LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

intake for first gen LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-02, 05:24 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up intake for first gen LS

that is my intake.
First: big thanks to jbrady for great advice about LS intake on that forum about one week ago
I made my mod after your and in my 91 LS intake is some different from 99LS. But I simple cut big hole in air box cover and remove two covers: one from headlights and one from side marks(for more fresh air).

I drove and my father drove car for about 300 miles.
We have the same impressions:
1. car is more louder but only when on hard throttle, but no big and that sound is awesome!!! I love it!!!
2. That mod work. Car have more power for sure. I know what I talking about. That is no subjective cause car is louder. My own butt-g-sensor tell me that there is more hp that before. Not 1 or 2 HP but more. I can easily feel difference. Car revs faster, pull stronger, is more fun as before. Is really faster. It is BIG difference

Once again, thanks jbrady!
BTW
I try insert my first picture on that forum so if it is not there, not be very angry, guys.
And sorry for my English
Attached Thumbnails intake for first gen LS-air.jpg  
Old 08-25-02, 05:26 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice on the DYI intake. Sounds like a project that is worth the while since there's basically no money being spent and it gains more power.
Old 08-25-02, 06:35 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try this mod with my blitz filter and try to work it out.

The new Blitz intake that i just put in is much better than my previous HKS intake.I can really feel the power difference with this one.
Old 08-26-02, 12:56 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

JTJ, I am happy to have helped!!! Thank you for the credits

I agree that the engine sounds GREAT. As you say, there is very little noticeable change unless you are WOT (wide open throttle) and then it is in the high rpm that the engine really sings...

If you get a chance see if you can take a picture of the areas that you opened up around the headlight and marker. I see the covers but am unfamiliar with the 1st gens. This should help encourage other performance minded people.

By the way, did you make any type of heat shield? I recommend blocking as much under hood heat as possible. Cold air from in front of the radiator, below the bumper, in the fender area, any area that is no receiving direct radiation and thermal heating will be good choices.
Old 08-26-02, 01:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

JTJ, also if you could take a picture of the stock inlet area of the filter cover with a ruler next to it for scale. I have a feeling that this area is smaller than the 95+ boxes and if this is the case there may be a better gain for the 1st gens than later cars. Next time I remove mine I will measure the area and take a picture with a ruler for comparison. I also need to build an nanometer as shown in the BFI link in my other post. The nanometer is used to determine the relative pressure/vacuum in any areas that are tested. I need to test the area between the throttle body and the MAF.
Old 08-26-02, 02:39 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jbrady
I can't take pictures and post before is Sunday (September 1)
Now car is in parents house. I looked thoroughly at headlight area and noticed that I can only remove that covers as I pictured. In first gen, that covers covered holes in STEEL sheets. In first gen there is not that PLASTIC headlight seal as on your picture, only that cover I pictured. There is not as much free space around filter as in 99 LS too. Filter fit in that area VERY tight. I agree that heat shield could help little especially in traffic.
Anyway IMHO it is great mod. Much better results that open air filter lid and KN filter in C4 corvettes. (I have vette too and made that mod - everyone made it in vettes).

With all plastic engine covers that mod is invisible.
In Sunday of course I will post all pictures you asking.

Jerry