LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie With Power Steering Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 11:47 PM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie With Power Steering Pump Leak

This item is leaking power steering fluid, bad..it's connected to the pump. It has two lines coming off of it. Does anyone know what it is? When I look online at new pumps I don't see the item connected to the new pump. The item appears to have a good size nut attaching it to the pump or canister. This picture was taken from under the car looking up at the pump.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-11, 11:48 PM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

oh, It's a 95 LS
Old 03-09-11, 11:52 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

This is the ACV valve. Air Control Valve. Or it could have a diff. name. Anyway, do a search it's well documented on this board.

Purpose is to provide lighter steering effort at low rpm's I believe. It's well known to leak and is about $90 from Lexus or Toyota to replace. M,ost including myself have removed it and replaced it with a bolt and blocked the two opposite ends off where they meet the intake (I blocked with rubber hose and wheel studs) and noticed no difference in steering - the valve only performs a slight effect.

Here's a couple threads on it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...acv-valve.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-and-acv.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-ps-pump.html
Old 03-09-11, 03:03 PM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

Steve, thank-you very much for the reply and great information provided. Makes total sense to just remove and plug it with a bolt. I had already plugged the hoses up at the other end which stopped the white smoke issue on start up. Do happen to recall the size of the bolt needed to plug with? And does it need any kind or compound or teflon plumbers tape added to the threads before installing bolt?

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-11, 05:48 AM
twofanman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the attached page from repair manual FMI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air_Control_Valve_SR-92.pdf (39.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 03-10-11, 07:10 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bdshomes
Steve, thank-you very much for the reply and great information provided. Makes total sense to just remove and plug it with a bolt. I had already plugged the hoses up at the other end which stopped the white smoke issue on start up. Do happen to recall the size of the bolt needed to plug with? And does it need any kind or compound or teflon plumbers tape added to the threads before installing bolt?

Thanks again.
Sorry - I bought a new pump that had a bolt already in it so I don't know the size. DO a search or check out the tutorials at http://www.lexls.com/

Search "power steering bible"
Old 03-10-11, 01:39 PM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys..I REALLY appreciate your assistance and provided links..will let you know what size it is for future people wishing to do the same with adding the bolt.
Old 03-10-11, 01:49 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

i think it is 14M x 1.5 for the 95 ls as well.
Old 03-11-11, 09:33 AM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Alvin, I appreciate your reply and information..I will give it a try.
Old 03-11-11, 04:18 PM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

I went to the parts department at Sewell Lexus in Dallas to see if they could give me the exact size of the bolt needed as well as see if they had one I could purchase. The parts guys seemed skeptical of the procedure I was hoping to achieve. They wound up pulling the bolt out of a new pump and then using it to find one out in the shop that matched and they did and gave it to me. The mechanic doing the bolt search kept shaking his head and snorting saying I would notice a big negative difference in how the steering turned at slow speeds if I abandoned the AVC valve. Bolt is now in and the ONLY difference I can detect is my garage floor no-longer has a big puddle of fluid on it.

By previously plugging the hoses above to stop the white smoke on start up issue, I had already deactivated the ACV's purpose anyway. Zero difference in steering by adding the bolt..so glad to get this moppy mess solved.

Thanks again guys..
Old 03-11-11, 06:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshomes
I went to the parts department at Sewell Lexus in Dallas to see if they could give me the exact size of the bolt needed as well as see if they had one I could purchase. The parts guys seemed skeptical of the procedure I was hoping to achieve. They wound up pulling the bolt out of a new pump and then using it to find one out in the shop that matched and they did and gave it to me. The mechanic doing the bolt search kept shaking his head and snorting saying I would notice a big negative difference in how the steering turned at slow speeds if I abandoned the AVC valve. Bolt is now in and the ONLY difference I can detect is my garage floor no-longer has a big puddle of fluid on it.

By previously plugging the hoses above to stop the white smoke on start up issue, I had already deactivated the ACV's purpose anyway. Zero difference in steering by adding the bolt..so glad to get this moppy mess solved.

Thanks again guys..
if you care to argue with him you could point out that the SC400s from the same years had power steering pumps without the ACV.
Old 03-12-11, 10:34 AM
bdshomes
Driver School Candidate

Interesting! I wonder what he would have said had I known that information yesterday? Thanks man!