaner cut iirc) and unbolt it, leaving the rest of the pieces in.

generally only rubs at the top anyways.

i've been running almost no liner on the pass. side and full liner on the drivers side for the like the past year now? lol.
Old 03-28-11, 11:54 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i'd recco trimming the portion from ~10 o clock - 2 o clock with a fat razor (or a dremel, hot razor will leave a cleaner cut iirc) and unbolt it, leaving the rest of the pieces in.

generally only rubs at the top anyways.

i've been running almost no liner on the pass. side and full liner on the drivers side for the like the past year now? lol.
thats what i am gonna do most likely. but wouldnt the tire tear up the harnesses on top of the fenders?? or did you experience anything like that?

oh and mine rubs on both sides haha it actually started to slice little gashes on the liner after i got back from work right now lol
Old 03-29-11, 12:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

mine looked like lace after i pulled it out from when i was running a 245/35-20 front (now 225/35-20).

if i was any lower i would destroy my fenders, so unless you're on 18s/19s with undersized tires you should be ok. but if you are having issues you can just relocate the harness/put a piece of pvc pipe over the harness.(not metal conduit, you'll either create grounding issues or shred a tire if it gets a crack)
Old 03-29-11, 12:30 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

oh i see. im running 225/45/18s right now and maxed out my megans without adjusting the preload so im not too low. maybe tires are too big? haha

dang i hope i dont have to cut the harnesses and extend them.

oh and btw there is a spine along where the harness is attach, wouldnt the tire hit that before the harness itself?
Old 03-29-11, 01:00 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem is the aspect ratio on your tires. Those are way too tall. I have a UCF10 basically the same car with the exact same maxed out megan suspension. I am running 225/40/18's with no fender liner rub whatsoever ( I also have the dampening on all 4 corners set to 0) I hope this helps. I would reccommend the Federal SS595. They stretch well and wear out well. Also they run a bit meaty for 225's so you dont have to worry about over stretching. Its a perfect stretch on my 18x9.5's.

Good Luck!
Old 03-29-11, 01:27 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by radiokilla
Your problem is the aspect ratio on your tires. Those are way too tall. I have a UCF10 basically the same car with the exact same maxed out megan suspension. I am running 225/40/18's with no fender liner rub whatsoever ( I also have the dampening on all 4 corners set to 0) I hope this helps. I would reccommend the Federal SS595. They stretch well and wear out well. Also they run a bit meaty for 225's so you dont have to worry about over stretching. Its a perfect stretch on my 18x9.5's.

Good Luck!
thanks for the reply! yeah thats what i was thinking too. dammit just bought brand new front tires. maybe raising the megans an inch might help??

do you have a problem with the UCA hitting the body of the cars on bumps too??
Old 03-29-11, 01:34 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

u dont have to cut and extend. Just take off the plastic loom and stretch the wire out to get more slack. Re-wrap it in electrical tape and tuck it up higher with some zip ties and duct tape. I did it to mine on both sides, by the time I did it the plastic loom was already ripped to shreds, almost ate through 1 wire.

As for the fender liner, mine is only cut at the portion nearest to the area where you roll. If your tires rub the fender liner like mine does, it'll only last like a week at most and then you'll rub through the portion where it touches your tire and you wont rub anymore
Old 03-29-11, 01:52 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vincent123
u dont have to cut and extend. Just take off the plastic loom and stretch the wire out to get more slack. Re-wrap it in electrical tape and tuck it up higher with some zip ties and duct tape. I did it to mine on both sides, by the time I did it the plastic loom was already ripped to shreds, almost ate through 1 wire.

As for the fender liner, mine is only cut at the portion nearest to the area where you roll. If your tires rub the fender liner like mine does, it'll only last like a week at most and then you'll rub through the portion where it touches your tire and you wont rub anymore
oh alright thats great to hear! i dont like cutting up wires and all that..imma give that a try tomorrow since im off work. hopefully i dont have to raise up my car a lil or get smaller tires. =/

oh btw idk if you remember me or not man but i helped you try to roll your miata's fenders at tommys a while back haha
Old 03-29-11, 02:12 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Do.Man
thanks for the reply! yeah thats what i was thinking too. dammit just bought brand new front tires. maybe raising the megans an inch might help??

do you have a problem with the UCA hitting the body of the cars on bumps too??
MY UCA only hit on REALLY MASSIVE bumps. otherwise its smooth sailing from there. I know there is a user called BLKonBLK98 who has done the UCA clearance modification. basically in order for it to not hit you have to cut a small hole in the shock towers.
Old 03-29-11, 02:26 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

MY UCA only hit on REALLY MASSIVE bumps. otherwise its smooth sailing from there. I know there is a user called BLKonBLK98 who has done the UCA clearance modification. basically in order for it to not hit you have to cut a small hole in the shock towers.
dang.. my uca feels like it hits on every bump..i mean i was on the 10 fwy and all i hear was the uca hitting over and over, but then again it was the 10 fwy haha
Old 03-29-11, 02:46 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Are your fronts maxed out? If they were I could see that being a constant issue.
Old 03-29-11, 03:06 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Are your fronts maxed out? If they were I could see that being a constant issue.
yeah maxed out haha looks like the uca clearance diy is what i gotta do..
Old 03-29-11, 03:21 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

oh hey, yeah i remember you. Long time ago lol, miata is long gone. Let me know when you do the UCA clearance mod, as I need to do mine as well
Old 03-29-11, 11:51 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Dang. Well,Here is a picture of my front ride height. Dialed into here it will not cause the UCA'S to hit all the time while still being pretty low on 18's.

Any lower than that the undercover will catch on just about everything. How do you drive like that?? Well, from what I understand people do is that they use a hole saw to cut into the shock tower right above where the UCA is hitting. It's relatively easy to measure where they are hitting based on dents in it. I have not done this mod so I would search for someone who has done it like BLKonBLK.

Quick Reply: ls400 fender liner removal question!